Strange Audio Echo Glitch in Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PaleoCris

Strange Audio Echo Glitch in Resolve 15

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 am

Hello folks,

I am really hoping somebody can help me figure this one out. I've been working on figuring this out for a while and it's starting to drive me crazy. I hope I can clearly explain the problem.

When I take a bunch of clips and place them in Resolve, occasionally I'll get one with a very slight echo that seems to go from the right to left speaker, or vice versa. Sometimes it's significant enough to make it sound like a word was said twice, and then the rest of the same clip will be perfectly in sync. If I double click on the audio channel itself, it will open up just the audio instead of the video also, and that will play perfect with no echo...It's mostly when the video is playing back that it happens (but it will occasionally happen in Fairlight also, but that's less common). I looked closely at the actual audio waveform and there's no reason for the audio echo. It seems to come from nowhere, even when viewing the audio on each separate channel.

Many times after clicking on the audio channel in the edit tab, the stuttering/echo will disappear, but it will pop up randomly in some other place. These stutters do render out into the final video...if they didn't, I could live with working around them.

I am on verson 15.0.0B.037. I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I'm using 1 AMD Radeon HD 7700.

Let me know if you have any ideas or need more info...This problem has been plaguing me for a while and I'd be in your debt if you can help.

-Cris

Uli Plank

Re: Strange Audio Echo Glitch in Resolve 15

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:06 am

Yes, we need more info:
– How much VRAM does your GPU have?
– Which resolution is your timeline?
– Which codec is your source?
– Are you aware that W7 is not officially supported in Resolve?

It could just be that your machine is underpowered, please check the config guides.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am

There is also a chance you are listening to system audio as well as the monitor audio which is delayed.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

PaleoCris

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks for the help so far! It probably goes without saying, but I am not only a huge noob when it comes to Davinci Resolve, but also video editing.

- The GPU has 4 gigs of VRAM.
- Where would I find the timeline resolution? Under project settings, I see 1920x1080 listed. Is that it?
- Source files are MP4
- I actually was not aware W7 was not supported, but I have finished and rendered almost a dozen videos prior to this problem showing up...so hopefully that's not the issue.

Peter, I did read a vague comment about system audio being somebody's problem when they described a very similar issue to mine, but I couldn't figure out where to check for that in Resolve 15. The problem is very sporadic, though...The first 10 seconds of a clip may be perfect, then there will be 1 second of a stutter/echo, then back to normal for the duration of the clip....and the stutter will repeat in the same place until I move the clip, or double click the audio channel to open up the waveform and just listen to that.

Thanks again for the help....I rarely ask for help anywhere online, preferring instead to research and figure out stuff myself, but this definitely has me stumped completely.

-Cris

PaleoCris

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Another little update with additional info (I looked for a way to edit my post above and include this info, but did not see a way):

I found the timeline resolution and it is, indeed, 1920x1080. I tried changing this and it did not have any effect on the audio echo stuttering.

I also found out that, in almost all cases, the echo starts within 3 seconds of beginning a new clip, and only lasts for 1/4 of a second or so. The speaking in the video will go "So, I was just looking-looking at this..." and "These things are all ov - all over the place!" There is no glitching in the video playback where this happens, and as mentioned above, this does not happen if I double click on the audio of the clip to open the waveform and listen in the edit tab...it plays perfect if I do that, and the audio plays perfect outside of Resolve. The stuttering happens in the Edit tab, the Fairlight tab and the Deliver tab. I mentioned above that moving the clip would sometimes fix the glitchy audio, but I may have been mistaken. Now no matter where I place the clip in the timeline, or if I put it on a new channel, it still glitches in the exact same spot.

I opened a brand new project and imported only the clip that was echoing into it...It echoed again, but at a slightly different place in the clip (ahead about 1 additional second).

I have invested a significant amount of time over the last month and a half learning this software, hence me reaching out for help. I'd really rather not have to learn anything else, and I think Resolve gives me a ton of room to grow as I learn, which I like.

-Cris

John Paines

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 7:06 pm

This behavior sounds like it's related to audio performance when first starting playback. You can get both pre- and post-echo, from the previous and current clip, respectively, and failure to play the first one or two frames of the current clip.

The audio frame skipping was reported "addressed" in this beta, but that doesn't appear to be so.

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 am

Try to convert some of your clips to DNxHD and see if the problem persists.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 am

I'm leaning toward a system limitation.
You list the GPU as AMD HD 7700 and that you have 4GB of vram.

But from my quick search it looks like that card has 1 or 2GB of ram, so im wondering if you have 4GB of system ram, not Vram.

Please list more system details. W7 is not a good start but at least we can see if the balance of your system is viable.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

audiovisual

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:56 pm

I have had this problem consistently in Resolve 15 on my brand new Macbook Pro. Upgraded to the latest version of Resolve Studio and no changes. What I do to make it go away instantly is select the clip having the issue, right click or option click and select "Remove Attributes." Then I select the box next to Audio Attributes and click Apply. Then I do a Command+Z or Undo so that my audio attributes are back the way they were.

Echo/Delay glitch is instantly gone.

I have times when I open Resolve and a session for the first time and the problem is back. I will select all clips and Remove Attributes to all the Audio. Then Undo. Back in business with perfect sound again.

Annoying!

jayfor

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 pm

The same thing happened to me this morning after going back to an edit from a week ago. I opened the project and Resolve 15.1.2 was playing it back with an echo. I've never had this happen before so I did what the poster above suggested and selected everything and removed attributes and the echo was gone! This is a great temporary fix, but if I close out of Resolve and open the project back up again, the echo returns. Really strange glitch! Let's hope Black Magic fixes this sooner than later.

jmadeja

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi, I have the same glitch. But it only happens on track one. If I move the audio down to track 2, it goes away. Comes right back on track one. I've removed all attributes and still have the problem. I'm having to work around by building sub mixes.

stevo604

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 5:01 pm

I have the same glitch, which was caused by adding Noise Reduction on the Fairlight page. When I turn off the Noise Reduction in the clip attributes the echo goes away. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the caching because it only happens after closing and re-opening a project.

CalvinSalt

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 8:31 am

I have the same phenomenon.
Adding noise-reduction on a clip in Fairlight page will cause the clip audio have a serious echo when re-open the project.

Does anyone know it will be fix or already fixed in Resolve 16?

DonnaB

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 3:27 pm

I have the same problem. I've been adding Noise Reduction to clips on a project when suddenly the entire audio track developed a serious echo. If I switch Noise Reduction off, the audio I'm left with is out of sync. Does anyone have a proper fix for this? I have many audio clips, and they are all affected. Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

DonnaB

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 2:34 pm

I finally gave up and exported the audio to Audacity, did the noise reduction there and imported the edited files. That worked a treat.

mohamed591195

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 7:42 pm

I think I have found a solution for this problem, hope it help you guys.
first you will right click the audio track
then from the the appearing menu click Clip Attributes
then from the top menu click on Audio
then change the format from Mono to stereo -- this was the default in my situation coz the audio file is mono

then you will notice that a new channel added which labeled Right channel
you will need to change its value from Mute to Embedded channel one
and here you get rid of this issue for ever !

Return to DaVinci Resolve