Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 1:38 am

If you check the accessories tab for the Pocket 4K, you’ll notice a new accessory added. The Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack.

“Now you can conveniently power your Pocket Cinema Camera 4K from a variety of different power sources. Pack includes D-tap to 2-pin, 2.5mm barrel to 2-pin and 2-pin to fly lead to create your own custom cables. All cables are 650mm long.”

The D-tap I like, because I got a battery that can use it.

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 am

Yes, nice kit. But given that the Bike Video used just on battery for a half day shooting, not sure how useful adding a big battery Wilma be, unless,ykumneed to shot a live event that lasts more than one hour? :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 2:52 am

I’ll definitely pick up the D-tap to 2-pin. I just prefer using the big V-mount battery when I’m on the tripod. Saving the power in the camera battery for when I want mobility. One less thing to think about. Glad there’s a BMD product for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

haydarhaydar

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 6:44 pm

rick.lang wrote:I’ll definitely pick up the D-tap to 2-pin. I just prefer using the big V-mount battery when I’m on the tripod. Saving the power in the camera battery for when I want mobility. One less thing to think about. Glad there’s a BMD product for that.

So if we get the cable, are we able to connect a vmount battery with dtap output directly to the camera's 12V input?

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Yes, that is the idea. The camera takes 12-20VDC on its external power input. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Even Nikon has delays is shipping new cameras. Not unique to BM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Agree.

Just need to hire Tim Cook and we would have those cables included for free in the camera package as they always do when they release some new technology. Problem solved... oh, I forgot to mention, Tim Cook’s price for the BMPCC4K will be $2,995. Guess I just have to be patient and appreciate what we get for $1,295.

Rick Lang

Fabián Aguirre

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 am

I, too, have had a pre-order for the cable pack for a few weeks and haven't heard anything yet. Our pocket has been working non-stop since we received it three weeks ago, and power is the only frustrating aspect so far. I have a ton of Lp-e6 batteries (Canon and off-brand) and none of them meter reliably on the camera. I'm lucky to get 40 minutes out of them because, other times, the camera will shut off when it shows 30% left.

We shoot a lot of documentary content and this camera is perfect, alongside our UM46K, but there are times where I really need more than an hour of continuous power (long interviews, on stage performances, panel discussions, etc), and I actually don't mind kitting out the pocket with rails, V-mount batteries and monitors. In fact, I love that this camera can turn into a more professional-looking kit easily.

In an effort to make my life easier, and in preparation for a long shoot today, I purchased an Lp-e6-to-Dtap so I could run it all day. To my surprise, the camera shuts off after about 5 minutes, with a full 98wh battery attached. This particular adapter had good reviews and is used to power Canon cameras, SmallHD monitors, and other devices.

Has anyone tried to power their bmpcc4k using a dummy battery?
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

Fabián Aguirre

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 2:10 am

Ray (that's what it is) wrote:Strange that the camera would shut off. I have a Rolux 120Wh V-Lock battery and using the supplied dummy battery, not once over five days of use did I have an issue. The battery was also supplying power to a field monitor and audio recorder. I suspect that your dummy battery must be faulty.

Thanks, Ray. I spoke with BMD and they confirmed what Rick mentioned in another thread-- the camera expects 7.2-7.4v, and the dummy battery I purchased says it provides "about 8".

On the other hand, I was able to track down a cable pack from Core Microsystems in California and they've already shipped me a pack (I promptly cancelled my preorder from Adorama). It still shows as in-stock so, for those looking, hurry up and grab one!

We shot interviews with the camera today for almost six hours and I made it using my canon batteries. I cannot wait for that cable pack to arrive...
Fabián Aguirre
www.theunderstory.co

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 2:41 am

I noticed Core Micro Systems posting on the forum. They also now carry the lineup of Wise media including the near weightless Wise Portable SSD up to 1TB.

Rick Lang

Fabián Aguirre

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 am

Ray (that's what it is) wrote:
I was able to track down a cable pack from Core Microsystems in California

How on earth are they able to have the Blackmagic cable pack available when no one else does?

They didn’t always have them— my understanding is that they received them this week, so I suspect other retailers will receive theirs as well soon. At least in small numbers.
Fabián Aguirre
www.theunderstory.co

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 am

Any source in Europe that has these ready for shipping?

Robert tracked down some plugs to make your own but they mentioned 7 weeks of lead time.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80084&p=452980#p452980

LukasColombo

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 6:26 am

ABOUT TIME!! DC cables now available on AMAZON PRIME for the BMPCC4K! Type Kondor Blue in amazon search.

Iain Philpott

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Ordered mine in the UK from CVP about a month ago. It arrived last week.

Return to Cinematography