Pan Tilt Heads + Control - BlackMagic Micro Studio 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jdrake

Pan Tilt Heads + Control - BlackMagic Micro Studio 4k

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 10:55 pm

Hello,

I'm the video director for a non-profit organization that uses five Blackmagic Micro Studio 4k cameras, in addition to three in-house PTZ cameras, to capture live jazz concerts.

I'm looking for suggestions on what Pan Tilt Heads and controllers are recommended for the Blackmagic Micro Studio 4k. My goal is to control three Panasonic HE PTZ cameras, and five BlackMagic Micro Studio 4k cameras through a single camera controller.

Thanks in advance.

Xtreemtec

Re: Pan Tilt Heads + Control - BlackMagic Micro Studio 4k

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 am

Well Panasonic and Visca (The protocol that comes from the BMD cameras) are not compatible in any way.. So get them up and running from the same control panel is not an option!!.

Also the PTZ control on the BMD cams are only to be controlled from the Atem Control Panel. Or 3rth party controllers with SDI control..

Also heads that accept Visca protocol that will take the Micro studio camera are hard to find..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Daniel Binder

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi,

Look at Skaarhoj for controllers that can do Visca, Panasonic and Blackmagic cameras at the same time.
That said, I still have to come across a proper P/T head that works for the Blackmagic Micro Studio cameras - and you have the issue with finding motorised zoom lenses for the BMMSC (probably having to opt for a B4 adapter and B4 lenses, both rather expensive). And even if you get that all going somehow, good luck making them work together nicely (as in, i.E. being able to store and load a Pan/Tilt/Zoom/Focus preset somehow). Long story short, you are probably much cheaper off by just getting more high end Sony or Panasonic PTZs. If you don't need 4K, the Sony BRC-H800 is probably the best bang for the buck.

Cheers,

Daniel

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Hello All. There are Panasonic PTZ cameras that support VISCA and if so, should work with the ATEM.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 3:57 am

As an owner of Panasonic AW-HE130, and HE40 cameras (both support VISCA says Panasonic), i can say that the ATEM VISCA control does not work with either of these cameras.

Even if they did, the less than ideal VISCA command set available from the ATEM would be a non starter for me anyway. No shading or focusing would be available. I don't understand how ANYONE could think that would be acceptable.

Also, I can't see how having to toggle your joystick/menus between pointing cameras, and running the rest of the switcher would actually work during a typical show. Not to mention I think it's a far better solution to have one person running cameras, and a separate person run the switcher.

One man's opinion... :mrgreen:
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 9:57 am

While it could be handy for talk shows and webtalks.. Were only some minor adjustment is needed.. But when you really need to adjust cameras from time to time.. You have no time for that if you are really doing a live switching..

And with live performers that will result in always being late..

I did 8 years of live shows as a 1 man crew. Having a Sony RM-BR300 Visca remote and an atem switcher.. Running 4 dome cameras. The trick here was that i made an interface between the Sony remote tally output and the mixer. So everytime i selected a dome camera for control. This camera was auto switched to my PRV bus. I could setup the camera shot and hit cut on the atem.

After a show of 5 hours i was completly exausted.. These jobs were 4 night in a row.. And the quality of operating went down after 2 night.. Stopped working for that client because they insist there was no room for a second operator... :roll:
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

TWelch

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 4:56 pm

I have a BMD ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K, ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel, and Sony BRC-H800 PTZ cameras. I cannot get them hooked up for control, I've got the pinouts for all devices, the panel is connected to the switcher but RS-422 (visca) is not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Andrew Martin

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Baz leftler posted only yesterday on a control interface he was making available to run with ptz heads and the micro studio cameras.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 8:24 pm

TWelch wrote:I have a BMD ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K, ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel, and Sony BRC-H800 PTZ cameras. I cannot get them hooked up for control, I've got the pinouts for all devices, the panel is connected to the switcher but RS-422 (visca) is not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check this topic>> ;)
Atem Visca camera control

Baz

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Shortly I will have available a PTZ controller for ATEM. Just waiting on what will be available at NAB 2019.

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Return to Live Production