Duplicate Fusion Clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Levi3d

Duplicate Fusion Clip

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 3:04 pm

I may be missing something obvious here, but I can't work out how to duplicate a fusion clip (rather than make an instance of the same clip). By which I mean make a whole new identical fusion clip, not just copy the same clip elsewhere.

I have a 'master' comp, and I need to make a number of duplicates of it which will each then be altered. I appreciate the underlying clips with each fusion comp will still be linked to the original clips.

Am I missing something?

(I have posted this in the Fusion forum, but I realise that the integrated version of fusion may work differently)

Indigo Rebel

Re: Duplicate Fusion Clip

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 3:37 pm

So let me get this straight, you want the duplicated clips to act as one once you make changes to any of them. Or you want them to work independently once they've been created?
Hardware
Workstation 1 = Dual Hex core Xeon E5645 @ 2.4GHZ - 22 gig ram - GTX 970 - Sandisk Ultra II SSDs
Laptop = Dell XPS15 9560 - I7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHZ - 16 gig ram - GTX 960m - NVMe PM951 SSD
Software
Windows 10 - Resolve 15 - Fusion 9
www.indigorebel.com

Levi3d

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Indigo Rebel wrote:So let me get this straight, you want the duplicated clips to act as one once you make changes to any of them. Or you want them to work independently once they've been created?

The actual fusion clips are independent, not an instance - so you can go into each 'version' and make changes. So I could go into the copied version, and make changes, but the original wouldn't be affected.

Indigo Rebel

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it currently works if I copy the fusion clip on the edit timeline. Any changes I make to the copied clip don't affect the original.
Hardware
Workstation 1 = Dual Hex core Xeon E5645 @ 2.4GHZ - 22 gig ram - GTX 970 - Sandisk Ultra II SSDs
Laptop = Dell XPS15 9560 - I7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHZ - 16 gig ram - GTX 960m - NVMe PM951 SSD
Software
www.indigorebel.com

Levi3d

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Indigo Rebel wrote:I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it currently works if I copy the fusion clip on the edit timeline. Any changes I make to the copied clip don't affect the original.

I see where the confusion lies. You are talking about the fusion tree/composite you apply to a fusion clip. I am talking about the actual fusion clip - the media and layers within a clip. You'll see what I mean if you:

a) Make a fusion clip with 2 layers nested inside it.

b) Copy it on the timeline.

c) Then open the original (in it's timeline), and add another layer.

You'll see the copy has the same changes. It treats the clip the same as media, referencing it from the media pool. I need to make a new, independent copy of the Fusion Clip (so another appears in the media pool), so I can change the layers/clips contained within it.

Andy Mees

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 5:12 am

If you need entirely new / independent copies I think you might get there by duplicating (copy and paste) your Fusion Clip(s) directly in the Media Pool rather than in the timeline.

Hope it helps

Levi3d

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Andy Mees wrote:If you need entirely new / independent copies I think you might get there by duplicating (copy and paste) your Fusion Clip(s) directly in the Media Pool rather than in the timeline.

Hope it helps

Unfortunately, it doesn't copy and paste in the media pool - which is the crux of the problem I'm having!

Indigo Rebel

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Are you quite sure it's not working for you when copying and pasting the clips on the timeline?

This was definitely the result I got last time I attempted this. I remember because its exactly what I didn't want to happen! lol
Hardware
Software
www.indigorebel.com

Andy Mees

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Levi3d wrote:Unfortunately, it doesn't copy and paste in the media pool - which is the crux of the problem I'm having!

What version are you using Lee? Copying and pasting Fusion clips in the Media Pool works for me without issue on Resolve 15.1.0.025 (running on OS X, MacBook Pro laptop).

Levi3d

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
Levi3d wrote:Unfortunately, it doesn't copy and paste in the media pool - which is the crux of the problem I'm having!

What version are you using Lee? Copying and pasting Fusion clips in the Media Pool works for me without issue on Resolve 15.1.0.025 (running on OS X, MacBook Pro laptop).

Same version! But can't copy/paste clips in media pool (with either keyboard shortcuts or menu copy/paste)

Running on an older Mac Pro (late 2013)

Very confusing...

Levi3d

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Indigo Rebel wrote:Are you quite sure it's not working for you when copying and pasting the clips on the timeline?

This was definitely the result I got last time I attempted this. I remember because its exactly what I didn't want to happen! lol

Very sure. It makes an instance of the Fusion clip, so if you go in and change the media within the copy, the media changes in the original. There remains only 1 version of the clip in the media pool. It does not create a new one.

Andy Mees

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Levi3d wrote:
Andy Mees wrote:

Same version! But can't copy/paste clips in media pool (with either keyboard shortcuts or menu copy/paste)

Running on an older Mac Pro (late 2013)

Very confusing...

That is odd. Heres a quick screen recording of me copying and pasting without issue... normally i'd just use Cmd-C and Cmd-V but in this clip I used the Edit menu so you could see me do it!

antonyjames99

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 am

Copy + paste of the fusion clip (from the timeline) should work directly on the timeline. It will be a different instance that you can edit independently. You have had to be doing something wrong.

Noukita

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 1:57 pm

Hello, I face the same problem (I am quite a beginner with Fusion and with animation at all).

Oout of two objects in my time line (one being on the top of the other one), I created a Fusion clip. I would like to have a few copies from it, in oder that when I change something in those copies, it should not have any effect on the original Fusion Clip.

I tried as suggested to drag the original Fusion Clip from the media pool onto my time line, copy it and paste it somewhere else from there into the time line.

But when I modify something on the copy, this affects the original clip. When I right-click on the copied clip, it shows me the original clip in the media pool, so it is obvious this copy is not independant.
As this procedure seems to be working for example for antonjames99, I probably do something wrong, but what? :?

So, the question is: what should I precisely do to get an independent copy of a Fusion Clip?

I thank you in advance for your help and hints!
Noukita
Da Vinci Resolve 18.1.2 Build 6
Imac 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
OS Catalina, 10.15.7
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8 GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve