Hyperdeck Studio Mini intermittently Stopping Recording

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jaytortorelli

Hyperdeck Studio Mini intermittently Stopping Recording

PostTue May 29, 2018 8:24 pm

We have been using our Hyperdeck Studio Mini for a little over a month. It has been working just fine until this last weekend.
We experienced the recording stopping randomly throughout service. Sometimes we would have to manually start the recording again, and sometimes the recording would start again automatically. The files are all different sizes, some or only 16 seconds of recording, and some are 20-30 minutes. Some of the files pickup right where the last one left off, and some pickup an unknown amount of time later.
This is a new problem for us. We are running the latest Hyperdeck software (5.3). The only problems we have experienced in the past is when using a static IP address, the Hyperdeck would would randomly disappear/re-appear from our Atem control software (this would not affect the recording, just our ability to remotely start/stop the recording).

Here is the relevant information:
Format: 720p59.94
IP; DHCP Assigned IP
Code: DNxHR HQX
SD Cards: Sony 128gb UHS-II 300mb/s
No Events To Trigger The Recording
Video In: SDI
No Video Out, Ref In, Or RS-422 Control Hooked Up
AC Power From A UPS

jaytortorelli

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini intermittently Stopping Recording

PostThu May 31, 2018 7:52 am

Just an update to our Hyperdeck situation. We recorded service tonight without issue. We unplugged the network cable from the Hyperdeck prior to service to try to a eliminate a couple of possible issues. I think we'll run like this for awhile and see if the problem happens again.
Possibly after the next update we'll plug it back in. We are just grasping at straws, unless there is a log file created on the Hyperdeck that might shed some light on our problem???

jaytortorelli

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 12:26 am

Things have been great with our Hyperdeck for the past few weeks, up until today. We started the recording and kept an eye on things and they looked good. Recording light was on, timecode was running so we thought it was working. When we looked at the file the recording had apparently stopped after 34 minutes so we lost over an hour of content.

At this point I think we have lost faith in this Hyperdeck and are going to look into different solutions, either replacing the hyperdeck completely and bringing in two new recording solutions, or adding an additional recorder as a backup.

Evan Vickers

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Question:
Are you copying the video files off of the drive and then deleting them, or are you moving the files off the drive?

Reason I ask is because there are known issues with any media recorder if you copy and then delete. It may seem fine but eventually you will start hitting issues with file corruption and stalls.

Couple things to try:
Move the files off the media.
Format the SD cards in the deck often.

Been using our deck for a while now and I've yet to have it randomly stop on me.

jordanmanuel

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 10:47 pm

Has there been a fix for this at all? Just recently updated to firmware 6.0 and recorded in H264. For two hours the Studio Mini seemed fine. Red light was on, video from my program feed was being shown perfectly fine on the unit, but after the event was over I checked the content. Only 30 minutes (7.11GB) had been recorded.

I then imported the recording into Resolve, reviewed the footage, and noticed at the last 5 minutes of recording the video would go black and Resolve would state "Media Offline." For a failure like this, it's completely unacceptable, and it could cost us a job in the future.

The card was a Lexar Professional 128GB 150mb/s SDXCII 1000x and it was successfully formatted by the Hyperdeck before recording.

rogersuski

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 1:21 am

For those of you that are having trouble, how is your HDS Mini hooked up? Are you feeding it reference? Is it powered via POE+ or via the IEC plug? Do you trigger via the front panel, or via the software?

Grega Podrekar

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 2:48 am

We have had similar issues. I solved it with Power conditioner (Samson Powerbrite) and I turned off 2.4 ghz wireless on my router. If there is some interference at approx 3G, the Hyperdeck behaves unpredictable.

Samson Powerbrite
https://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_powerb ... e229e27fe3

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm

we have several HyperDeck Mini's, some on v5.2, some on v 6.0. We have not seen this issue thankfully, and one of the units is rack mounted next to a WiFi router. We always start with a freshly formatted card. We will start/stop recordings until the card is full. Once full (or finished with recordings) we off load the content and format the card before we record on it again.

none of our decks receive a REF signal, I can't see where this would make a difference as REF would only adjust your playback timing. I can see where fluctuating power, or video stability issues would cause recording issues. a bad video cable can ruin your whole day...

The other thing to consider is your recording media. We stick to the approved media list mostly, but have also used Lexar 633x 128gb cards for HD without issue (they are not on the approved list). Also flash memory has a finite life, albeit a long one. I'd try another card to see if the problem persists.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

TemporalKinetics

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 6:00 pm

rogersuski wrote:For those of you that are having trouble, how is your HDS Mini hooked up? Are you feeding it reference? Is it powered via POE+ or via the IEC plug? Do you trigger via the front panel, or via the software?

Direct IEC Power, SDI input only (converted from an HDMI source using Blackmagic bidirectional converter). Record triggered from the front.

The thing is, it looked like it was recording. What I didn't realize is that when it is flashing it is telling you it can't sustain writing, even though the timecode is moving like it is recording.

This is a Sandisk Extreme Plus 150MB/s card that I've used for 5 weeks with no issues, then it did the same thing last week.

Why does it not try to switch to the second card? It seemed to indicate it was set for relay recording, but there is no evidence it even tried.

Will be formatting both cards, then adding another brand's recorder just in case.

Steve Kanefsky

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 8:05 pm

Is it possible heat is the issue? I have very little experience with the Hyperdeck Mini but I do a lot of recording using small action cameras in private plane cockpits and it's almost the norm for those to stop recording after a while due to heat buildup unless they have sufficient cooling (which isn't easy since most small planes don't have AC and you get a lot of direct sunlight and not much airflow in the places you'd want to put an action camera).

It really sucks when I grease a landing or fly by something really cool and then discover that the camera had shut down 20 minutes earlier :)

Return to Live Production