Help trying to outline the shape of a building?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bryce1410

Help trying to outline the shape of a building?

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Hey guys, I've been struggling with this forever and can't seem to figure it out. I should also mention I'm only about 2 months into editing and pretty new. Davinci is all I have used. I basically want to get an outline of a building and have it be motion tracked to stick to it.

I'm not that great with fusion, so I have made use of the power windows for highlighting the object and having it tracked. But I cannot seem to figure out how to make the inside not colored. What am I missing?

Thanks

Marc Wielage

Re: Help trying to outline the shape of a building?

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 1:48 am

Pages 2306 and 2307 of the Resolve 15 manual go into some steps for sky replacement with tracking, and (if I understand your question) this should do what you want.

There are cases where the Point Tracker is more useful than the Global Tracker, so this might take some experimentation. For really complex stuff, Mocha Pro standalone is what I would recommend, but that's a specialized tool.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jack Fairley

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 1:52 am

If you only want a correction to apply to the outside of your tracked window, you can invert the matte.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Dermot Shane

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 4:37 am

There's a pretty good tutorial on LowePost focused on roto/tracking a building, and replaceing it with sky;
https://lowepost.com/finishing/tutorial ... cement-r6/

bryce1410

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:If you only want a correction to apply to the outside of your tracked window, you can invert the matte.

Can you elaborate on that? When I do, everything outside of the square building perimeters (in this case) is highlighted to whatever changes I've made. I thought about maybe doing two masks on top of each other, on inverted and just slightly smaller to just have an outline but that didnt really work and was wayyyy to difficult to even look like it was remotely outline.

Please does anyone know a simple way to outline and track a structure or shape?

bryce1410

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 3:51 pm

Bump?

Sorry if I am not allowed to do this. There just has to be a way to outline things....

JPOwens

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 pm

bryce1410 wrote:Please does anyone know a simple way to outline and track a structure or shape?

Maybe all you want to do is an edge detection and not a matte for the entire object? Is that your question?

jPo CSI

bryce1410

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 pm

I've figured it out! Ofcourse it was within fusion, I just never wanted to admit it. Fusion is so scary and intimidating, but I guess its time I start. Just hoped it could be within the color tab.

For anyone looking in the future, here is how I did it. From top to down in lamence terms, is "shape" "color" and "tracking". Just be sure to click inverted within the "shape" or polygon inspector.

Also, the transform tab allows for keyframing it coming on and off.
Attachments
How to outline.JPG
How to outline.JPG (304.48 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve