Davinci to FCPX Workflow?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ciordia9

Davinci to FCPX Workflow?

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm

I've been with Final Cut since the numerical days. I understand Premiere since early FC and Premier share a pretty good beginning UI structure. However, Davinci is a new beast, and looks quite nice from the first few steps into it.

It is my understanding that I should really use Davinci Resolve as a color grade/lut burning tool at a minimum. Is this right?

If so what are your general workflows you may model when doing work?

Peter Benson

Re: Davinci to FCPX Workflow?

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Your question, in my view is much too broad. Kindly provide your readers an example of what you'd like to do, specifically -- between Resolve (a terrific editor by the way) and FCPX.

Til you get a useful response, I'd recommend you do a YouTube search for the task you wish to learn more about.
For example,
YouTube > "How to import FCPX project into Resolve for color grading"

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Ciordia9

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Peter Benson wrote:Your question, in my view is much too broad. Kindly provide your readers an example of what you'd like to do, specifically -- between Resolve (a terrific editor by the way) and FCPX.

Til you get a useful response, I'd recommend you do a YouTube search for the task you wish to learn more about.
For example,
YouTube > "How to import FCPX project into Resolve for color grading"

Too true Peter. I realize in hindsight I was asking an encyclopedic worth of possibilities. Mainly I was looking for a Resolve LUT application workflow to FCPX.

Since posting this I've made a handful of mock projects and doing another one in a moment. I end up doing everything currently in it as I don't have a handle on efficiently bringing the bits in for coloring/application then pushing them out. For some idiotic reason, I did not think to search YT for a solution, thanks for giving me a clue.

I do like the software, it seems very nice and has some great builtins that I'm used to multi-app'ing. I'll definitely continue to learn it.

Peter Benson

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Awesomeness! :-)

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Brad Hurley

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 pm

If you're roundtripping from FCPX and Resolve, just be sure you have the latest versions of both; I've seen reports of problems otherwise.

FCPX has significantly improved its color grading tools in the last couple of updates, but whether it's enough to meet your needs depends on your needs. If you're not actually color grading but just applying finishing LUTs I don't see much advantage in using Resolve since you can do the same thing in FCPX. There are even plugins like Kojicolor or Filmconvert that you can drop onto log footage (as long as it's properly white balanced) in FCPX and it might get you just the look you want with a minimum of tweaking and a 15-minute learning curve.

It's worth investing the time to learn how to color grade in Resolve if you're seriously interested in working with color, but don't underestimate what you can do already in Final Cut. Ripple Training has excellent training videos on color grading in the latest version of Final Cut and a brand-new training series on advanced color grading in Resolve 15. They cost money, but are much better than most of the free videos you might find on youtube.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Ciordia9

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:If you're roundtripping from FCPX and Resolve, just be sure you have the latest versions of both; I've seen reports of problems otherwise.

[...]

It's worth investing the time to learn how to color grade in Resolve if you're seriously interested in working with color, but don't underestimate what you can do already in Final Cut. Ripple Training has excellent training videos on color grading in the latest version of Final Cut and a brand-new training series on advanced color grading in Resolve 15. They cost money, but are much better than most of the free videos you might find on youtube..

Yea latest versions and it's been an ok experience (round-tripping.) I'd say do it earlier in your process than later as the crazier you get in FCPX the less cohesive it's going to come over (even simple-ish audio cuts got mangled recently,) then when bringing it back you might just be ripping the refreshed video over your old instead of integrating it on a project level. Not the most fluid, but I'm getting it.

As you said until recently, for whatever reason, FCPX was not a grading tool--I am so happy that it now has a kit that can be worked with and I have been using it for some S-LOG work up until the BMP4K delivery. Then I thought it'd be well worth it to know the native workflow. Currently using Resolve just is neat. The color tools/node control seems to be a head and shoulder above FCPX but it might just be the representation is different enough that Igrokkinggroking the fully Vinn diagram of it all.

A different production house coming up wants me to pick up Premier again so I don't know what I am these days. One place wants FCPX/Motion, new Premier, me I want to learn more of Resolve. Guess you just stay limber to the tools. Thanks for the training notes, I've used Ripples free stuff but I might pick up a few programs just to accelerate things that would otherwise take too much time.

Return to Post Production