Best Hardware for Resolve 15 and Fusion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lennart Holterman

Best Hardware for Resolve 15 and Fusion

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am

He There,

Is there a thread about ''best hardware for Resolve 15 and Fusion'' on this forum?

If not,....are there people in here which could tell me which hardware (Mainboard, CPU, GPU and RAM) would be best for Resolve 15 and Fusion?

I mean what is important to have, if you run Resolve 15 on your computer? Does Resolve 15 run mostly on the CPU? Or more on the GPU? How many RAM is needed?

I have a budget from around 2000€ for the (Mainboard, CPU, GPU and RAM)

I hope somebody can help?

Greetz Lenny

Brad Hurley

Re: Best Hardware for Resolve 15 and Fusion

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 am

All your questions will be answered here:

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... _Guide.pdf
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 am

Lennart Holterman wrote:He There,

Is there a thread about ''best hardware for Resolve 15 and Fusion'' on this forum?

If not,....are there people in here which could tell me which hardware (Mainboard, CPU, GPU and RAM) would be best for Resolve 15 and Fusion?

I mean what is important to have, if you run Resolve 15 on your computer? Does Resolve 15 run mostly on the CPU? Or more on the GPU? How many RAM is needed?

I have a budget from around 2000€ for the (Mainboard, CPU, GPU and RAM)

I hope somebody can help?

Greetz Lenny

Hi.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

In your price range can I see two possibilities:

The first will be to wait until 9th Januar 2019 when AMD CEO, Lisa Su, will be delivering the keynote for their CES 2019 presentation in Las Vegas. AMD already told us that she will speak about the world’s first 7nm high performance CPUs and GPUs.

The new 7nm dies will be 40% smaller than its predecessor and produce 40% more dies from a single Wafer. And either reducing the cost of manufacture or give us more performance from a new larger die with more transistors. The new 7nm or 10nm nodes are the future.

If you can't wait so long will I suggest you read my small Guide for a recommended build. Here is a copy for you:

'Carsten's hardware guide for DaVinchi Resolve. Version from 4. October 2018.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

nVidea have just introduced the new nVidea RTX 2080/Ti Graphics Card series with higher CUDA performance. For 4K choose one with 8-11 GB of vRAM. And more CUDA cores is better.
The Previus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB can be a good way to get one with 11GB of vRam, as more vRam is better.

There is a maximum of one graphics card in the free version of Resolve. If you want to use Noise Reduction etc. then you probably will need 2 GPUs with 11 GB vRam each and the paid Studie version of Resolve.

In the DaVinci Resolve 15 configuration guide is one of the suggestion on page 18 the AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU.

All AMD CPU's loves fast memory, and on page 36 under GIGABYTE Motherboard:

16GB (4x4GB RAM) DDR4-3200 SDRAM minimum
64GB or 128GB or more recommend for FUSION

Back in August AMD launched AMD Threadripper next generation with a little cheaper CPU's. For 4K work look at the new 16 cores 32 threads 2950X that get much better reviews than expected.

When I try to check prices don't I yet see any big price drops on the previous 16 core 32 threads Threadripper 1950X CPU's. So far for 16 core 32 threads CPU will I recommend the new 2950X.
While I currently see some large price drops on the 12 core 24 threads 1920X CPU's. It will be good as a entry level CPU for Rersolve.

Both the old and new Threadrippers CPU use a TR4 socket and a X399 motherboards. Suggest you to buy one with nice reviews. If you later want to upgrade to a faster CPU will I suggest you to
buy a Asus motherboard, as they can be upgraded to a TDP of 250 Watt by buying the X399 cooling enhancement kit coming later.
Make sure you inspect the Motherboards TR4 socket carefully for bent pins, before your insert the CPU into it. And for CPU's with more than 20 cores will I look for a motherboard with a 16+3 VRM circuit.

Look here for a Free NVMe RAID upgrade for AMD X399 chipset:

https://community.amd.com/community/gam ... 99-chipset

All motherboard have a QVL List you can find on the manufactures homepage. Here you can see what DDR4-Ram they have tested in that particular motherboard. The Configuration Guide recommend to use minimum DDR4-3200.

The cheapest recommended RAM is many times the G.Skill Flare X DDR4. The Flare X series is made special for AMD CPU's

The Threadripper CPU's have a 4 channel memory design. You will get the fastest system by using 4 DIMM's only, and leave the last 4 sockets empty.

Do you still have some questens you are free to ask.'

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Lennart Holterman

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 pm

[/quote]

In the DaVinci Resolve 15 configuration guide is one of the suggestion on page 18 the AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU.

[/quote]

He Carsten,

Thank you very much for your great help. I definitely have some more questions, but first I have to let it sink in all a bit, cause your great information is quite overwhelming to me. :D

I will come back to this post or send you a PM if that's okay for you?

Greetings Lenny

MishaEngel

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 12:31 pm

It all depends on your SOURCE material and how you Finish.

With 4k(24..30fps) input and output a Ryzen 7 2700x($300) and 1 or 2 VEGA's or GTX1080ti's is enough.

Since Threadripper 1920x dropped a lot in price ($450 + $70..150 for a cooler) this might be te better choice.
(quad memory, 60 free PCIe3-Lanes, room for upgrade to a 32 core).

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Lennart Holterman wrote: I will come back to this post or send you a PM if that's okay for you?
Greetings Lenny

Hi.

I prefer if you write to my in public in this forum, as other forum members then can comment or come with their own ideas.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Lennart Holterman

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 pm

[/quote]

Hi.

I prefer if you write to my in public in this forum, as other forum members then can comment or come with their own ideas.

Regards Carsten.[/quote]

Hi,
Yeah for sure, I will write here in the post.

I am doubting between building my own machine OR buying a Precision Machine from Dell.

Anybody has experience with a Dell precision Machine? I mean especially experience with the service, when something is wrong with the machine??

Lennart Holterman

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 3:40 pm

MishaEngel wrote:It all depends on your SOURCE material and how you Finish.

With 4k(24..30fps) input and output a Ryzen 7 2700x($300) and 1 or 2 VEGA's or GTX1080ti's is enough.

Since Threadripper 1920x dropped a lot in price ($450 + $70..150 for a cooler) this might be te better choice.
(quad memory, 60 free PCIe3-Lanes, room for upgrade to a 32 core).

Hi Misha,
Thanx for your reply. Both you and Carsten mention the AMD Processors. Is there any reason for this? Is an AMD processor better for Resolve 15 then an Intel processor?

And how important is ECC RAM for Resolve 15?
As I heard some people saying that this is much better.

Thanx in front
Greetz Lenny

Daniel Batinic

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Yes, there is a reason, with a budget of 2000€ you "can't" go with intel and have that numbers of cores/threads what amd can offer and at the same time have a gtx 1080 ti for example..
let's say you go with intel i9-7920X (12 cores/24 threads) + a good video card gtx 1080 ti, you are already over your budget (European prices, at least in Switzerland and Germany) and ther is RAM and MB still to count, PSU and maybe decklink too?
See, for that budget is better to go with amd not because amd is better but because you will get something "better" in that price range (less money for higher core count and more money left for other components). Carsten already described what is used what what kind of work (CPU, GPU, VRAM, RAM etc..)

It also depends what your workflow is, what kind of footage you are wokring with (HD, 4K, 6K, 8K?) file fomrats or codecs (RAW, cndg, h264...?). Davinci Resolve (FREE) or Studio?....
Broadcast Video Engineer
Colorist

MishaEngel

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm

AMD is better because they deliver more performance per dollar/euro.

ECC is more expensive and slower than non-ECC memory. ECC-memory is more important for server tasks (banking, etc...).

You first have to answer the most important thing.

What is your source material (resolution, fps, bit-debth and codec) and how do you want to deliver (resolution, fps, bit-depth and codec). Without knowing these things any advice is meaningless.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:20 am

Lennart Holterman wrote:I am doubting between building my own machine OR buying a Precision Machine from Dell.

The HP Z8's are also extraordinarily good (as were the previous-generation 840s).

There are several companies out there that specialize in building high-end workstations specifically for VFX and color. Three I know of in the U.S. are VFX Technologies in Culver City, CA, Puget Systems in Washington, and Colorscene near Atlanta. Puget Systems also publishes tech reports every so often showing their tests with current CPUs & GPUs plus Resolve:

DaVinci Resolve 15: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 & 2080 Ti Performance
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... ance-1238/

Be aware that there's some interpretation involved, and there are people who disagree with Puget System's conclusions. I think they're in the right direction, but a lot of this stuff is very new and will depend heavily on the source file format and timeline resolution. Price range and your expectations are huge factors as well.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Lennart Holterman

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 am

MishaEngel wrote:You first have to answer the most important thing.

What is your source material (resolution, fps, bit-debth and codec) and how do you want to deliver (resolution, fps, bit-depth and codec). Without knowing these things any advice is meaningless.

He Misha,
Thanx for your reply. And sorry for not mentioning for what i Use Resolve before in the post.

I use Resolve and Fusion (both Studio versions) to create Fun & Learn Videos for kids. I merge my Keyed footage from my characters over an 2D Cartoon background. These 2D backgrounds are created from a real 3D cartoon world inside Fusion.

NEW_CHAIR0177.jpg
NEW_CHAIR0177.jpg (47.25 KiB) Viewed 12243 times

I used to do all the compositing in Fusion, which is not ideal, cause Fusion hasn't got an ideal timeline to work with my keyed characters. Since resolve 15 has a fusion tab, I have been considering to do most of it in Resolve. . My workflow would be the following then:

* I will key and denoise the footage (4k - 422) in Fusion and export it as:
-EXR files with 3840x2160 resolution
-Depth - 32 bit float
-Compression -Pxr24 --> each exr is around 6 till 7 mb

* Then I will load the keyed footage in Resolve 15 with a 2560x1440 Timeline and export it as a Quicktime file with a H.264 codec.

* The color grading and compositing I will do on it are the following:
-I will have 3 video layers: 1 background + my 2 keyed out characters
-All the 3 video layers get their own Lut applied
-And in the Fusion tab I will create a lightwrap for the keyed out characters
-And then some simple effects like a camera shake or something like that

I have got no idea if this helps, in advising me what kind of hardware I should buy. But it is worth the try :roll:

Thanx in front
Lenny

MishaEngel

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 10:32 am

It helps a bit, for the CPU choice it's important to know what kind of codec you're using.
When it's a long-gop codec it's kind of hard for the CPU (AVC-codecs from panasonic GH4,5, etc.. Sony A7, etc...). The more FPS and resolution the more data you have hence more work for the GPU.
Since you work a lot in Fusion a lot of RAM is nice to have.
You didn't mention your output render (UHD of Full-HD)?

Looking at your budget € 2000 I think it's best to go the Ryzen7 route

Ryzen 7 2700x incl cooler € 320
MotherBoard X470 € 140
RAM DDR4 3200 cl16 2x16 GB € 270
System and software drive Samsung EVO 970 512 GB € 125
Scratch drive Samsung PRO 970 1 TB € 380
Video card VEGA 64 € 570
Power supply 650 Watt(minimum) € 100

some spinning drives for storage + case and you are already over your budget.

Lennart Holterman

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 12:04 pm

MishaEngel wrote:You didn't mention your output render (UHD of Full-HD)?

Looking at your budget € 2000 I think it's best to go the Ryzen7 route

Ryzen 7 2700x incl cooler € 320
MotherBoard X470 € 140
RAM DDR4 3200 cl16 2x16 GB € 270
System and software drive Samsung EVO 970 512 GB € 125
Video card VEGA 64 € 570
Power supply 650 Watt(minimum) € 100

some spinning drives for storage + case and you are already over your budget.

He Misha,
Thanx for your great recommendations! My output render is 2560x1440 Quicktime H.264, cause I create videos for youtube.

And about the budget,...damnn that goes fast with the money spend :-) You made me realize that I probably have to spend a bit more. I also have some stuff, that I can reuse: the case, 1x M.2 Drive, 1x SSD drive, 1x HDD drive

So spending a bit more money, I was thinking to go for something like what you mentioned before:

CPU- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, 12x 3.50GHz
MB- Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
RAM- I don't know which fits for this? Do you think i need ECC memory
GPU- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G, 11GB GDDR5X, DVI, 2x HDMI, 2x DP
PSU- I don't know which I need --> but I guess at least 1000w ??
Watercooler- I don't know --> but at least something with TR4 --> to fit the CPU + Motherboard

It will probably cost me 2700€, but this extra money is probably worth it I guess??

What do you think?
Thanx in front Greetz Lenny

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 12:40 pm

MishaEngel wrote: System and software drive Samsung EVO 970 512 GB € 125

Hi.

The X470 motherboard only have 20 PCIe lanes from the Ryzen 7 CPU. 16 PCIe lanes is used for the Graphics card only leaving 4 PCIe ver 3.0 lanes left for the SSD. As I see it is the X470 chip set only designed for ONE M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD at full speed.

There are mainly two ways the motherboard manufacturers try to give the user possibilities to use a second SSD at reduced speed.

On is to use the slower SATA output from a m.2 SSD. But the SATA will only run at max 6 Gbit/s that is the same as 600 MB/s.

The other is to RUN the second M.2 x4 SSD from the port from the chip set. But then you don't have PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD speed, but only the HALF PCIe 2.0 x4 SSD speed.

I know the problem, and here is the first link coming up when I tried to Google it:

'Is M.2 SSD support on AMD motherboards causing confusion?'

https://bit-tech.net/blogs/tech/storage ... nfusion/1/

This is one of the reason that I recommend the Threadripper solution above.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Lennart Holterman wrote: RAM- I don't know which fits for this? Do you think i need ECC memory

Watercooler- I don't know --> but at least something with TR4 --> to fit the CPU + Motherboard

Hi.

I just want to make sure you don't get confused. The Ryzen 7 is a dual channel design and the Threadripper is a 4 channel design.
Don't buy the RAM DDR4 3200 2x16 GB for a Ryzen 7. But Buy RAM DDR4 3200 4x8 GB for the Threadripper.

And You don't need ECC.I will recommend you NOT to buy ECC.

Every motherboard have a RAM QVL List. Look at it for the motherboards you look at.

For Cooler will I suggest you to look at AIR Coolers for TR4.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Lennart Holterman

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 3:04 pm

Don't buy the RAM DDR4 3200 2x16 GB for a Ryzen 7. But Buy RAM DDR4 3200 4x8 GB for the Threadripper.

And You don't need ECC.I will recommend you NOT to buy ECC.

For Cooler will I suggest you to look at AIR Coolers for TR4.

Regards Carsten.

He Carsten and all the other people in this post, thank you for your great help. I have to admit that I am quite overwhelmed with all this information. I am slowly understanding more of it, so sorry for keep asking questions. I am much more of a creative guy, and not so much the technical guy. So I am fighting myself through the Jungle of Hardware :D

Good that you mentioned the M.2 problems with the X470, cause I definitely want to have: 2 fast 512gb Samsung 970EVO m.2 SSDs. One for my system and one for caching + current project footage
So the X470 is a no go then.

Just to confirm:

if i buy a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X, 12x 3.50GHz, with a Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7. motherboard --> Then I am fine isn't it?
Cause this MotherBoard has 3 x M.2 slots for fast M.2 cards --> 2x M.2/​M-Key (PCIe 3.0 x4/​SATA, 22110/​2280/​2260), 1x M.2/​M-Key (PCIe 3.0 x4/​SATA, 2280/​2260/​2242)

If i would like to have 64 GB RAM for the Threaddripper--> then I would buy 4x16 GB RAM DDR4 3200? Cause of the 4 channel design of the Threaddripper. I am thinking of 64GB, cause I also work in Fusion 9. And many people advise to get at least 64 GB RAM for Fusion 9.

For Cooler you suggested you to look at AIR Coolers for TR4.
--> why is this? are they better then the watercoolers?

Thanx in front
Have a good weekend
Greetz Lenny

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi.

Most have to make compromises in their selections, but I don't think the X470 is the way to go.

All Threadripper X399 motherboard can have up to 6 or 7 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD's at full speed. Some on the motherboards and some on PCI add in boards.

The Configuration Guide recommend 64 GB or 128 GB for Fusion. 4x16 GB RAM DDR4 3200 is the correct way to do it. Look at the RAM QVL List on the manufacturers web page to see what RAM modules they have tested.

No, Air coolers will not be better than Water coolers. But for a 1920X will they be more than enough.
Actually AMD showed the 32 Cores 64 Threads Threadripper 2990WX CPU with a Cooler Master AIR Cooler on a trade show.
And Enermax LIQTECH TR4 360mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler got 36% 1 STAR rating in customer reviews on Amazon.com, so don't buy it.

Here is a copy of what I wrote about coolers in an another thread:

'Many generation 1 Treadripper system is build with water cooling. But now have Cooler Master in corporation with AMD developed an Air coler for the Threadripper CPU's.
It works with both generation 1 and generation 2 CPU's. But it is huge. It is so huge that on some X399 motherboards it cover the first PCI x16 slot, where you normally want to mount one of your Graphics Cards. So when using the Cooler Master Threadripper Coolers on some X399 motherboards can you only use one Graphics Cards. The problem is the actual distance from the CPU socket and to the first PCI slot.

An alternative with a less cooling can be the Noctua TR4 cooler. As I remember do Noctua make 3 different coolers for the TR4 Threadrippers with different physical sizes. The largest giving the best cooling.

In this link under 'MAINBOARD COMPATIBILITY' can you see what TR4 Threadripper X399 motherboards they have tested:

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-coole ... ocket_4092

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

MishaEngel

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
MishaEngel wrote: System and software drive Samsung EVO 970 512 GB € 125

The other is to RUN the second M.2 x4 SSD from the port from the chip set. But then you don't have PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD speed, but only the HALF PCIe 2.0 x4 SSD speed.

Regards Carsten.

Do you really think that 4 PCIe 2.0 lanes is to slow for a system drive?
2 GByte/s is blazing fast and the I/O speed of the SSD which is way more important for a system drive stays the same.

Using a TLC drive as scratch is not a wise choice (to slow after the cache is used and less TBW).

Try a sata SSD, it's faster in booting your computer than any other drive.

Lennart Holterman

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:

The Configuration Guide recommend 64 GB or 128 GB for Fusion. 4x16 GB RAM DDR4 3200 is the correct way to do it. Look at the RAM QVL List on the manufacturers web page to see what RAM modules they have tested.

Thanx Carsten,
I am understanding much more now of this whole Hardware stuff :-)

I have checked out the QVL for the motherboard that I want and i found some RAM suitable for the board.

One thing I don't really understand:

Resolve recommends a PSU of at least 1000w. But if I check on http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ --> then they recommend me to get 650w after I did the calculation.

Do they recommend 1000w or more,.....so there is room for upgrade?

And would it be good to buy a GPU from Amd, if you have a CPU from Amd as well?
Or is it also fine to buy a Nvidia GPU, if you have an Amd CPU?

Thanx in front
lenny

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 9:32 am

Hi.

There is two different ways to look at the needed capacity of a power supply. One is to look at what is available on the market and then write a size that will fit most.

The other is to calculate what each part is consuming. That will give a more accurate value.

But don't run a power supply at 100% or near 100% load. Personally I never go above 80% of the actual capacity. And I think 70 % is a safe spot.

And that is from the actually capacity. Most power supply manufacturers have some requirement for their watt rating that never will be met. One is the temperature. A 820 Watt power supply can may be only delivering 820 Watt at 20 degrees centigrade. But if you build it into a PC cabinet, will you never be able to operate it at 20 degrees centigrade.
Others from the mid range brands may be are to optimistic with their watt ratings.

So my advice must be to buy one with good reviews from a top brand and with a little to high watt rating and keep it within 70%-80% of the calculated power consumption.

And it is fine to buy a Nvidia GPU, together with an Amd CPU?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Lennart Holterman

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 7:04 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:So my advice must be to buy one with good reviews from a top brand and with a little to high watt rating and keep it within 70%-80% of the calculated power consumption.

And it is fine to buy a Nvidia GPU, together with an Amd CPU?

Regards Carsten.

He Carsten,
Thanx for all your great help :-) It's being much appreciated!!

Have a good day
Lenny

Lennart Holterman

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 2:50 pm

He There,
I have another question:

My Mainboard has 3 x M.2/​M-Key (PCIe 3.0 x4) slots

So now I am wondering how I should use these? And how many GB I should buy per PCIe SSD?

I was thinking to buy:

-1 x (PCIe 3.0 x4) SSD with 500 GB -Read 3400MB/s Write 2300MB/s --> for System (windows + all of my software)

-1 x (PCIe 3.0 x4) SSD with 500 GB -Read 3400MB/s Write 2300MB/s--> for my footage for the current project + the project itself

-1 x (PCIe 3.0 x4) SSD with 250 GB -Read 3400MB/s Write 2300MB/s --> for caching

The question is: On which drive shall I write my Final render?

Or is there another way how I could set this up smarter?

Thanx in front.
Greetz Lenny

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 11:51 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:"64GB or 128GB or more recommend for FUSION"

I think it's very telling that Resolve per se can run on as little as 16GB of RAM, but Fusion is pretty demanding and can use up to 128GB of RAM.

In some respects, it's like being too thin or too rich in Hollywood: it's never enough.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 am

i've seen v15 useing 30gig all by it's little self, no Fusion in use;
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (17.18 KiB) Viewed 11878 times

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 5:03 am

Lennart Holterman wrote: The question is: On which drive shall I write my Final render?

Hi.

I don't like you idea to buy two 512 GB SSD and one 256 GB SSD. I will suggest you to buy 3 similar 512 GB SSD, as I think it will make future SSD reconfigurations easier.

I have never tried to run Resolve on RAID. But I wonder if 3 SSD in a free AMD RAID isn't faster than running 3 SSD as separate drives. Here is the AMD link again:

As I see it will it be the same userwise if you use 2 - 3 different catalogs instead of 3 different drives.

If testing shows it is a bad idea for Resolve, can you always go back to setting up your 3 SSD up as individual drives.

And this way you just write your Final render to a catalog.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Lennart Holterman

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Lennart Holterman wrote: The question is: On which drive shall I write my Final render?

Hi.

I don't like you idea to buy two 512 GB SSD and one 256 GB SSD. I will suggest you to buy 3 similar 512 GB SSD, as I think it will make future SSD reconfigurations easier.

I have never tried to run Resolve on RAID. But I wonder if 3 SSD in a free AMD RAID isn't faster than running 3 SSD as separate drives. Here is the AMD link again:

As I see it will it be the same userwise if you use 2 - 3 different catalogs instead of 3 different drives.

If testing shows it is a bad idea for Resolve, can you always go back to setting up your 3 SSD up as individual drives.

And this way you just write your Final render to a catalog.

Regards Carsten.

Thanx Carsten,

For your reply. I might try this thing with a RAID. But first of I want to work with 3 different drives. Like I described earlier.

Somebody recommended me to use a 1 TB SSD drive for System (Windows + All of my software) instead of a 500 GB SSD.

This doesn't make sense to me cause:
on my current system I have a SSD of 500GB for my system (Windows + all of my software) and this only uses 61 GB, so there is 414 GB free space for windows and the software to run on. My footage from current projects + the caching are located on other SSD's. So the only thing I use this 500GB SSD drive for is having installed WIndows + my software on it. So therefore I don't understand what difference it would make to buy a 1 TB SSD instead of a 500GB SSD. I mean I allready have 414 GB free space if I use a 500GB drive. If I would buy a 1 TB drive then I would have 914 GB free space.

I would think this 414GB of free space is enough for windows + the software to run on.

What would you say to this?

Thanx in front
Greetz Lenny

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 am

Hi.

A few years ago the 128 GB and the 256 GB was slower than 512 GB SSD and larger. It is the way it is build.
I think, that can be the can be the reason, people recommend SSD as large as you can afford. Today I think the future is a RAID of SSD's. But somebody have to try it with Resolve.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Lennart Holterman

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:33 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

A few years ago the 128 GB and the 256 GB was slower than 512 GB SSD and larger. It is the way it is build.
I think, that can be the can be the reason, people recommend SSD as large as you can afford. Today I think the future is a RAID of SSD's. But somebody have to try it with Resolve.

Regards Carsten.

Thanx Carsten,

But at this moment you would say that a 500GB SSD for system (Windows + software) would be big enough?

So you would recommend to go for the 3 x 500 GB,...so you have the RAID option in future, if potentially somebody has tested Resolve with a RAID.

Thanx in front
Lenny

MishaEngel

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Lennart Holterman wrote:
Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

Regards Carsten.

Thanx Carsten,

But at this moment you would say that a 500GB SSD for system (Windows + software) would be big enough?

So you would recommend to go for the 3 x 500 GB,...so you have the RAID option in future, if potentially somebody has tested Resolve with a RAID.

Thanx in front
Lenny

A 500 GB cheap NVMe drive is fast and big enough for Windows + software (Samsung 970 EVO 500GB or equivalent). For the scratch drive (looking at your input and output) get a Samsung 970 PRO 1 TB.
The 970 PRO 1 TB is fast enough in both (sustained) read and write.

I have an 960 evo for system and software and 4x512 GB 960 Pro in raid-0 for scratch for 8k red footage 8192x4320 Full Resolution - Uncompressed DPX (RGB, no alpha) 16 bits 4.75 GByte/s.

The 970 pro 1 TB can handle 2.5 GByte/s sustained write which is more than enough for 2560x1440 60 fps 16 bits/s

Return to DaVinci Resolve