Atem 4 and 2ME scaler/teranex

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rallymatt

Atem 4 and 2ME scaler/teranex

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Hello,

Currently using a Television Studio Pro 4k we purchased in July of 2018. Works great. But I need more inputs now. Bought a second one and did a switcher into switcher setup for one event... that was an adventure.

Looking at a 4 M/E but as far as I can tell, the 4 M/E does not have the same scalers on each input, that the TVSP 4k does? I.E I wouldn't be able to plug in 1080p 2997 sources, and other resolutions when the switcher is set to 2160p/29.97 for example. At least without putting a teranex box on each input that requires it.

Is that correct? Seems silly that the flagship switcher does not contain that ability, especially since it was only released a month or two ahead of the TVS4k.

The 2ME and 4ME descriptions do say they have frame synchronizers, but no mention of scalers.

Jack Fairley

Re: Atem 4 and 2ME scaler/teranex

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Correct, there are no scalers on the 4ME. It's not actually new hardware, it launched at NAB 2015. There was a big firmware update recently that added 4ME capability and the advanced chroma keyer.

In general, I think going for an all-in-one situation is risky, since it makes it harder to scale. For a basement podcast, the TVS 4K is an amazing offering, but if you're going to run out of inputs, as you have seen, it gets hairy.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Indeed the TVSP4K is the only switcher currently having this option. It might or not become in more switchers in the future. Who knows.. But at this point or you stay with the TVSP4K or you go with the 4ME and a lot of scalers, Or you match all your sources to the same resolution and framerate as everybody does..

But to be honest.. When talking 4K that is a lot harder then in HD.. Because there are good UpDownCross converters for HD. But for 4K there is not so much out there at the moment...

The teranex can do 4K upscaling but delay is about 3 / 4 frames.. Much more then the delay in the TVSP4K. ;)

Also consider that some sources you could run a Teranex mini for HDMI to SDI conversion. And do the upscaling to UHD there..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rallymatt

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Thanks guys.

Matching resolution on some inputs just isn't an option, so that's kind of lame.

Currently for instance we are set to a 4k UHD workflow. All our hardwired cams (URSA, Studio cams, etc..) are 4k UHD, but lots of the bonus stuff isnt.

The ATEM cam converters only do 1080p, but the switcher handles that for us with the up-scaling. Works great. Lots of our wireless transmitters are only 1080p as well. Drone stuff is usually 1080p down to the ground whether we use our Connex or from DJI products - and sometimes it auto senses at 1080p60 or 30. At least we can see the image and change as necessary. Just getting black into the switcher from those devices is immeasurably frustrating.

Hopefully BM makes a product update at some point. Love the hardware, but 8 inputs on our TVS is not enough with 2 for graphics and 12 cameras. A switcher into a switcher is mind-melting.

I know one standard is the correct way, but I certainly prefer the mixed-standard way when it's plug and play.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 10:05 am

Welcome to the 4K world :lol: :lol:

I have 4K OBV based on a 4ME Atem. I know your problems. I ran into them every job.. Just spend a whole lot of money on converters to get the job done.. But i do preffer to get the gear all up to 4K. Even the wireless links is just rental now.. Damn expensive rentals..

If the clients demands 4K..
He gets 4K.
And he Pays 4K!!! ;)

For all other clients that say HD is enough we don't stress and just run progressive HD. 8-)

Ask yourself does it needs to be 4K?? Is it worth 4K?? Then let them pay 4K!! And rent some 4K gear to get all 4K.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production