Live event recording to DVD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

RSlaughter

Live event recording to DVD

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Hello,

I am showing a camera feed live during my event and I am needing to record to a DVD that can be distributed as quickly as possible once the event finishes. What would be the best way to go about this?
I am looking for speed and quality.

Thank you!

Thomas Seewald

Re: Live event recording to DVD

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Keep in mind, that DVD is only SD quality.
The best and fastest way to record a DVD without menu structures, is to use a DVD recorder. There were some usefull models e.g. from Panasonic mostly combined with hard disk recording. So you have a master DVD some minutes after finishing the recording. For fast copy, you will need a DVD copy station. How many copys are needed in what time ?
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Ryan Boni

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 am

Agree with Thomas, get a hold of a used Panasonic DVD recorder.

You will have to downconvert the signal from the camera, as the DVD recorders all used composite or S-Video inputs and with RCA audio inputs.

Also, you will need to "finalize" the disc, so that the person can play the disc on a DVD player.

JVC still makes a couple of direct-to-Blu-Ray recorders, including the SR-HD2700US which actually has an HDMI and an SDI input and will record to Blu-Ray in HD. All of the Blu-Ray recorders will also record to a DVD and it will downconvert it for you. Unfortunately, this has become a rather niche product, so the JVC SR-HD2700US recorder sells for over $3200!!
Public Access Director, Peters Twp Comm TV
Freelance TV Broadcast Camera Op (sometimes Dir, TD, EIC, Video)

ATEM M/E 1, 2 & TVS, Studio & Broadcast Cam, Smartscope/view, Cam Conv, Studio Conv, Talkback Conv, Hyperdecks, Videohub 40x40 & MC

RSlaughter

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 pm

We are ok with SD quality for what we are distributing.
When I was doing a direct to DVD recorder before I was getting intermittent quality and random jumps.(DVD only-Live feed was fine) We switched to a newer camera, 4k capable etc... That's when the issues started for us on our recordings.

The DVD recorder was older and I think it was just having a problem with compressing the signal. If I had a newer model would it do a better job of handling the data coming and burning a cleaner copy?

Also to answer another question I have 4 cd/dvd duplicators ready for use post event. Just looking for the best way to make a quality master dvd that can be ready to duplicate as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 5:23 pm

I sold a JVC bleuray recorder for $500 bucks 3 months ago.. In prestine new condition as we never used it :lol: :lol: But the SDI input was great so you could record in HD on Bleuray.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production