Project corrupt

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ArthurInmedia

Project corrupt

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi guys,
I'm New to the group and also what about Davinci.
Unfortunately my initial experience with the use of this software was a bit traumatic, because on my second job realized with Resolve I had a very big problem. While I was doing the color of a clip, the program crashed and I appeared the window that I have Attached.
I saved the project as indicated and closed the application, but when I restarted the software and opened the project, of which as you can see in the image you could also view the preview, after uploading up to 99% the program Closes.
I state that I have already done several tests to reopen the previous work and I had no problem, but does not want to open the second Project.
I contacted Blackmagic support and verified with them the features of my PC and there are no problems.
Being in the experimental phase with DaVinci I have not created a backup unfortunately, but it is possible that there is no way to recover the project or part of this?
You are my last hope before I must surely reassemble the whole!
Thanks in advance for your help
Attachments
Cattura (1).JPG
Cattura (1).JPG (62.98 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

Marc Wielage

Re: Project corrupt

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:14 am

What happens if you launch Resolve and just stay in the Project Manager (the screen that displays the list of projects)? Will it let you get that far?

If it does, it's possible you could select the project that's shown there, right-click on it, and Export a copy of it to a different drive. Once that's finished, import that exported project, bring it back in with a new file name, and see if it opens.

If it doesn't, call and send a copy of the file to Blackmagic Support and see what they say.

It's a good practice to always export a copy of the project every day if it's something you're going to be working on for a long time (or even several days). Resolve is generally pretty stable, but under some hardware/OS conditions, things can go south very quickly (as they can with any program).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

ArthurInmedia

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks Marc for your reply.
When I open the project from Project manager I get the loading window indicating 97% and some times it uploaded to 100%, but immediately after I get "Critical Exception or the project manager remains open without anything happening.
I also tried to export the project to another disk, obtaining a folder .dra containing the media files and the project, I also tried to rename but I did not get anything.
I have already sent everything to the support but I have not given so many hopes.
I'm starting to resign myself to reassemble everything :(

Marc Wielage

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 12:57 am

ArthurInmedia wrote:I also tried to export the project to another disk, obtaining a folder .dra containing the media files and the project, I also tried to rename but I did not get anything.

What if you just export the project (.DRP) and not an archive (.DRA)? In theory, this should work.

If the project is corrupted, then there won't be anything useful to import.

Right before I end a project, I usually will export XMLs for every time line as well as DPX/DRX stills, on top of the DRP session files. The hope is that -- worst case -- I could rebuild the edit timelines with the XMLs, and then rebuild all the color with the DPX Gallery stills & grades. I've only had to do that twice in 8 years, both times because of a hard drive failure, but it can work under emergency conditions. But I've also had cases where an exported DRP fixed problems that the original DRP had. Only BMD Support can say for sure in your case.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve