Pocket Cinema Camera 4k 2-pin power plug

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cooper

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 2:13 pm

So now that the camera is "available", I got info from support on the 2-pin power connector that is on the camera. The connector seems to be a rarer one, since it is a smaller size 6, at least in Europe according to my web searching abilities. Larger connector sizes 12+ seem to have resellers.

Weipu SF610/s2 (1 pin = +ve(voltage)) female plug, male plug on the camera is most likely the SF612/p2.

I have not found any "free shipping" suppliers, not so keen on courier fees from china on few 3€ plugs +VAT since then the sum would go over the threshold on imports that my country taxes vat on.
Last edited by Cooper on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rustam Babayev

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera 4k 2-pin power plug

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Weipu SF1210/S2 US $16.65 Free Shipping
ebay. com/itm/Original-WEIPU-SF12-2Pin-waterproof-Panel-Mount-Circular-connector-plug-socket/263550301410

It seems the same as a Wooden Camera connector.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

ErikOlson70

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Feels like this is going to be an essential accessory, especially given the reasonable price from BMD.

Robert Niessner wrote:https://www.videodata.de/shop/products/de/Nonlinear-Video/Hardware/I-O-Karten/Blackmagic-Pocket-Camera-DC-Cable-Pack.html

Erik Olson
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2021332/

Robert Niessner

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 7:02 pm

ErikOlson70 wrote:Feels like this is going to be an essential accessory, especially given the reasonable price from BMD.

Yeah, this and the mini-XLR to XLR adapter.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:06 pm

Size 6? Size 12? C’mon BMD start putting these little details in the specs (gads I hope it’s not already detailed in the manual I haven’t read every word there)! All we know for sure is John Brawley told us it was not a standard Lemo 2-pin power connector. I’m ordering both the cables from BMD but still good to know what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Michael Kropfberger

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:52 am

Hi!
can anybody verify the extact power plug? I dont have my pocket4k yet (pre-ordered!), but I want to be prepared...

any links on where to order those plugs? I want to connect it to some LiPo packs with 3S + 4S (14.4V and 16.8V) that I have lying around in masses from my RC hobby. :)

thx
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Michael, the first post in this thread from Cooper has the complete and accurate information.

Rick Lang

Michael Kropfberger

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi Rick,
maybe Weipu SF610/s2 is correct, but I still couldnt find anything online where to order... especially someone who sends to europe, regardless of shipping costs. so are there any URLs / shops, you know of?
the 2 pin version, available for "private" customers, not companies buying 1000 pieces :)

In the worst case, I will cut off the original power supply and add some in-between plug (eg. XT60)
maybe not the best idea for warranty :)

thx
Mike
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

Chris Chiasson

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 pm

I hope someone starts selling smaller cables, because that Wooden one is stupid overpriced. I’d get the BM one but I don’t know how to solder cables.

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Chris, the Wooden Camera cable, is a custom cable made to length from quality materials. I have one of their Mini XLR to regular XLR power cables, very well made. These are not mass produced Asian sweatshop made cables. It takes a good tech about 15min to make up a cable, if a bench is already setup for making them, with all the bits at hand. Figure shop time at $120 hr, plus the cost of the parts, and $60-75 is reasonable. I used to charge this much plus cost of the connectors 10 years ago when I made up custom audio cables. You get what you pay for. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Michael, look at post #45 in this thread. Review the entire thread for other leads, but the connector is hard to come by it seems. Conjecture is BMD bought out their current supply!

BMPCC 4K power conector socket type
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Rick Lang

bradyhall

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 5:26 am

While I love BM cameras, I am driven mad that they make them in shapes that do not work easily with the Movi gimbal. The Ursa Mini Pro is too long and the BMPCC 4k is too wide. So now I am trying to find a right angle 2-pin power cable for this thing and feel like that's gonna be a fat chance. Same with the mini XLR. The camera's balance point put all the ports right in line with the frame rods of the movie and there's like half an inch of clearance. Sigh...

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 5:47 am

Tilta’s half and full cage for BMPCC4K has the right-angle accessories I believe you are wanting. There’s a link to it in the forum.
TILTA BMCC4K Cage
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Rick Lang

bradyhall

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 5:51 am

They have right angle usb and such but no right angle power. However, I suppose I could just get a dummy battery instead of trying to find a right angle 2-pin.

bradyhall wrote:While I love BM cameras, I am driven mad that they make them in shapes that do not work easily with the Movi gimbal. The Ursa Mini Pro is too long and the BMPCC 4k is too wide. So now I am trying to find a right angle 2-pin power cable for this thing and feel like that's gonna be a fat chance. Same with the mini XLR. The camera's balance point put all the ports right in line with the frame rods of the movie and there's like half an inch of clearance. Sigh...

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 6:37 am

Brady, my mistake going from memory. They have two 2-pin cables but neither is L shaped. I thought they had thought of everything, but I was wrong. You know if you contact Tilta they may agree they should include an L-shaped 2-pin connector. I suspect the difficulty is that it’s a locking connector that takes some pushing and pulling to tock and unlock. That action may be problematic for a L-shaped design. Wouldn’t hurt to ask them. The OEM may even agree and make one!

Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

bradyhall

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 6:43 am

Maybe in the future it would be handy, but I need something quick! I will probably go the dummy battery route for now although I just noticed that the damn battery door doesn't come off easily (or at all without breaking it). Blackmagic strikes again!

rick.lang wrote:Brady, my mistake going from memory. They have two 2-pin canoes but neither is L shaped. I thought they had thought of everything, but I was wrong. You know if you contact Tilta they may agree they should include an L-shaped 2-pin connector. I suspect the difficulty is that it’s a locking connector that takes some pushing and pulling to tock and unlock. That action may be problematic for a L-shaped design. Wouldn’t hurt to ask them. The OEM may even agree and make one!

Robert Niessner

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 8:00 am

Michael Kropfberger wrote:Hi Rick,
maybe Weipu SF610/s2 is correct, but I still couldnt find anything online where to order... especially someone who sends to europe, regardless of shipping costs. so are there any URLs / shops, you know of?
the 2 pin version, available for "private" customers, not companies buying 1000 pieces :)

In the worst case, I will cut off the original power supply and add some in-between plug (eg. XT60)

thx
Mike

Michael, you can email Conrad.de support, as they do have the bigger Weipu connectors in stock, if they can order the smaller SF6 series for you.
I've already emailed Conrad.at about that and got a ticket number and a reply where they ask how many I'd interested in, but since then I've been stuck in support limbo with no answers anymore.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Michael Kropfberger wrote:Hi Rick,

thx
Mike

Michael, you can email Conrad.de support, as they do have the bigger Weipu connectors in stock, if they can order the smaller SF6 series for you.
I've already emailed Conrad.at about that and got a ticket number and a reply where they ask how many I'd interested in, but since then I've been stuck in support limbo with no answers anymore.

I could drive over to a Conrad store with the camera+power supply in hand.
Do you think that would help in finding the correct part number?

Note: I recommend to somehow mark the top-side of that connector. Getting it in in the correct orientation with a cage in dim light is nearly inpossible.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 4:13 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:I could drive over to a Conrad store with the camera+power supply in hand.

Well, that might speed things up. The questions is if they can special order that part or not. I guess it will be possible, as they have Weipu parts in their online store, just not the parts we are looking for.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
MarcusWolschon wrote:I could drive over to a Conrad store with the camera+power supply in hand.

Well, that might speed things up. The questions is if they can special order that part or not. I guess it will be possible, as they have Weipu parts in their online store, just not the parts we are looking for.

The only answer was "we don't have it".
The clerk wouldn't let me explain a single word.

I tried the service desk and he just directs you to the same guy. "sorry, can't help you".

Lesha_kvaz

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Guys! Try to order connector from alibaba. I am almost paid for order, but local supplier contacted me and offered to order connectors.
So for now there is two ways. Alibaba or through local supplier. As for local supplier you should ask every company that is official distributor. Half of them will say that its not available.

AND also you can order connectors directly from manufacturer. But they shipping orders by DHL or UPS. Thats bit on expensive side for few connector, but ok if you will order dozen of them.
Price is about 2,67$ and depends of quantity. For 50pcs they promising good discount.

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 6:10 pm

Lesha_kvaz wrote:Guys! Try to order connector from alibaba.

As a consumer with <100 parts, I'd use Aliexpress.

Is "Weipu SF610/s2" definately the correct size?
I don't want to order the wrong one, only to find out after 2-6 weeks random delivery time.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Original ... Title=true

Lesha_kvaz

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 6:34 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
Lesha_kvaz wrote:Guys! Try to order connector from alibaba.

As a consumer with <100 parts, I'd use Aliexpress.

Is "Weipu SF610/s2" definately the correct size?
I don't want to order the wrong one, only to find out after 2-6 weeks random delivery time.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Original ... Title=true

Alibaba work with retail to. Supplier confirmed me a pack of 5pcs connectors, with no problem. Just look for those ho sale low quantity 1-100pcs. I have found 4 of them and 3 reply to my (one of them was manufacturer ).

Aliexpress suppliers didnt have SF610/s2 yet. Only S6 series connectors they have is corresponding piece (male type).

I can not give any guaranty that SF610/s2 if 100% correct, but i have ordered them. Few suppliers and manufacturer confirmed this model as connector that BlackMagic is buying. Was they right or wrong i will se in few weeks when my connectors will arrive.

rick.lang

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 pm

We have been told that /S2 designates the female connector and I think it was /P2 I saw that was the male connector that the camera used.

Rick Lang

Lesha_kvaz

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 pm

rick.lang wrote:We have been told that /S2 designates the female connector and I think it was /P2 I saw that was the male connector that the camera used.

As i understood
P - stands for POST/PIN
s - stands for SOCKET
Camera have female connector with 2 pin contacts.
So we need connector with two sockets. So this should be /S2

weipu.JPG
weipu.JPG (74.67 KiB) Viewed 19440 times

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 am

Lesha, you may have a typo. The Camera has the male 2-pin post, not the female. So as you state the cable needs the female 2-pin socket.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 4:34 am

Correct Rick. With Audio cables, the “Male”sends the signal to the “Female”, but with power cables, it is the other way round, to prevent shorting out the male pins, if they are “hot”, so the camera has the male, and the cable providing the power is a female connector. Same hold true for power 4-pin XLR connectors.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 am

Sounds just like real life around my home. I may do the talking but someone else has the power.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Rick, you ”crack” me up! :lol:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Niessner

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 10:45 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:

The only answer was "we don't have it".
The clerk wouldn't let me explain a single word.

I tried the service desk and he just directs you to the same guy. "sorry, can't help you".

Marcus, I finally got an answer from Conrad.at. They offered me 10 pieces for 6 Euros per pc. netto. They estimated a delivery time of 7 weeks

Contact is business@conrad.at
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:23 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Marcus, I finally got an answer from Conrad.at. They offered me 10 pieces for 6 Euros per pc. netto. They estimated a delivery time of 7 weeks

Contact is business@conrad.at

Price sounds great but 7 weeks means January. :(

Michael Kropfberger

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 10:41 am

Hi Robert!
why not order 25 pieces and sell it internally all over Austria?! :)

then maybe the price goes even down...

I would take 2 or even 3....

greets
Mike

Robert Niessner

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Michael Kropfberger wrote:Hi Robert!
why not order 25 pieces and sell it internally all over Austria?! :)

then maybe the price goes even down...

I would take 2 or even 3....

greets
Mike

I was thinking about, yes. I thought it might be even better to let a professional pre-wire the plugs and then sell it, because that would be the most useful for people interested into getting that plugs.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
I was thinking about, yes. I thought it might be even better to let a professional pre-wire the plugs and then sell it, because that would be the most useful for people interested into getting that plugs.

Like... buying the 50eur cable pack from Blackmagic that isn't available?

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 pm

I've ordered 10 connectors directly from Weipu who sell through alibaba.com.

They've just finished being manufactured and should be shipped out next week.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Chris Chiasson

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 12:30 am

Cooper

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 12:43 pm

So I bit the bullet and bought the official Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack (65cm), a bit pricy to my liking with VAT and import tax rising the price. The cables arrived today from online store that ships to Scandinavia(+ Finland).

The locking connector is the Weipu sf6 series female plug, and no brand male d-tap and female 5,5/2,5 mm barrel connector, and the cable is AWM 1185 20awg.

Gabe Darvas

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 pm

please check my topic about power and D-tap question!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82281
Gabe D.

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Here's what the connector looks like. It splits into three parts.

Weipu SF610-S2 Connector 1.jpg
SF610-S2
Weipu SF610-S2 Connector 1.jpg (235.43 KiB) Viewed 18588 times

Weipu SF610-S2 Connector 2.jpg
SF610-S2
Weipu SF610-S2 Connector 2.jpg (416.11 KiB) Viewed 18588 times

Made up these cables last week.

BMP4K power cables.jpg
Cables with SF610-S2
BMP4K power cables.jpg (373.42 KiB) Viewed 18588 times
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 pm

Here's another cable wired up to a Juicebox.

BMP4K Loupe + RedRockRig 1 sm.jpg
BMP4K with cable, juicebox and loupe
BMP4K Loupe + RedRockRig 1 sm.jpg (860.58 KiB) Viewed 18609 times
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

marcellomazzilli

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:Here's what the connector looks like. It splits into three parts.

Weipu SF610-S2 Connector 1.jpg

Weipu SF610-S2 Connector 2.jpg

Made up these cables last week.

BMP4K power cables.jpg

Hi. Got the connectors from Cina. Just needed to know from you that made the cables... ... 1 carries positive (the central pin of a standard DC connector) and 2 negative (the outside "circle" of a standard DC connector) or the other way round ? Thanks
Marcello Mazzilli

marcellomazzilli

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:Here's another cable wired up to a Juicebox.

Which loupe is that ? ?!??! Seems great :)
Marcello Mazzilli

mico p

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 9:24 pm

They've made it real easy to get the right connector for the cam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weipu-SF6-2Pin ... SwezRcBk5T

Tristan Pemberton

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 10:56 pm

marcellomazzilli wrote:
Tristan Pemberton wrote:Here's another cable wired up to a Juicebox.

Which loupe is that ? ?!??! Seems great :)

That's the Hoodman Loupe 3.0".
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Lesha_kvaz

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Can anybody tell me what pin should be soldered to positive wire and what to negative ?

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Lesha_kvaz wrote:Can anybody tell me what pin should be soldered to positive wire and what to negative ?

1 = positive
2 = negative
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Lesha_kvaz

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:
Lesha_kvaz wrote:Can anybody tell me what pin should be soldered to positive wire and what to negative ?

1 = positive
2 = negative

Thank you!)

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Chris Chiasson

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 am

I bought the Core SWX D-Tap Cable for the Pocket 4K. For anyone else who got it, is this normal? I can't tell if something broke off, or if they're ok with the insides being exposed like this...

Core Cable.jpg
Core Cable.jpg (279.39 KiB) Viewed 13531 times

EDIT: Noticed the charger cable has the same opening. Guess I never noticed since I never used that connector to power a camera. Still makes me worry about it. Like what would happen if someone was drinking coffee, and a drop fell into it when the camera was being powered.

Return to Cinematography