Blackmagic RAW Player for Windows

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Miltos Pilalitos

Blackmagic RAW Player for Windows

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 pm

When is it coming?
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

carlomacchiavello

Re: Blackmagic RAW Player for Windows

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 am

When they go out to beta phase. Actually braw, implementation of braw on ursa mini pro is all beta working.
When they out to beta they add braw to pocket4k ad eventually to mini4.6k, add more tools on resolve and probably develop a player for windows. At today is better they develop good that exist, you can simply install resolve free everywhere you need to play braw clip and go

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Miltos Pilalitos

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:When they go out to beta phase. Actually braw, implementation of braw on ursa mini pro is all beta working.
When they out to beta they add braw to pocket4k ad eventually to mini4.6k, add more tools on resolve and probably develop a player for windows. At today is better they develop good that exist, you can simply install resolve free everywhere you need to play braw clip and go

I am sorry but i don't understand half the things you are saying. Why are you saying that BRAW is in BETA? The SDK is already released on Windows.

Considering the largest Windows user-base it is kind of surprising and disappointing that the OSX version is the only one currently released.

However, i am sure those hero devs are already on it. I only hoped for an ETA from the source.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Sorry, I wrote from smartphone and something are messed. OS X is a simplier os where to write software that access to hardware then windows, where a large different hardware can cause many different issue. Braw sdk allow people to read and access to braw data from a lots of software, I just see importer for Nuke and I think early we can see vlc implementation on every Os.

michaeldhead

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 7:22 pm

Miltos Pilalitos wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:When they go out to beta phase. Actually braw, implementation of braw on ursa mini pro is all beta working.

I am sorry but i don't understand half the things you are saying. Why are you saying that BRAW is in BETA? The SDK is already released on Windows.

Considering the largest Windows user-base it is kind of surprising and disappointing that the OSX version is the only one currently released.

However, i am sure those hero devs are already on it. I only hoped for an ETA from the source.

It is in beta in the UMP.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Mark Grgurev

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:OS X is a simplier os where to write software that access to hardware then windows, where a large different hardware can cause many different issue.

Not really. APIs exist for the sole reason to make supporting a bunch of hardware very simple and support for Cuda and OpenCL decoding of Braw is already in the dlls in the SDK. The player would just have to use those same DLLs and have some simple code to access the side car files to apply any necessary changes.

Kel Philm

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 1:42 am

Strangely BM seem to have a thing for Apple, not sure why. BM brings extraordinary gear at reasonable prices to the masses, Apple brings reasonable gear and extraordinary prices to its dwindling market share.

joe12south

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 am

You guys have never developed for Windows or Android, have you? The homogeny of Apple hardware/software along with rich, modern API's make RAD (rapid application development) of betas much simpler. Proving out your 1st party code on MacOS/iOS removes a lot of variables before having to take into account the wide variety of Windows/Android hardware/software (OS.)
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joe12south

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:OS X is a simplier os where to write software that access to hardware then windows, where a large different hardware can cause many different issue.

Not really. APIs exist for the sole reason to make supporting a bunch of hardware very simple and support for Cuda and OpenCL decoding of Braw is already in the dlls in the SDK. The player would just have to use those same DLLs and have some simple code to access the side car files to apply any necessary changes.

I can't decide if you sound like someone who has never programmed, or you sound like a programmer. Both groups are notoriously bad at estimating effort. ;-)

Kel Philm

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 5:24 am

joe12south wrote:You guys have never developed for Windows or Android, have you? The homogeny of Apple hardware/software along with rich, modern API's make RAD (rapid application development) of betas much simpler. Proving out your 1st party code on MacOS/iOS removes a lot of variables before having to take into account the wide variety of Windows/Android hardware/software (OS.)

Been programming 30+ yrs, since I was 10yrs old, ex software engineer, still writing code (plugins usually) for Windows. With 10 times more windows PC's than Mac's it doesn't make sense (unless you embrace Apple). And yes it is easier to develop for a certain locked down spec (e.g. a Mac that contains last years PC hardware) but its not that bigger deal. Apples API's and RAD are not that different to MS's, and for me I know which platform I prefer to work on.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 pm

joe12south wrote:You guys have never developed for Windows or Android, have you? The homogeny of Apple hardware/software along with rich, modern API's make RAD (rapid application development) of betas much simpler. Proving out your 1st party code on MacOS/iOS removes a lot of variables before having to take into account the wide variety of Windows/Android hardware/software (OS.)

That's one of those comical myths that seem to go around quite a bit.

Ever heard of DirectX and .NET?

It would appear not...
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Kel Philm wrote: Apples API's and RAD are not that different to MS's, and for me I know which platform I prefer to work on.

That's because Apple's APIs are mostly imitations of Microsoft's, as are most of the current Java APIs like JPA. Except for the ASP.NET MVC stuff, which is an imitation of Ruby on Rails.

Apple even imitated Linq, as did Snoracle, though Snoracle's version is miserable to work with unlike Microsoft's, which I regularly use as a replacement for SQL.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

joe12south

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Hehe. And everyone thought camera nerd battles were fun.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 5:56 pm

joe12south wrote:Hehe. And everyone thought camera nerd battles were fun.

Certainly more fun than working! :mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Let’s see it seems about a quarter of the people here have a background in IT, and another quarter are scientists (many mathematicians or physicists), and another quarter are photographers who are ready for cinematography, and the other quarter are near the centre of the Venn diagram formed by the first three categories. Sure I’m speaking generally. We all know there’s at least one real cinematographer in the group but that’s hardly statistically significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 7:02 pm

joe12south wrote:I can't decide if you sound like someone who has never programmed, or you sound like a programmer. Both groups are notoriously bad at estimating effort. ;-)

I've done a bit of programming before.

Like I said, the decoder is most of the work and their SDK includes shaders that allow GPU acceleration on AMD and Nvidia GPUs, the only GPUs with any sort of significant market share in PCs. It's not like Android development where you have to worry about people being on older devices with weak GPUs while having to deal with the quirks of different drivers for PowerVR, Adreno, Mali, etc. devices.

Luca Rocchini

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 5:44 pm

Anyway!

Any updates about the Windows release? :roll:
Luca Rocchini DOP

URSA MINI PRO 4.6K, EF, PL, SSD Recorder, BM VA 4K, Nikon AIS

http://www.lucarocchini.com/

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Luca Rocchini wrote:Anyway!

No luca, it’s easier to install free resolve on windows and use Media manager to play, edit and export clip :-)

Anyway it’s funny that here (like in every other place of forum) we are plenty of developing experts under x platform, but people that really develop app and plugins are others

I think about developers of iOS and Android app for Blackmagic Design cameras, about windows plugin to read and develop braw under premiere, developer of plugin to read braw under Nuke, scratch and other software.
We are lucky that we have here many people interested to develop for all platforms, Blackmagic Design obviously develop for a platform that thought more comfortable for them, also be cause they release a free sdk, free rights to implement reading and developing. And with cameras (today Ursa Mini Pro, in future pocket4k and other ursa line) they release a pro app to manage it, anyone ear about Resolve?
Me too I would like to see a braw player under windows, I have a pc notebook, and I cannot install last resolve on it, but it’s not a so big problem.

Luca Rocchini

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 8:07 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:

No luca, it’s easier to install free resolve on windows and use Media manager to play, edit and export clip :-)

Anyway it’s funny that here (like in every other place of forum) we are plenty of developing experts under x platform, but people that really develop app and plugins are others

I think about developers of iOS and Android app for Blackmagic Design cameras, about windows plugin to read and develop braw under premiere, developer of plugin to read braw under Nuke, scratch and other software.
We are lucky that we have here many people interested to develop for all platforms, Blackmagic Design obviously develop for a platform that thought more comfortable for them, also be cause they release a free sdk, free rights to implement reading and developing. And with cameras (today Ursa Mini Pro, in future pocket4k and other ursa line) they release a pro app to manage it, anyone ear about Resolve?
Me too I would like to see a braw player under windows, I have a pc notebook, and I cannot install last resolve on it, but it’s not a so big problem.

I understand but other brands do. My UMP it's not less expensive then an FS7 for example. If I work with directors that can't play it back on their machines, it just gives a reason not to move to Blackmagic for some.

Same for the apps. I don't like nor fancy an iPhone and clearly who doesn't have a budget to buy an Alexa or a RED camera won't spend 1K in a phone. I don't understand why Blackmagic doesn't develop an app for Android, makes more sense then iPhone to me - and to many.

Sorry but marketing wise Blackmagic doesn't always make much sense for my past experience with other brands at the same budget cameras.
Luca Rocchini DOP

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 9:04 am

Luca Rocchini wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:

I understand but other brands do. My UMP it's not less expensive then an FS7 for example. If I work with directors that can't play it back on their machines, it just gives a reason not to move to Blackmagic for some.

Same for the apps. I don't like nor fancy an iPhone and clearly who doesn't have a budget to buy an Alexa or a RED camera won't spend 1K in a phone. I don't understand why Blackmagic doesn't develop an app for Android, makes more sense then iPhone to me - and to many.

Sorry but marketing wise Blackmagic doesn't always make much sense for my past experience with other brands at the same budget cameras.

Fs7 can write in raw only with external recorder if I remember correctly and recorder is quite expansive (Sony or Odissey or Shogun).
That move the price upper then Ursa Mini Pro, but also if you shoot in cdng on UMP is not easy to play on every computer, like if you shoot in arriraw or red code, usually directors see the dailies did from DiT not raw files, or if they do, they do from DiT or camera.
They not move Tera of shooting on their computer.
If you work with directors that know to manage raw files, you are lucky. I often work with people that want dailies with lut and sometimes with a pre color pass, never want to see raw.
You can shoot with ursa also in Prores in different flavour, that need in fs7 external recorder, that is quite easy to read under win and Mac, and is not so bad to edit later for color ;-)
Anyway... Blackmagic Design decide this policy, me or you we are not enough big to change them, but can ask to VLC developer, they often add support to codec before many others.

Luca Rocchini

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 9:14 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Luca Rocchini wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:[quote="Luca Rocchini"]Anyway!

Fs7 can write in raw only with external recorder if I remember correctly and recorder is quite expansive (Sony or Odissey or Shogun).
That move the price upper then Ursa Mini Pro, but also if you shoot in cdng on UMP is not easy to play on every computer, like if you shoot in arriraw or red code, usually directors see the dailies did from DiT not raw files, or if they do, they do from DiT or camera.
They not move Tera of shooting on their computer.
If you work with directors that know to manage raw files, you are lucky. I often work with people that want dailies with lut and sometimes with a pre color pass, never want to see raw.
You can shoot with ursa also in Prores in different flavour, that need in fs7 external recorder, that is quite easy to read under win and Mac, and is not so bad to edit later for color ;-)
Anyway... Blackmagic Design decide this policy, me or you we are not enough big to change them, but can ask to VLC developer, they often add support to codec before many others.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk[/quote]I understand, but I will rather ask who I gave my money to.
Luca Rocchini DOP

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 6:27 pm

joe12south wrote:You guys have never developed for Windows or Android, have you?

Windows, yes. And you clearly haven't. DirectX abstracts the hardware away from the developer.

For the most part, the .NET framework and toolset are about the best programming environments available... which is why .NET Core is becoming quite popular even on non-Windows platforms.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Kel Philm

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 am

When is this coming? We all know the world is moving away from Apple, I can't understand why BMD are so slow to follow.

Ola Haldor Voll

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Literally came to the forum looking for answers now that BRAW is available for the Pocket 4K. Crossing fingers it won't take long.

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Hopefully they add it in now that the Pocket 4K is getting it. Hopefully also they optimize the player to run better on CPU focused laptops too because it's very choppy when playing on my 2013 MacBook Pro with lost Nvidia support.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 1:41 am

Another vote for a Blackmagic RAW Player for Windows, please.

Thanks!

John Richard

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 am

+1 for Windows Braw player.

sylvain

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am

I developed a simple braw player for windows while waiting for the official player.

It helps me to check braw files quickly without opening Davinci Resolve.

You can see the video on youtube
id: YfJnSErTaqQ
title: Blackmagic RAW Player alternative for Windows (no setup)

Edward Blume-Poulton

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 am

sylvain wrote:I developed a simple braw player for windows while waiting for the official player.

Thank you. Very handy. I just backed up my braw test files to an external drive attached to my non-Resolve computer and this means I can check anything I want to do something with on my Resolve computer without having to move everything or swap drives. Saves me quite some hassle until BM get theirs sorted.

Chris Shivers

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 8:47 am

i dont know why blackmagic only created it for mac and not windows

Chris Shivers

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 9:21 am

Australian Image wrote:
Chris Shivers wrote:i dont know why blackmagic only created it for mac and not windows

Macs are for 'creatives', so there's not much point in supporting non-creatives who wouldn't use or understand such things anyway. I'm one of the latter.

I see you’ve been watching those “I’m a Mac and I’m a PC” commercials lol

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 11:15 am

There are already some options available/coming:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=87606

I think better solution than waiting fo BM is to donate some money for Hendrik as his player is shaping nicely.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 11:22 am

Chris Shivers wrote:
Australian Image wrote:
Chris Shivers wrote:i dont know why blackmagic only created it for mac and not windows

Macs are for 'creatives', so there's not much point in supporting non-creatives who wouldn't use or understand such things anyway. I'm one of the latter.

I see you’ve been watching those “I’m a Mac and I’m a PC” commercials lol

i adore that commercials, anyway i use both, win and macOs, and a player on both Os are welcome.
Actually i use resolve free, Premiere with excellent plugin of autokroma, but a lighter solution are welcome.
I hoped that Vlc adopt braw.

Li Chenghan

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Miltos Pilalitos wrote:When is it coming?

These two articles may have the answer you want.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=87606

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87086
12-Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, 3700 MHz (37 x 100)
Asus ROG Strix X399-E Gaming
GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G
G.SKILL DDR4-3200 CL16 32G
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 1909
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K/BRAW 3:1 5:1

Thomas Schumacher

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 7:33 pm

sylvain wrote:I developed a simple braw player for windows while waiting for the official player.

Great, thanks so much. You developed this in one day? And for BM it takes ages...
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Edward Blume-Poulton

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 6:59 am

Australian Image wrote:

If you don't build it yourself, how does it get to be creative?

:)

sylvain

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 am

Thomas Schumacher wrote:Great, thanks so much. You developed this in one day? And for BM it takes ages...

and one more day for DirectX support :)
Because it's a minimalist app.

The version 1.0.3 is available here
seccia.com/files/tools/brawviewer.zip

I added thumbnails and "delete file" option (DEL key).

[img]bv.jpg[/img]
Attachments
bv.jpg
bv.jpg (117.74 KiB) Viewed 19086 times

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks for the update. Guess every WIN-user would have been satisfied if BM offered a minimalistic interim solution.

P.S. Update won't run on Win7 with DirectX v.11 - your helpfile says:
Please install DirectX 9.0c

Doesn't it work with newer versions?

Travis Ward

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Same problem. Can't install Direct X 9c on my W10 machines.
Travis Ward

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Just installed the older version - which already shows thumbnails anyway.

sylvain

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Ok thanks.

I updated the zip file with both versions (DirectX and GDI).

To use the DirectX version, you need to install "DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime" from microsoft website (I added the url in help.txt). It works on Windows 10 or 7 (I have W10). It won't change your current DirectX version. But if you don't want to install DX9 runtime, just use the GDI build.

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Thanks Sylvain, gdi-version works just fine.

Kel Philm

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 4:57 am

Thanks Sylvain,

Nice work!

Just a query for those that use Decklink cards, can this be simply integrated to allow playback via for example an in intensity Pro card?

Luc Laflamme

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Way to go Sylvain,

It is working flawlessly on my Win 8.1 system. Very useful !

Good job man !

-L
Cinematographer - Producer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU
64 Gig Ram DDR4
GeForce GTX 3080 12GB
ROG PG279Q
Focusrite Scarlett
Running on Windows 11

John Richard

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Thanks so very much Sylvain - very useful for quick review of shots.

Justin Jackson

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 pm

Sylvain... so awesome. Thank you for this. Maybe BM should buy it from you and offer it up! Just associated .braw to it and can now dbl click to view.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

pulalis

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Windows 10 is also very successful. thank you so much Sylvain.

Janis Lionel

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Maybe me I overread it somewhere: Is there a rational reason why BMD has not released a reader for windows? Or is this maybe part of their business with apple?
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Thank you Sylvain!
-

luxander

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Sylvain, wow man, awesome! Works likes a charm on Win10
Next

Return to Cinematography