RED Hydrogen One

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Andrew Kolakowski

RED Hydrogen One

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:58 pm

My prediction seems to be correct:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/19064 ... drogen-one

+ other websites with same 1st impressions. RED blew so much money on this.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tristan Pemberton

Re: RED ONE

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 3:51 am

I really was hoping good things for Hydrogen One. But the truth is, I was expecting it to be a disappointing gimmick. From the looks of things, it's failed to live up to the hype around the 3D capabilities.

For RED camera users, this may be a really useful tool in the RED ecosystem. For the rest of us... meeeh.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

rick.lang

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 3:51 am

Andrew, can you change the thread title to RED Hydrogen One? RED One was their first cinema camera, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Vess Stoytchev

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 7:16 am

rick.lang wrote:Andrew, can you change the thread title to RED Hydrogen One? RED One was their first cinema camera, no?

I was wondering why that camera has it's own post in 2018 on BM forums and got intrigued.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 10:11 pm

rick.lang wrote:Andrew, can you change the thread title to RED Hydrogen One? RED One was their first cinema camera, no?

Done

rick.lang

Re: RED Hydrogen One

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Thank you, Andrew.

Rick Lang

Jack Fairley

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 am

As expected. Hopefully I can stop hearing about this now, unless they find a way to make it actually useful with a RED rig.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:08 pm

Having been using a Hydrogen One for the past week, and showing it to several people, the response has been VERY different. The standard 2D image quality is good straight out of the camera, the hologram view gets most people who see it giddy with excitement (there is a caveat -- it's pretty disorienting if you view it from outside the optimal viewing angle, which in hologram mode is pretty narrow), and more professional oriented features are coming soon to Red's camera app.

And... a LOT of people who have Hydrogen Ones aren't Red camera owners. Not everyone is happy with them, but most are.

And most of the reviews so far are based on early alpha and beta firmware, focus on the specs (Snapdragon 835 instead of 845) rather than on actual usage (the primary improvement in the 845 was in power efficiency and graphics, but Unreal based games look great and are buttery smooth on it)...

One bozo actually though it was going to be a holograph projector like in Star Wars... even though it was obvious to everyone who was paying attention that was not the case... Seriously, that's like criticizing the Pocket 4K for not being an 8K camera, the complaining that it "only" has 13 stops of dynamic range but not bothering to shoot anything with it, yet criticizing the image quality.

And this is what passes for reviewers these days?

That said, the H4V stuff, as cool as it is, isn't all that useful right now, because it requires a Leia-equipped device to view it, and there's only one of those available... and it's expensive and rare, and doesn't photograph all that well, since the 3D effect requires stereo vision to work.

I don't know whether or not it works with VR goggles. If so, it would at least expand the potential viewership to include people with VR googles. If not, it's chicken and egg time...
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 6:07 pm

One of the Hydrogen team members mentioned that Facebook support is in the works. It might be what you just described, but since I was busy moving over the weekend, I didn't keep up with the forums. :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 am

Loos like my prediction was even more correct:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/099825097 ... om-website

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:16 pm

Nope... they're shifting the modules to the pro camera group, so Jarred Land is taking that part over.

Red didn't do a great job of getting the word out about it, with the usual result that a lot of people simply assumed the worst and the clickbait journals just ran with the assumption rather than finding out what was going on.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 am

Let's wait longer then- I still assume that Hydrogen is going to be massive fail for RED (same as Redray was).

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 am

Something worth replying in off topic.

Unlike usual, I have a LOT of negative things to say, but I'm not going say much. They simply didn't listen and it simply wasn't a winning (delayed) product. The fact that this wonder 3D display that is supposed to be unlike other phone 3D displays (there is another 3D phone on gsmarena ROK.it or something, believe it or not) is not good outside of optimal viewing angle, makes it how much better? Plus this was supposed to have multiple different viewing zones (are they still there?). Unlike other people, I can accept it makes a good smart phone picture, but the whole setup needed to be better at the price. A few points.

I was hoping they would make a great success, now I care less, especially if they want fat modules. "Oh, Hi Tony, just wait, I have to unclip the phone from the module stack, its a bit big...No, no, we younger people aren't wimps...OK, yes you used to carry around a Motorola brick phone when you were young...".
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 10:21 am

From bad to crap:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/210724272 ... e-troubles

Philosophy by RED:
"We designed, we specced, we chosen manufacturer- but it's all their fault" :D

Never actually seen it before, but I lost any respect to RED:

And they still keep repeating that they spent millions of $ on storage R&D, custom firmware etc. Joke :D
Same story as claiming that their format is not Jpeg2000, but something unique out of this world.
Marketing 480 drive as 512 is just one step too far (at least for me and regardless if in reality this difference doesn't mean much).

Wayne Steven

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:18 am

I think they have cineform raw license. Maybe, they did spend millions on storage R&D, but now buy the parts found here.

Maybe there is something wrong with people to go along with a lot of things.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Return to Off-Topic