Streaming via OBS > Youtube. Shuttle, Ultrastudio, Web Pres?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

HerrGregory

Streaming via OBS > Youtube. Shuttle, Ultrastudio, Web Pres?

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 11:40 pm

*The main points are in bold*

Hey all,

The school I work for would like to stream events/performances that take place on location (same network). We have a Canon XF105 and a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 206 (USB 3.0, it should work according to the thread on which computers work). I've streamed before using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) and Youtube Live with a DSLR and Digicam software with very poor results.

So I'm looking at a plethora of devices here and am a little overwhelmed with what I need without going overkill. I don't need more than 1080 (couldn't anyway with this camera) and only have a USB 3.0 connection. The general consensus from what I found on other threads is to use the Intensity Shuttle for being a capture card. Then I've seen the Ultrastudio and Web Presenter suggested as well which is why I'm a little confused.

What software can I use for a live view so OBS can display on the stream?

Cheers,
Gregory

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Streaming via OBS > Youtube. Shuttle, Ultrastudio, Web P

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 11:37 pm

The current UltraStudio lineup is Thunderbolt only (there used to be an UltraStudio SDI with USB 3.0 support, but it has been discontinued).

So if your laptop lacks a Thunderbolt port, the Intensity Shuttle (USB 3.0) or Web Presenter (USB 2.0) are the remaining options.

The Intensity Shuttle can capture video up to 1080p30 or 1080i60 in part due to the higher bandwidth of USB 3.0. Early on there were some compatibility issues with the Intensity and USB 3.0 support on some laptops, but most of those seem to have been resolved with newer laptops. The Intensity Shuttle lacks an SDI input (HDMI is the only digital input).

The Web Presenter has both HDMI and SDI inputs and can accept much higher input resolutions (up to 2160p60). However, it downscales the input video to 720p30 for capture by a computer (in part to fit within the USB 2.0 spec).

So any of these devices will let you view the input video in OBS, it mostly depends on what kind of connectivity and video resolution you need.

HerrGregory

Re: Streaming via OBS > Youtube. Shuttle, Ultrastudio, Web P

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 2:55 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:The current UltraStudio lineup is Thunderbolt only (there used to be an UltraStudio SDI with USB 3.0 support, but it has been discontinued) ...

Thanks for the information! The XF105 can only shoot up to 1080 and, because it's in great condition still, I don't think my school would be replacing it anytime soon. So, I guess I'll go with the USB 3.0 variant of the Intensity.

Thanks again for the help

Return to Live Production