New computer build: nvidia or AMD?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kaitlyn McLachlan

New computer build: nvidia or AMD?

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 4:53 pm

About to build a new computer for photo (lightroom + photoshop) and video (resolve, of course!) and wondering mainly about the GPU - does it matter if I pick nvidia or amd? I have a BIT more experience with nvidia, and I know a bit about using the CUDA cores, but does AMD have some equivalent thing? Basically, since I'm buying a brand new GPU and its main usage is photo+video (zero gaming), which should I be choosing?

I guess along the same lines - is there really any difference in optimizations between intel or amd CPU?

Eugenia Loli

Re: New computer build: nvidia or AMD?

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 4:58 pm

I'd go with nvidia. I find the AMD drivers buggy personally.
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Kaitlyn McLachlan wrote: but does AMD have some equivalent thing?

Hi.

Yes it is called OpenCL.

But you don't tell us what resolution you want to work with. UHD/4K have 4 times more pixels than Full HD and will require both more vRam and CUDA cores.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

I have made a small guide for a recommended build. Here is a copy of it to you:

'Carsten's hardware guide for DaVinchi Resolve. Version from 5. November 2018.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

nVidea have just introduced the new nVidea RTX 2080/Ti and RTX 2070 Graphics Cards series with higher CUDA performance. For 4K choose one with 8-11 GB of vRAM. And more CUDA cores is better.
The Previus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB can be a good way to get one with 11GB of vRam, as more vRam is better.

There is a maximum of one graphics card in the free version of Resolve. If you want to use Noise Reduction etc. then you probably will need 2 GPUs with 11 GB vRam each and the paid Studio version of Resolve.

In the DaVinci Resolve 15 configuration guide is one of the suggestion on page 18 the AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... _Guide.pdf

All AMD CPU's loves fast memory, and on page 36 under GIGABYTE Motherboard:

16GB (4x4GB RAM) DDR4-3200 SDRAM minimum
64GB or 128GB or more recommend for FUSION

Back in August AMD launched the Threadripper next generation TR 29xx CPU's with a little lower price. For 4K work look at the new 16 cores 32 threads 2950X that get much better reviews than expected.

When I try to check prices don't I yet see any big price drops on the previous 16 core 32 threads Threadripper 1950X CPU's. So far for 16 core 32 threads CPU will I recommend the new 2950X.
While I currently see some large price drops on the 12 core 24 threads 1920X CPU's. It will be good as a entry level CPU for Resolve.

Both the old and new Threadrippers CPU use a TR4 socket and a X399 motherboards. Suggest you to buy one with nice reviews. If you later want to upgrade to a faster CPU will I suggest you to
buy a Asus motherboard, as they can be upgraded to a TDP of 250 Watt by buying the X399 cooling enhancement kit coming later.
Make sure you inspect the Motherboards TR4 socket carefully for bent pins, before your insert the CPU into it. And for CPU's with more than 20 cores will I look for a motherboard with a 16+3 VRM circuit.

Look here for a Free NVMe RAID upgrade for AMD X399 chipset:

https://community.amd.com/community/gam ... 99-chipset

All motherboard have a QVL List you can find on the manufactures homepage. Here you can see what DDR4-Ram they have tested in that particular motherboard. The Configuration Guide recommend to use minimum DDR4-3200.

The cheapest recommended RAM is many times the G.Skill Flare X DDR4. The Flare X series is made special for AMD CPU's

The Threadripper CPU's have a 4 channel memory design. You will get the fastest system by using 4 DIMM's only, and leave the last 4 sockets empty.

Do you still have some questens you are free to ask.'

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

MishaEngel

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Kaitlyn McLachlan wrote:About to build a new computer for photo (lightroom + photoshop) and video (resolve, of course!) and wondering mainly about the GPU - does it matter if I pick nvidia or amd? I have a BIT more experience with nvidia, and I know a bit about using the CUDA cores, but does AMD have some equivalent thing? Basically, since I'm buying a brand new GPU and its main usage is photo+video (zero gaming), which should I be choosing?

I guess along the same lines - is there really any difference in optimizations between intel or amd CPU?

With photos speed is less of an issue, any modern day cpu and gpu are pretty fast.

With video it's a different story. Depending on your source material (resolution, codec, bitdepth, etc..) and your output material(resolution, codec, bitdepth, etc..) you can make a choice.

Price performance is on the hand of AMD (both cpu and gpu).

So it comes down to the speed you want and the budget you have.

Kaitlyn McLachlan

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:41 pm

A lot of my footage is 4K, some in h265. Output is 1080p. Before I sold my old PC, I was often generating optimized media for all my content. I'm mostly creating vlogs so it's not (currently) high-end color grading or editing work being done

AlexLTDLX

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I did a comparison video between the two last year:

HTH.

MishaEngel

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Kaitlyn McLachlan wrote:A lot of my footage is 4K, some in h265. Output is 1080p. Before I sold my old PC, I was often generating optimized media for all my content. I'm mostly creating vlogs so it's not (currently) high-end color grading or editing work being done

Ryzen 7 2700 is already good enough for that.
Get a GTX1080ti, RTX2080 or VEGA64 as GPU.

AlanKafton

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Kaitlyn McLachlan wrote: but does AMD have some equivalent thing?

I have made a small guide for a recommended build. Here is a copy of it to you:

'Carsten's hardware guide for DaVinchi Resolve. Version from 5. November 2018.

Regards Carsten.

Hi Carsten,

I've seen you post this several times before, but i see no link to your recommended-build guide. I'll love to get a copy! So you send this privately, or should there be a link?

Thanks so much,

--Alan

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi.

It is in my post. It starts with

'Carsten's hardware guide for DaVinchi Resolve. Version from 5. November 2018.'

and go to the end of my posting.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

AlanKafton

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 4:52 am

Hi Carsten,

This is weird, but I can’t see any links to click on. Could this be a permissions thing (I’m logged in) or am I just looking at the wrong place entirely?

Thanks, Alan

Return to DaVinci Resolve