Question on USB-C Flash Disk Formatting

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Marshall Harrington

Question on USB-C Flash Disk Formatting

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 2:55 pm

What's your suggestion as to what you recommend as 'best practice' for formatting the USB_C Flash Disks. In camera or on computer followed by OS X Extended versus exFAT? Having gone through this with the other camera's found each one was different.

Certainly have heard over and over that formatting in camera will bring you closest to what the camera needs. But found with the original BMCC that OS X Extended formatted from by the computer worked best. With the original Pocket always formatted with the camera exFAT. With the Micro the same and exFAT was the only format that supported high frame rates.

Blackmagic and everyone else, could you illuminate.

Thanks.

rick.lang

Re: Question on USB-C Flash Disk Formatting

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Marshall, I expect I’ll be using exFAT from either the computer or the camera. It’s a little more risky if the camera shuts down without any warning, but I’ll be on sufficient power so that’s not an issue here. I believe exFAT is just a little easier for the camera to write to and the card to record than HFS+. Not to mention it is cross-platform. Best practice is format in-camera. If there’s an issue, then format in-computer.
Rick Lang

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks Rick. What I figured but always good the check with the source. I keep remembering Kholi saying he'd always formatted from the computer to OS X Extended… always. That made me stop and think something I try not to do to often as it leads to other things.

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:19 am

BMD used to tell you to format in camera religiously. Now the camera manual advises either way is acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Anatoly Mashanov

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Formatting in-camera is preferred because it appears that camera applies TRIM because it accelerates the writing. It also means that after formatting the previous contents are irreversibly lost. I tried to use /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-exfat and /usr/ports/sysutils/exfat-utils long ago (when in-camera option was not yet developed) and it works too.

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:50 pm

I remember a time, not that long ago, when N
BM and everyone was saying, “pros only reformat on a computer, useually data wranglers, after Off loading footage, and Never in camera, that was an accident waiting to happen... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography