Resolve Studio 15.1.2 Dust Bust does not work

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
kenjiyamamoto

Resolve Studio 15.1.2 Dust Bust does not work

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 10:00 pm

I'm having problems with Dust Busting. I go to Color>select OpenFX Overlay. Go to the Library and drag and drop Dust Busting to the Node of the clip. I choose settings in the Dust Buster Window, turn on 'Show Patches'. I create a frame around the 'dust'. The BOX is WHITE. But nothing happens.

I know the legacy Dust Buster works but does not offer undo. The framing BOX is YELLOW.

What am I doing wrong?

I am on Mac OS 10.13.3 High Sierra, Mac Pro Tower, 5,1 mid 2012, 2 x 6 core 2.66 ghrz CPU, 2 Terabyte SSD, 64 GB RAM, GPU-AMD Radeon HD 7950. I was told this issue has nothing to do with my graphic card.

Thanks for the help -Kenji

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve Studio 15.1.2 Dust Bust does not work

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 4:43 am

Provide a link to a Resolve log file and a project export .drp file of the project you are using dust bust in.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

dariobigi

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Dust busting undo is Alt-Z
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 6:27 am

kenjiyamamoto wrote:I'm having problems with Dust Busting. I go to Color>select OpenFX Overlay. Go to the Library and drag and drop Dust Busting to the Node of the clip. I choose settings in the Dust Buster Window, turn on 'Show Patches'. I create a frame around the 'dust'. The BOX is WHITE. But nothing happens.

I have found that because of the Node Order of Operations, the Dust Busting OFX plug-in happens before sizing changes. As a result, if you have any kind of an output resize going on (which is typical for film restoration projects), you have to bypass that in order to do dirt removal or patching. It does work for me on the Trashcan Mac, and I think I've done at least 10 projects since June or so where we used it here and there. In some cases, results are nothing short of miraculous.

I have had sporadic malfunctions where a small box selection area didn't work as well as a large box area, and vice versa. And it took me some time to discover that drawing the box from left-to-right yields different results than drawing it right-to-left. I tend to get better results with next frame than +1 frame, but there's a lot of "it depends" to the operation. I would also prefer a round shape to a square shape, but that's me.

Given that tools like this used to cost upwards of $20,000 (the original daVinci Revival), I think getting it for free is pretty amazing.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve