Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Yue Shi Lai

Re: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!!!

PostWed May 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Thanks Yue. So, this is for the original pocket? It's very acceptable. I thought they might be implying less than 50% IR removal. I wonder if it produces the mild pastel I see, or is it still the colour filter.

This was measured on the Micro Cinema Camera, not the original Pocket.

Wayne Steven

PostThu May 03, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks anyway. Do they have identical sort of picture characteristics? If so, the filters and pixel response are likely the same.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Yue Shi Lai

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:23 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Thanks anyway. Do they have identical sort of picture characteristics? If so, the filters and pixel response are likely the same.

The Pocket and Micro appears to be the same, except for moiré.

But the bigger caveat is, the need for IR filtering depends on the sensor itself, and the 4K Sony sensor will have a different susceptibility to IR. Since the spectral sensitivity of a CMOS varies with the depth of junctions under the surface, the Sony manufacturing for back-side illuminated sensor is unlikely to result similar junctions as the front-side illuminated Fairchild sensor, from the original Pocket and Micro.

Clarence Williams

PostSat May 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Are there any Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k test available?

Sean van Berlo

PostSun May 13, 2018 11:52 am

Nope.

rick.lang

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!!!

PostSun May 13, 2018 5:21 pm

No tests with any rigor but a couple of images in from a NAB 2018 review. Maybe worth waiting for better test samples that likely will appear just before the camera ships hopefully in September. Of course if you wait for sample clips, you’ll wait a lot longer for the camera.

If you have plans for the camera in a September or October shoot, your best strategy is a preorder from a small shop. But check their return policy. A small shop might not be as willing to accept a return as the very large retailers.

In the past, BMD has tried to ship a small number of cameras to as many retailers as possible, rather than ship a lot of cameras to the largest retailers and shut out the small shops for months. And remember that the flow is first to the five world regions distributors who then allocate cameras to the retailers in their region. The scenario I described applies to North America, but may not apply to all other regions or to all retailers.

It’s just a bit like winning the lottery. You play because it’s fun to play and you might actually get a camera before Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

petrnaumenko

PostSat May 19, 2018 9:48 am

As I understand the size of the matrix in pixels for 4k mode will be 4096 x 2160 in proportion to the physical size of 18.96 mm x 10 mm.

I wonder what physical size will be for the FHD mode 1920 x 1080?

According to rumors it will be ~ 8.88 mm x 5 mm. But I want to clarify.

rick.lang

PostSat May 26, 2018 5:40 am

8.8875mm x 5mm

Rick Lang

Savannah Miller

PostThu May 31, 2018 5:52 am

I'm totally hoping that they release demo footage just in time for Cinegear. I'm pretty sure John has already shot something, so this would be a nice move if they can show something. Not sure it will happen though.

Denny Smith

PostThu May 31, 2018 5:58 am

Yes, but John B can make any camera look good!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu May 31, 2018 11:32 pm

Savannah Miller wrote:I'm totally hoping that they release demo footage just in time for Cinegear. I'm pretty sure John has already shot something, so this would be a nice move if they can show something. Not sure it will happen though.

The appearance of offically released footage would be a big milestone. An indication that the camera is actually close to done.

Savannah Miller

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 5:41 am

The camera is already "done" enough to shoot with, it's just that some things may not be finalized. They just need footage and then inspect it thoroughly enough that random people on the internet don't tear it apart and find flaws.

The 4.6K demo footage was older gen2 color science and it did improve upon release but that didn't stop the demo film from looking very nice.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 11:03 am

The camera was "done" almost two months ago. I've seen BM fiddle with a "done" camera for a good part of a year. The 4.6k turret will be almost "done" till the stars go cold. In BM double talk, "done" means nothing until BM thinks it's "done" enough to release official footage.

JonnMc

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 1:31 pm

rick.lang wrote:No tests with any rigor but a couple of images in from a NAB 2018 review. Maybe worth waiting for better test samples that likely will appear just before the camera ships hopefully in September. Of course if you wait for sample clips, you’ll wait a lot longer for the camera.

So there are pictures taken with the camera on the internet?

Savannah Miller

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 7:58 pm

How do you know the 4.6K turret is almost done? Yes there is a working 4.6K URSA camera, but does a 4.6K sensor stuck inside an URSA body mean that the turret is finished?

I think the turret will never be finished because it's too expensive and there's not enough URSA cameras to justify the cost.

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 8:12 pm

Savannah, we are discussing the new Pocket Camers 4K, and the development time from almost done (two months ago at NAB), to release and possible early footage samples, based on the release of the UM4.6 history. This has nothing to do with the Ursa 4.6 turret.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm

For a while BM observed the discipline of announcing a product only when it was shipping. Given their poor track record of accurate delivery announcements, it was the only thing they could do to recover some semblance of credibilty given their previous history on multiple cameras. And if they wish to sell to professional cinematographers, it wouldn't hurt to have somewhat predictable product availability.

On of the things prized in BM cameras is their image quality. They work hard to get it right, and it's usually a good sign that they think they are very close when they release footage. It can't really be a "done" camera till they've done that. Previously "done" cameras have been held up for many months past their original ship dates while BM got it right.

Please don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want BM to change a thing except one. Don't announce till it's shipping.

Everything is peaches and cream until they start continuously slipping their ship dates. Then the pain starts for those professionals who believed BM.

Manging expectations is a big part of product development, and if you are not very good at calling your shots you shouldn't announce the shot till it's in the hole.

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 10:34 pm

Very true Gene, once we see some sample footage, we know it’s close. While BM missed some shipping dates trying to add non-starter features, namely GS on the UM 4.6 and Micro Cinema Camera, recent deadlines, including then Micro Studio were shipped on time, as was the first small shipment of the original Pocket camera. So I am willing to give BM the benefit, that they will ship the new Pocket 4K on time.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:52 am

Apple is an interesting example of announcing new hardware and the announcement usually includes the future shipping date if it is not “shipping today.” The only recent exception is the ‘new’ Mac Pro that didn’t ship until the sands of time were running out of the December hourglass in 2013. And the ‘newer’ Mac Pro was hinted last year but “not shipping in 2018.” The phones are that the other extreme where you can pretty much set your watch by a tightly managed timeline that has only slipped a few weeks once as I recall.

My point is if you don’t ship until it’s available then your announcements and shipping dates must be quite predictable by the consumer. So the sage consumer can plan when they will add new cameras with some confidence. If the “now shipping” products are delivered helter-skelter over the years then inevitably you have the complaint “damn I just bought the URSA Mini 4.6K last month and it’s now dead with the unexpected release of the new URSA Micro 6K!

BMD would need to pick the show for announcing and delivering cameras and preferably use a different date for cameras versus the plethora of other gear they sell. Putting nearly all new announcements into NAB must be life-threatening for their staff with so much announced on the same day every year.

Apple announces fewer products and delivers fewer products but splits it up into two or three seasonal periods depending on the type of gear. Lesson learned?

I’m okay with whatever path they follow, but what has occurred in past years cannot be an ideal business model. We have had some of the explanations why something was delayed for many months and it’s often related to third-parties and believing what they were told by those vendors or assuming the vendors were trustworthy. The sensor glass issues, the magenta corners/clouds, the unusable global shutter to allow user selectable shutters, and others.

They often chase very bleeding-edge technology supplied by others and of course we all have blood on our hands as a result. The BMPCC4K should be a different story and delays if any may just be seasoning their secret sauce to which we are addicted. It had better not have anything to do with their cutting edge carbon fibre polycarbonate bodies dissolving in sunshine or rain!
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Bring on some footage, so I can compare it to that stuff from NAB. I'm more worried about the Sony highlight cut off and the colour performance curves of the sensor/filter. I may have not likeed what I saw at NAB, but it doesn't mean that is just then, and everything is normally better and will more grade like a 4.6k.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

John Brawley

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 7:26 pm

There can many reasons footage isn’t released or a camera might not be shipped.

This happened to the very first BMD camera when another company that have to sign off on an implementation for a certain codec take their sweet time. You can’t release footage until it’s licensed (even from another codec) And if they drag their feet in doing so you have a very very solid reason for not releasing footage.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 1:49 am

Interesting point. Hopefully the codec sign off has some well documented procedural limitations so the firm signing off can’t withhold approval beyond reasonable expectations, if that proves to be a major contributing factor to a delay beyond September.

Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 12:15 pm

No wonder people are not happy about licensing a certain codec. Really makes me hesitant about doing a camera with it, even though it should be a no brainer. It means also, I would likely not be allowed to put in a custom 14 or 16 bit mode.

Clarence Williams

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 6:08 pm

I saw a few tests with this camera, pretty impressive! I'm still waiting to upgrade from my 2.5 cinema camera. I was hoping to get a 35mm sensor, I did not like the Ursa line at all. I wonder if they have something else coming down the pike!? Also, any advice on adapters for EF mount with this camera?

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 6:15 pm

Clarence, the new full size MFT sensor p, 10.5x18.96mm) is just about the same size as the Cine Std. 35mm Academy open gate. I think the new PC4K is just as much an upgrade for the BMCC and it is for the Pocket camera, combining design bits from both, with a larger sensor than either of them, putting the biggest 4K sensor they could stuff in a MFT mount format camera. If the MFT group, had kept the larger diameter of the original Four Thirds Mount, yiu could get a full Academy, or even a smaller S35 size sensor in it. But they chose to reduce the Mount diameter to help reduce the size, and complicate, the MFT lens design.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 7:05 pm

It's a great relief that sample footage has finally been released. BM still isn't out of the woods yet, but it's looking better.

Jim Giberti

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:It's a great relief that sample footage has finally been released. BM still isn't out of the woods yet, but it's looking better.

Actually, they did a really good DR test in the woods. ;)

Clarence Williams

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 11:39 pm

It'd be lovely to see a test with Leica R Lenses!

Christopher Dobey

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 6:59 pm

'Unfortunately, one or more of the items in your order is not in stock'

Oh darn, my Pre-order is now a Backorder on Adorama. If this is anything like my Production Camera 4K Pre-Order, I'll have my camera about this time next year lol :lol:
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Yeah, usually not a good idea to order a pre-order item as if it were in stock.

tillkrueger

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 pm

With that said, I couldn't take the pre-order wait anymore, and when B&H sent me an email that mine would ship out approximately mid-January, I broke down, cancelled my pre-order, put $500 on top of the refund amount and purchased one of the new ones on eBay. It stings a bit, but I have a trip to Kauai coming up in mid-December and many smaller trips before then, so I figured that it'd be worth it.

Received it a few days ago, but have been so busy with other work that I have had almost zero time to actually shoot...just figuring out the menu system, looking for another lens to add to my first MFT lens (the Panasonic 14-120mmm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S.) which I ordered along with it (looking for an inexpensive but good macro lens, of which there are a couple, namely the Olympus 30mm and also the Panasonic 45mm), and dealing with storage to record to (I picked the G-DRIVE 1TB over the Samsung T5) and how to power the PCC4K. Just found my LP-E6 dummy battery in my Canon 5D mkIII case, which I had almost forgotten about (the dummy battery, not the 5D), and was overjoyed to find that when connected to my Anchor 20,000mAh set to output at 9V, it powers the camera properly. The same couldn't be said for a dual-USB dummy battery I had ordered on Amazon. The PCC4K would power on and immediately off again. That's why I was so relieved to find my existing dummy battery to do just fine. The Anchor is a great power-bank that has served me really well for 5+ years already...I have taken it *everywhere* and use it constantly, so it's bound to power the PCC4K for about as long as 8-10 of the LP-E6's.

But, being ever the perfectionist with all things technology, I was wondering whether anyone knew of a cable that goes from a classic 9V barrel connector to the 2 pin power connector of the PCC4K? I found this one here, which may not have the right barrel size (which could be adapted fairly easily/inexpensively), but at $89 it's a bit on the pricey side, me thinks:

(link removed, bc I'm not yet allowed to use any, but it's called "NEBTEK ARRI2 TO BLACKMAGIC POWER CABLE")

At a little bit less, $59, there is this one:

(link removed, bc I'm not yet allowed to use any, but it's called "Redrock Micro Blackmagic Cinema Camera to PowerPack Cable")

But anyone know of a solution that's less than that? There are a number of 9V capable power-banks out there for less than the professional (and usually rather heavy) battery packs are, and with the right cable, they would make for a very nice power solution for the PCC4K.

Oh boy, so much to figure out...but as always, I wanna get the "accessorising" figured out as well, to create the most comfortable and efficient (meaning good price/performance) shooting setup for this amazing little camera...so excited to get my work taken care of and really get going with experimenting!

tillkrueger

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 11:44 pm

to answer my own question, there already appears to be a lively discussion going on about the 2 pin cable at forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80084

here's to learning all about it...

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 am

A barrel connector to 2-pin is one of the three cables bundled by BMD for $55. But don’t know if that’s really shipping yet.

Rick Lang

tillkrueger

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 3:40 am

Thanks Rick. Is there any info on that package available online? If it’s 3 cables at $55, and eachone increases the usefulness of all things PCC4K, then that’s a fair price, me thinks. Curious what the other two cables will be. Do you know?

Justin Jackson

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 6:58 am

Can you list the power pack you use? I was thinking of getting the CORE PowerEdge battery to mount under/to the side of cage/camera to power it. I am not sure how long that would last. I know my current v-mount 98WH CORE powers my Sony AX53 camera and Atomos Ninja Inferna while recording for about 3 to 4 hours. I assume the BM4K uses similar power to the Atomos, which alone should run for a good 5 or so hours on the one 98WH battery I think. I would love to have a smaller battery pack that I can velcro/grip mount to the camera cage and use a hirose 2-pin to power the camera with. I dont have mine yet so not sure what the actual input needs are though.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Sean van Berlo

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 am

Here's something I couldn't find in the manual or menu's: can you turn the red recording light off? I'm doing some filming behind a stage at a theater right now and the red light, while still relatively dim, definitely gets very noticeable at that point.

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:18 am

Sean van Berlo wrote:red light, while still relatively dim, definitely gets very noticeable at that point.

Tap it/mask. Not the best solution but a solution never the less.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 am

No need to tape the light. You can switch it off in the menu under SETUP -> page 3 TALLY LIGHT LED
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Sean van Berlo

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 10:35 am

Robert Niessner wrote:No need to tape the light. You can switch it off in the menu under SETUP -> page 3 TALLY LIGHT LED

Awesome, thank you very much!

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 5:11 pm

tillkrueger wrote:Thanks Rick. Is there any info on that package available online?

Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack

Order Code: CABLE-CCPOC4K/DC
Now you can conveniently power your Pocket Cinema Camera 4K from a variety of different power sources. Pack includes D-tap to 2-pin, 2.5mm barrel to 2-pin and 2-pin to fly lead to create your own custom cables. All cables are 650mm long.
$55

Rick Lang

tillkrueger

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 5:35 pm

@Justin Jackson

Justin Jackson wrote:Can you list the power pack you use? I was thinking of getting the CORE PowerEdge battery to mount under/to the side of cage/camera to power it. I am not sure how long that would last. I know my current v-mount 98WH CORE powers my Sony AX53 camera and Atomos Ninja Inferna while recording for about 3 to 4 hours. I assume the BM4K uses similar power to the Atomos, which alone should run for a good 5 or so hours on the one 98WH battery I think. I would love to have a smaller battery pack that I can velcro/grip mount to the camera cage and use a hirose 2-pin to power the camera with. I dont have mine yet so not sure what the actual input needs are though.

I use an older model of an Anchor power bank that doesn't appear to be sold anymore (at least not on Amazon, where I purchased it originally)...it has about 25,000,Ah and includes 3 USB ports and two DC barrel connectors, one input for charing the power bank with the included PSU, and one output that can be switched between 9V and 12V.

While I don't see that model anymore (it wasn't cheap, at around $150), I am looking for a comparable alternative...I'll let you know if I find one, and if you do, please do post to this thread, if you can? I am looking to add one to my arsenal, that also provides USB-C power.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to both power the PCC4K via USB-C while also using it to capture to an external USB-C SSD? some sort of bi-directional USB-C splitter, or is that a pipe-dream?

I guess if I solve the power issue with a 2 pin cable connected to a power bank, then that wouldn't be necessary.

Justin Jackson

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 pm

I suspect most of the time I will have this on a tripod or a gimbal, so shouldnt have a problem using my v-mount battery. I will most likely get that cable kit that Rick just linked. Both my vmount batteries have d-tap ports on them, and my wooden camera distribution box has 2 and 2-pin limo so hopefully that will cover me in powering this with the 2-pin plug.
I do like the idea of the smaller power bank and dummy batter (or 2-pin) setup for guerrilla style use though.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Peter Odio

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 5:57 pm

rick.lang wrote:
tillkrueger wrote:Thanks Rick. Is there any info on that package available online?

Blackmagic Pocket Camera DC Cable Pack

Order Code: CABLE-CCPOC4K/DC
Now you can conveniently power your Pocket Cinema Camera 4K from a variety of different power sources. Pack includes D-tap to 2-pin, 2.5mm barrel to 2-pin and 2-pin to fly lead to create your own custom cables. All cables are 650mm long.
$55

Ordered on 9/15 @ Adorama. Still in backorder.
promedios.tv

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Ordered my new camera two months ago, and it is shipping Nov. 16 — that said, my new camera is not the BMPCC 4K, cancelled that order and ordered the new Nikon Z6. :roll:

Nothing wrong with the new Pocket, seems it is going to be a wounderful Camera. My Ursa Broadcast and Micro Studio are filling my current video needs. Need a new still camera right now, hence the Z6.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 6:01 pm

I've had my PCC4K for four days now and so far I'm happy with it. I haven't had a chance to check out everything but I have noticed issues others have reported like inconsistent battery status readout across different makes of battery and low audio levels for in-camera mics. I do think it a stretch to put this camera in the lineage of the original pocket. It seems more like an offspring of the cinema camera.

Justin Jackson

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Gene, what do you mean it is a stretch to put this camera in the lineage of the original? Are you saying the original cinematic quality is a lot better? Or that this is a nice/big improvement?

The good thing for me is.. I have a vmount battery setup for power and a SD MixPre 10T for external audio, so both of those issues dont bother me... much. The battery bit I really want to find a smaller battery pack that can power it for 3 or so hours... preferably with hot-swap small rechargeable batteries. I gotta believe 2 or 3 18650 batteries could power the camera for a bit more than the canon one.. plug in a dummy battery in the compartment and hopefully there is a way to rig up a hot-swap option where you can replace one battery at a time without losing power. I do have a v-mount hot-swap plate as well, so I am not too worried for tripod/gimbal setups, but I am thinking in the case you just want lens, SSD and.. in my case my small rigs cage around it but otherwise no monitor, big battery pack, etc.. it would be nice to have a smaller/lighter battery setup. I am not sure the input requirements for the camera when also using USB-C recorder.. but if its 12v 1.5a in or so.. I gotta believe someone will rig up or do a DIY video on how to rig up a smaller battery option.

I primarily want the XLR audio in for a syncing track.. though again if I were to just be recording video, the on board mics I hear are decent enough for basic audio. Anything important and I am bringing my SD 10T.

Any other short comings you feel worth mentioning yet?

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:Gene, what do you mean it is a stretch to put this camera in the lineage of the original? Are you saying the original cinematic quality is a lot better? Or that this is a nice/big improvement?

I'm still checking out the camera so I can't say much about the image quality. My initial impression is that the original pocket seemed to me to have a better image. But so much of that is dependent on the grade and I have to learn how to grade the image from the PCC4K. I guess my reasons for saying that the lineage is more like the cinema camera is the large touchscreen and overall size of the camera. It seems more evocative of that camera than the original pocket.

Any other short comings you feel worth mentioning yet?

Again, I've only had the camera for four days, so that's all I have. I'll post more as I learn more.

Ric Murray

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 pm

My PCC4K is coming Wednesday, but what I really can't wait for is BM Raw on it. I just shot a short on my UMP4.6K with BMRaw and it's a real game changer in both visual quality and workflow. Putting that into the PCC4K with the dual native ISO is going to create a whole new set of possibilities for a B cam/steadicam/gymbal system for budget indie film making.
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

Justin Jackson

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Ric,

I see many people indicate this BMPCC4K as a B camera... but if the dual ISO gives it better low light than the Ursa Mini Pro, and the cinematic quality is on par (other than the 4K vs 4.6K resolution diff), do you (and others) feel this camera couldnt be an A cam? If so, is it because of the perception that it is so small and just cant hold up to the bigger cameras (even if the image quality is on par.. if not better (when accounting for low light))? I also refer to the COSMOS movie that is hopefully coming soon, shot on the original BM pocket, which as some say, may hold better cinematic quality than this.. or maybe not.. regardless.. if that camera can do a feature film, with BRAW and 4K and better low light, is it possible this could be seen making feature films? I mean, truthfully I understand that a studio putting out a few mil to 10s of millions would probably fire the DP and whoever else showed up with this as the main camera vs a RED or ARRI. I also realize the likes of me and others would easily shoot Indie with this no problem.. but I guess I am trying to figure out when technology surpasses perception... if the camera quality is as good as the $100K setups.. why couldnt you use it for A-cam material? From what I am to understand, the lens has a big role in the quality of the video anyway.. so with a good 25K+ lens, I would assume you could get as good an image from this?

Justin Jackson

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 9:01 pm

For those with the BM4K (and I guess Ursa).. can you instantly go from 60fps to 24fps and back while recording? I read someone say (or so a video) that one of the custom buttons switches to 60fps.. I was wondering if that is possible in real time.. how does the video file come out.. does it start a new file with 60p... and if you switch back to 24p.. another new file? If so, is there any drop in frames during the switch? If not, then I assume the point of the button is to more quickly get in to 60fps/24fps modes, but you would still have to stop recording, switch, the start again?
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography