ATEM disturbing radio mic receiver. Should I be worried?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alexander Kinov

ATEM disturbing radio mic receiver. Should I be worried?

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 6:06 am

Hey!

I recently added radio microphone in my broadcast system and the receiver (true diversity) is installed in the same rack case with the atem switcher. I noticed something odd - when the radio mic is off, the receiver produces loud noise, which is a problem, if you forget to turn it off from the audio mixer.
Yesterday I decided to play with the squelch settings and I was surprised there was no noise. But the whole system was off, so I thought maybe something in my system is causing the disturbance in the receiver.
I powered all the units in the system one by one, until the noise appeared. It was the ATEM switcher. When I move the receiver away, the noise disappears. So, there is no problem keeping the receiver away from the system, but should I be worried about the disturbance, caused by the ATEM?
And can this disturbance act the same way as wifi router (causing camera flicker, when the router is too close to my rack) ?

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM disturbing radio mic receiver. Should I be worried?

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Yes and Yes.. You should not have WIFI routers, Wireless mic receivers or transmitters in close proximity to the Atem. But also no Routers or other high frequency stuff nearby your MIC receivers.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Martin

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 1:07 pm

IMO you shouldn't be using WiFi at all in a production.
WiFi isn't a pro spec solution its design was in domestic markets.
If you need to run over IP use gigabit ethernet on wired connections.
Even better run fibre, but I understand for many that would be overkill. :D

Alexander Kinov

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks!
Wireless mic is important for the productions we do. As for the wifi routers - I already know from experience it causes problems :) so I keep the router away from the system (it's not for pro streaming use, it is just 4G device, that provides internet for our own needs, when working on field)

Return to Live Production