Davinci Mini Panel **Suggestion Box**

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steve oakley

Re: Davinci Mini Panel **Suggestion Box**

PostMon May 15, 2017 5:17 am

having spent a couple hours with the mini I jus bought -

Screens - power off, ability to set at least one to TGA / JPG / TIFF to display your name, co, whatever, change blue BG to gray, ability to dim screens, sleep mode

Rings / Wheels. the wheels feel VERY heavy. this is coming from Avid Artist Color that I really like the wheels on. Wish there would be option for rings to be replaced with ALT SET that have outer concave surface or flat top with slight outward angle, about 1/2 the height and weight.

Alt wheel / ball mode : Control mode ! Mouse track ball mode on right most wheel, while left most wheel worked as Jog / Shuttle control.

Set User Mode on screens to Memories mode to set / apply at least the first 8 mems. only artist color did this and I miss it already.

ability to change the default rotary controls. never use Hue or Lum Mix so thats 2 very wasted controls for me. Would totally want to set them to Temp and Highlight SoftClip that I do use, especially Highlight SoftClip. In fact I plan to set user screen to those 2 controls as soon as its possible to set up those screens.

I see other folks wish those knobs where set to other things too. So rather than get stuck in what came from the factory which wasn't a all bad picks, accept that different users will use different controls more than others. So just let us map the knobs to the controls we want. I can afford some Gold on Black label maker tape ;) I guess in V2 these get OLED labels :)

Case : As has been noted, powder coat the bottom / sides black because reflections are bad on screens. Guess us early adopters will have the special silver edition.

Add 100mm VESA holes onto bottom of unit. When doing DIT thing unit can then be mounted on regular LCD arm by turning the mount flat. ANYTHING that gets the panel up out of harms way of coffee and water is a VERY VERY good thing!
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

steve oakley

PostMon May 15, 2017 5:17 pm

mattfezz wrote:
2) As mentioned before - screens are too bight for me by default - a brightness setting would be welcome. It would also be awesome to have an option to have a grey background rather than the blueish.

Go to Settings / Panels and adjust LCD brightness, second slider from bottom. Set it in the range of 4-7 is about right depending on environment.

S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Brandon Kraemer

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 pm

I think a huge miss is not backlighting the labels on the row of knobs just above the trackballs. YLift -> Lum Mix... no way I can read what those are.

A/C sort mode is very nice to have.

Not being able to wipe a still... crazy.

Mardy Dep

PostThu May 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Peter and team, what is the status of all these suggestions? I feel the lack of the using the rings as jog wheel in the edit window is a big oversight and should be an easy add.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 3:33 am

Everyone is working on v15 beta so panel update ideas are not on the short list till we GM v15
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 3:51 am

Kelly Reese wrote:
Paul Provost wrote:...whenever I used Log mode on the Advanced panels, I ALWAYS would forget which mode I was in. Very annoying.

All of the Advanced Panel soft keys change in Log mode, so the moment you see the wrong menus, you just hit MAIN and go back to LGG. It's much more obvious than it is on the Mini Panel (at least to me).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mardy Dep

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Everyone is working on v15 beta so panel update ideas are not on the short list till we GM v15

Peter, I do understand, but this thread was created over a year ago. These suggestions are about 12-13 months old. The most requested feature, which is to have one of the rings act as a jog wheel, has been requested since the launch of the product back in early 2017. I am not asking for every single feature, but there have been 0 since launch and with resolve more and more being pushed as an all around NLE, having a simple mapping of the left and right arrow to a ring to act as a job during edits, seems like something that should not take over a year to implement. Again, I understand you guys are busy, but it’s been over a year.

Marcus Lindstrom

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 6:58 pm

My Mini Panel arrived today and I'm more that happy with it. I was concerned about the extra space in front of the track balls/wheels (compared to Avid Artist Color/Tangent) but since this panel is higher it makes perfectly sense to have the bottom of my palms rested on it while working. Without that my wrists would definitely hurt, thanks BM! :)

Now for some suggestions..

- Outside serial node?
That is probably my most used one after serial and parallel. Would love to create it by just holding down the serial key on the panel.

- Reset current tab/palette section.
Sure I can reset the node but if have qualified an area and I'm working on my primaries and want to start over, it should be a reset button for that without deleting my qualifier. Maybe on one of the soft buttons over the LCD, it seems to be at least one free on every palette section?

- The soft keys that brightens up when in use should be even MORE brighter than the rest. Right now it is sometimes hard to see if, for example, the offset is on or not.. I don't like having to take an extra look just to be sure.

- The control knobs should, as all other buttons do, take me to the correct palette. Turning the Pivot should take me to the primaries.

- User selectable buttons. Imagine having the Printer Lights on the "Quick selected buttons" on the right. 8-)

- Button to manually turn off LCD and key lights. Use one of the LCD soft keys next to "network" and "about"?

- Holding down the "Play Still" button should "Apply Grade".

- Holding down the Disable button should Delete Current Node.

- Holding down the Highlight button should show Highlight B&W

(- Pushing the Offset button (over my track balls) doesn't take me to the offset section on the LCD, is it a bug? Since the Log button does just that.)

Thank you! :)
Mac Pro (late 2013)
Sony Trimaster EL PVM 250
DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel
BM Ultrastudio Express
Pegasus R6

Patrick Taylor

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Mardy Dep wrote:Peter and team, what is the status of all these suggestions? I feel the lack of the using the rings as jog wheel in the edit window is a big oversight and should be an easy add.

This would be my number 1 suggestion.

Patrick Taylor

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Mardy Dep wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Everyone is working on v15 beta so panel update ideas are not on the short list till we GM v15

Peter, I do understand, but this thread was created over a year ago. These suggestions are about 12-13 months old. The most requested feature, which is to have one of the rings act as a jog wheel, has been requested since the launch of the product back in early 2017. I am not asking for every single feature, but there have been 0 since launch and with resolve more and more being pushed as an all around NLE, having a simple mapping of the left and right arrow to a ring to act as a job during edits, seems like something that should not take over a year to implement. Again, I understand you guys are busy, but it’s been over a year.

So, now that V15 is officially released, will the Mini panel finally get some love?
Say, Jog and Shuttle control?
Perty please?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 am

I found redundant having temperature and tint in the ring/ ball when in offset mode.

My preference will be:
Offset off, behave as usual: lift-gamma- gain
Offset on/ non log: lift- offset -gain
Offset on/ log on: shadow log - offset - highlights log
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dinindu Jagoda

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 4:30 am

Suggestions for the 12 dedicated primary control knobs.

1. Add the current numerical value (for the selected node) of each knob to the two screens, let's say 6 separate values on left screen and the rest of the 6 on the right screen and it should appear in every page you select.

2. I believe these are touch sensitive encoders right? If so, when you touch any of them, the colour of the numerical value should change to reflect the one being touched. Let's say from current Cyan colour to Red or Magenta and then fall back to cyan colour when you release the touch. Also when you touch and encoder, it should jump between 1 & 2 section in the GUI to reflect the control being selected.

This will help immensely as most of the time you have to touch other knobs before you find the correct one when grading in the dark and even the slightest touch changes the value of the controls that you don't really want to change and no way of knowing if you have made a change unless you look at the GUI. Even then if you have selected the midtone detail and colour boost section (section 2), you don't really know if you have made changes to contrast or any other control (in section 1). Also you have to keep switching between 1 & 2 in that section in order to see the values change which is annoying.

Since you're not really remapping buttons or changing the functionality, I would imagine this is not a hard implementation. I'm really dying to see this change as the control knobs are becoming worthless at times as you have to switch between 1 & 2 with the mouse and then it's far easier to do the change with the mouse anyway as you can see what you're doing rather than guessing the knob being touched.

Thanks.

Din

dariobigi

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Rings Controls Image Wipe in Reference Sizing Mode

My request would be when choosing Sizing then Reference,
Left ring controls Pan
Center ring controls Tilt
Right ring controls the Wipe itself.

Currently when going into Sizing mode it deselects the Image Wipe tool. That maybe makes sense for the other sizing options but not when in reference mode.

The reason I want to use the rings for the Pan and Tilt is because the knobs are set to make very small incremental adjustments. In Edit/Input/Output/Node modes, that is fine. In Reference mode, the action is usually to Pan a great deal to move the image to a good cross reference position. Using the knob takes a inordinate amount of turns. The only option is to use the visual interface and drag on the slider or counter to move the image quickly/far. That breaks the flow of our eyes and hands with the panel.

Additionally, the ring's math should be multiplied for larger movements to move the image across the screen in the span of one or two rotations.
Just having the Right Ring mapped to control the Image Wipe would be nice either way when in Reference Mode.
Choosing Reference currently deselects Image Wipe and you have to select it again before being able to wipe with the mouse. (That's a drag literally and figuratively.)

If any Mini Panel Owners like the Idea, please "+1" to get this in the next Firmware update.
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Pepijn Klijs

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 9:11 pm

My suggestion would be to include more reset buttons. There’s a node reset but many times I just want to reset the tool i’m working in. For example the curves, the primary controls, the qualifier etc. There’s still plenty of display real estate in all these tools to make a reset button.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Pepijn Klijs wrote:My suggestion would be to include more reset buttons. There’s a node reset but many times I just want to reset the tool i’m working in. For example the curves, the primary controls, the qualifier etc. There’s still plenty of display real estate in all these tools to make a reset button.

I think that's a good suggestion for all the control panels, particularly the Advanced panels.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 11:55 pm

all of this below

jump to the 3.45 mark, and then eveeeeeeeery little function mentioned in the next four min, includeing custom mapping that starts at the 7min mark;

and this clip is now six years old.... really look at what the Autodorks did with Color years and years ago and sigh.. this could have been Mini in Resolve, coulda woulda shoulda....

mattwilliams2321

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Is there any hint of when some of these suggestions might be implemented in a firmware update for the Mini Panel? So many great ideas, I just don't understand why it's taking so long to bring any of them to fruition? It would be great to hear something about when an update might be coming.

Mark Sterne

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 9:32 pm

dariobigi wrote:Rings Controls Image Wipe in Reference Sizing Mode

If any Mini Panel Owners like the Idea, please "+1" to get this in the next Firmware update.

+1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juan Salvo

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:12 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I found redundant having temperature and tint in the ring/ ball when in offset mode.

My preference will be:

Just want to chime in that I couldn't disagree more. Color temp/tint on wheels is absolutely vital for me.

Pepijn Klijs

Davinci Mini Panel **Suggestion Box**

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:58 pm

Juan Salvo wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:I found redundant having temperature and tint in the ring/ ball when in offset mode.

My preference will be:

Just want to chime in that I couldn't disagree more. Color temp/tint on wheels is absolutely vital for me.
Juan beat me to it. I love ‘m as well. Practically use them on every shot.

dariobigi

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 am

Curves
Custom

Extra two knobs (unused under the right screen) to control the X and Y axis of the active point.
A slight touch on a default point knob (( 0% 20% 40% etc.)) should activate nearest point, not create a new one.

Optionally/Alternatively
Left unused knob could cycle through the created points
(showing closest control % highlighted/activated in the MP window to enable Y control).
Other knob allow for X changes - Example, the default 20% can be adjusted to 30% on the graph. (Maybe even updating the number on the panel screen but not fully necessary.)

I don't use more than the default points regularly but I also don't wish to box in those that do custom points, hence the optional cycle knob selector.

Curves
Hue vs Hue & Hue vs Sat

Input Hue knob - Press in to Reset - defaults to the starting Hue point of the active point--

Example -tap Yellow - Input hue is 316.000 - move it with Input Hue - press for Reset - goes to 263.220 , not centered on Yellow. It's a currently useless reset option.

Example -Turn/Increase Yellow knob - adjust Input Hue - press Reset on Yellow - Hue Rotate defaults to 0.00 (fine... but what can reset it to it's 316.00 starting point?)

All of that up for discussion or better suggestions from the user community.
Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 6:23 am

Juan Salvo wrote:

My preference will be:

Put on a knob then: you're wasting the best controls tool in the surface for a simple knob turn...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

dariobigi

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 7:26 am

Pepijn Klijs wrote:My suggestion would be to include more reset buttons. There’s a node reset but many times I just want to reset the tool i’m working in.

+1

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

bruce alan greene

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 pm

My preference will be:

I disagree. Offset off is already LGG. Lift and gain together are offset if necessary. In Offset on mode, there are already knobs for LGG that are active at the same time. I find the Temp/Tint controls very useful in the mode in which they are currently mapped.

Seth Goldin

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Right now, I still require a keyboard next to the Mini Panel because it's missing several functions:
  • Add static keyframe [Ctrl + ] on the keyboard]
  • Add dynamic keyframe [Ctrl + [ on the keyboard]
  • Apply grade from previous shot [= on keyboard]
  • Apply grade from shot before previous shot [- on keyboard]
Not quite sure how these buttons might be implemented in the top buttons with firmware, or if this would just be in the next revision of hardware of the Mini Panel, or BMD could ship key caps, etc.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Dermot Shane

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 am

bruce alan greene wrote:

My preference will be:

I disagree. Offset off is already LGG. Lift and gain together are offset if necessary. In Offset on mode, there are already knobs for LGG that are active at the same time. I find the Temp/Tint controls very useful in the mode in which they are currently mapped.

i prefer my Baselight's mapping of;
pg1 - Exposure / Contrast / Saturation (pivot on a knob)
pg2 - Exposure / Contrast / Pivot (saturation on a knob)
pg3 - log shadow / mid / highlights
pg4 - Lift / Gamma / Gain
all channels on by default, and selectable in any combnation with softkeys

if anyone wants "tint" and "temp" mapped, then by all means make them mappable so one could have mapped to any ring, any one of;
exposure
contrast
saturation
pivot
log shadow
log mid
log highlights
lift
gamma
gain
tint
temp
red / green / blue / lift /gamma / gain

and the offset balls if the maths involved support useing that for a given function (ie; tint/temp are not useing offsets, saturation does not use offsets in Resolve even tho it does in Baselight)
toggeling color channels one and off as needed is massivly helpful, fast and provides an elegant answer to daily needs

watch the autodesk video.. in Smoke it takes selecting a function in the software and touching the ring/ball/knob/softkey on the surface to map anything to anything instantly...

now that's elegant

Marc Wielage

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 2:55 am

Seth Goldin wrote:Right now, I still require a keyboard next to the Mini Panel because it's missing several functions:
Not quite sure how these buttons might be implemented in the top buttons with firmware, or if this would just be in the next revision of hardware of the Mini Panel, or BMD could ship key caps, etc.

I have a list of XKeys macros that I used with the Mini Panel, plus diagrams and associated Cmate files (for Mac OSX) at this link:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/9wJMw

I used all four of the macros you describe, as well as quite a few others (like Split Clip) that you can't do on the Mini Panel or Tangent Elements panel.

There have been quite a few discussions on the use of XKeys and Elgato Streamdeck macro panels with various color-correction panels over on LiftGammaGain.com.

Seth Goldin

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Not sure how this might be implemented, but it would be great if the panel had a kind of memory for what mode the wheels are in.

Let's say I have three nodes: 1 has only primary wheels corrections, 2 has only log wheels corrections, and 3 has only offset, temperature, and tint corrections.

If I traverse the node tree, the panel's wheel mode just stays in whatever mode it is already in. But it would be great if it could somehow flip to the correct mode for the correction that's on the node, perhaps assigning the node as a certain kind?

I don't know how you'd handle conflicts, though. It's useful for me, because I never really have these different kinds of corrections on the same node.

dariobigi

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Seth Goldin wrote:Right now, I still require a keyboard next to the Mini Panel because it's missing several functions:

I used all four of the macros you describe, as well as quite a few others (like Split Clip) that you can't do on the Mini Panel or Tangent Elements panel.

Cmd or Ctl with \ is split clip. (Forward Slash)
I use it when prepping a timeline and the EDL/XML does not include the proper cup points after scene cut detection is done. That’s an edit page function. To me that’s an edit page function and the mini panel is for a color correction. As a former editor, the keyboard has all the mapping needed for editorial purposes and shouldn’t be on the color control panel.
My 2¢

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Juan Salvo

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 7:22 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Juan Salvo wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:
Put on a knob then: you're wasting the best controls tool in the surface for a simple knob turn...

No, I'm using the best control tool for a very precise and finely controlled manipulation.

Seth Goldin

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 6:30 pm

I’d love to get some knobs for LR and HR for when my wheels are in LOG mode.

...or does this exist somewhere and I’m not seeing it?

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 am

dariobigi wrote:Cmd or Ctl with \ is split clip. (Forward Slash)

Yes, I know. I've been doing it for almost 10 years (and with other kinds of color correctors for 30 years before that). But this mode is not on the panel, which is the point of this entire thread.

I'm merely saying I have one button that splits the clip, and it's infinitely faster than reaching way over to the right, finding the command key and the \ key on the QWERTY keyboard, and hitting those.

On the Advanced Panels, it's Shift-Up Split (in 2 locations), and I can live with that there. But I use it an awful lot for single-clip projects.

dariobigi

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 8:39 am

Seth Goldin wrote:I’d love to get some knobs for LR and HR for when my wheels are in LOG mode.

Page right to see the Highlights in the Mini Panel Window. Low Range & High range are on the knobs.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

dariobigi

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 9:08 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
dariobigi wrote:Cmd or Ctl with \ is split clip. (Forward Slash)

I'm merely saying I have one button that splits the clip, and it's infinitely faster than reaching way over to the right, finding the command key and the \ key on the QWERTY keyboard, and hitting those.

Why is your keyboard so far away?
Yes, one button is always better than two keystrokes...
With the mini panel, I have my keyboard below it (kinda like Patrick Inhofer’s setup). For everything I don’t have mapped to my x-keys 24. I don’t split clips that often in my workflows. Yes, with the occasional follow through when checking/comparing scene cut detection with the EDL but not prominently. (I never use the viewer button btw. To me that’s a waste of a button but... we all have our preferences. With that...

I want BMD to make the equivalent of a Baselight Slate (for affordability) or Blackboard (to replace the advanced panel). At least the could offer a companion panel to the mini which is customizable. I think a supplementary panel with options fits into BMDs design style, when you look at their remote camera controllers and switchers.

Marc could get his button.
Maybe we all could.
After that, I wish for world peace.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Seth Goldin

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 7:49 pm

dariobigi wrote:
Seth Goldin wrote:I’d love to get some knobs for LR and HR for when my wheels are in LOG mode.

Page right to see the Highlights in the Mini Panel Window. Low Range & High range are on the knobs.

Brilliant! Thank you!

Michael Tiemann

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 1:18 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:the transports should act like [j][k][l], a double tap should do 2x and so on

^ THIS ^

And by double-tap, I mean just like J and L where, if the clip is playing, a second tap makes it 2x faster. I don't want the ergonomics of having to quickly double-tap to boost from regular to sped-up play.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Joe Cool

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 2:41 pm

Hi, I started using DaVinci Resolve a few weeks ago and could get a Mini Panel now.
I am still at the beginning of learning but soon I missed a way to add an Outside Node with the keys on the panel. (Pressing the SERIAL button longer is a good suggestion.)
Of course "alt-O" on the keyboard does this but it would be helpful to have this function on the Mini Panel too.
I just updated the panel to firmware version 2. Are there informations available what has changed to prior versions?
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve