First EXperience with Auto Shut Off Over heating in my BMCC.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

CptZero

First EXperience with Auto Shut Off Over heating in my BMCC.

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm

we had a wedding coverage yesterday april 13, and i experienced my first complete shut down of my BMCC. i almost panicked but then i have an event also not too long ago that our 5d mk3 experienced the same and we found out that the camera overheat and it has an automatic shut off mechanism to protect the camera from further damage.

i just let the blackmagic camera cool down and after an 30minutes or more i guess, it turns on again. damn!

One question for the BMD, can you confirm if BMCC does have this auto shut off mechanism in your BMCC? or i was experiencing something different because i cant afford to have a broken unreliable camera especially during event videography, where we point and shoot and run and gun thing.
Last edited by CptZero on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: First EXperience with Auto Shut Off Over heating in my B

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Interesting. What environment was the camera operating in?

Will be helpful to know: Was the camera in a cool air-conditioned room, or in direct hot sunlight, or out in the snow, or in a warm room, or what?

sean mclennan

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Yeah, I'd like to know the environment as well...

If its not in a hot or humid environment, I would find it odd that it would overheat.

Could you hear the fan running? If the fan wasn't running, that could be an issue...

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:26 pm

I've never seen the camera shutdown because of overheating.

This behaviour doesn't sound normal. I know that they have tested the camera in some pretty extreme conditions.

Your camera shutdown, but are you sure it's because of overheating ? I've seen a camera where the fan stopped working. It was so hot that you almost couldn't touch the metal body, but the camera was in fact, still working.

I'd suggest this could be something else ?

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

CptZero

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Interesting. What environment was the camera operating in?

Will be helpful to know: Was the camera in a cool air-conditioned room, or in direct hot sunlight, or out in the snow, or in a warm room, or what?

it was on the room with more or less 60f degress. i live in new york. the camera just really shutdown. i thought it was a battery thing. i connect the charger and nothing happens.

also it was my first to use the ikan canon battery adapter. i dont know if that was the reason.

CptZero

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 pm

John Brawley wrote:I've never seen the camera shutdown because of overheating.

This behaviour doesn't sound normal. I know that they have tested the camera in some pretty extreme conditions.

Your camera shutdown, but are you sure it's because of overheating ? I've seen a camera where the fan stopped working. It was so hot that you almost couldn't touch the metal body, but the camera was in fact, still working.

I'd suggest this could be something else ?

jb

sorry for the assumption that it was overheating. i thought that it has the same mechanism with canon where it auto shut down when it is continously used.

as i remember it clearly. i shoot the bride getting her make up then it suddenly shut down. no power whatsover. also i notice that when i plug the ikan canon battery adapter, the battery icon seems to be jumping (not literally jumping but the icon seems flickering).

thats why i am more cautious now in shooting. i usually turn off the camera everytime i am not using it. just to cool it off

sean mclennan

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Are you sure your battery didn't just run out? If there was a lose connection with your ikan battery, you could have been running the internal battery until it died...then while trying to trouble shoot you might have "wiggled" the right cable from your setup?

Sounds to me like it's a power issue...

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 1:57 am

CptZero wrote:sorry for the assumption that it was overheating. i thought that it has the same mechanism with canon where it auto shut down when it is continously used.

as i remember it clearly. i shoot the bride getting her make up then it suddenly shut down. no power whatsover. also i notice that when i plug the ikan canon battery adapter, the battery icon seems to be jumping (not literally jumping but the icon seems flickering).

thats why i am more cautious now in shooting. i usually turn off the camera everytime i am not using it. just to cool it off

Based on the information you've provided, it appears your Ikan external power solution (or Canon battery) isn't working properly. Contact Ikan.

Fulgencio Martínez

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Fulgencio wrote:Don´t worry!
Keep calm!
This is the Blackmagic official forum.. so in a few hours one technical engineer from the company will tell us about it...
It is called the BLACKMAGIC CARE PLAN
It happens to people when they report dropped frames, black sun, or even sudden death of their cameras...hehehe
This company is a joke!!!

So why are you here?

because they promise me a camera for december.. and they have my money
do i need any better reason???

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Fulgencio wrote:because they promise me a camera for december.. and they have my money
do i need any better reason???

Did they say which year Christmas?? :lol:

BTW Blackmagic does not have your money. Your Dealer has it. Once BMD delivers the camera to your dealer. Then they get the bill to pay for the camera.

They might have let you pay at order time as they don't want to be left with a BMCC that will not be paid for... (not that that will happen anywhere soon.... But just in case..)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Frank Glencairn

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 pm

I remember a tread somewhere, that the Ikan solution doesn't have enough umph to properly charge the internal battery. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Found it:

I have the Ikan DV battery adapter for Sony L series batteries. When it's plugged in the charging icon on the BMCC blinks on and off. Is anyone else experiencing this?

dcloud, what's your experience with your Sony L series batteries and the Ikan adapter? Does the charge symbol show up solid for you?....

I sent an e-mail to Ikan support. They said they haven't had a camera long enough to work everything out, but that they believe it's fine based on hearing from other customers that the charging symbol blinks. Hopefully it's alright. To be honest, it makes me a little nervous.

Answer BY Sam Ikan: That is normal operation. DV batteries (7.4v) are getting up-converted to 12v, therefore it drains from both batteries at the same time the camera sees it as small fluctuating charge/drain. When used with pro batteries (usually around 14V) it provides a surplus and therefore it actually charges the BMCC internal battery.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Felix Steinhardt

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:45 pm

My hawkwoods Sony L adapter charges the BMCC without blinking. Problem is, it drains the Sony battery completely, like when you insert the battery in another Sony camera it doesn´t turn on. I think that´s pretty bad for a Li-Ion battery to be completely drained.

Joseph Ciccarella

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 pm

I feel like the only good Ikan solution is the Sony BPU version, as it actually uses a 14.4v battery. Which is what the camera needs. I'm not a big fan of up converting from a 7.4v. It just seems like you lose a lot of juice that way.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

CptZero

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:20 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Are you sure your battery didn't just run out? If there was a lose connection with your ikan battery, you could have been running the internal battery until it died...then while trying to trouble shoot you might have "wiggled" the right cable from your setup?

Sounds to me like it's a power issue...

the battery run out but i plug it in for 20minutes or more something then nothing happens then after 15
minutes or more i tried to turn it on again then i was happy it turn on.
Last edited by CptZero on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CptZero

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:24 pm

CptZero wrote:sorry for the assumption that it was overheating. i thought that it has the same mechanism with canon where it auto shut down when it is continously used.

Based on the information you've provided, it appears your Ikan external power solution (or Canon battery) isn't working properly. Contact Ikan.

nope i plug the charger after it went out and i tried to turn it on nothing happens up to 20 minutes or something. wanted to call blackmagic support but they only have office during weekdays. so i just left it again plug in for 30minutes or more because i have to go back and take more videos using my backup 5dmk3 camera.

then i went back and i turn it on after 30minutes or more and was really relieve that it turn on. from that i was really cautious not to shoot without turning my power off and on

CptZero

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:31 pm

the question is this?

if i run out of power, does the camera wont turn on until it is charged into a powered capable status? like an iphone, if it died out, it would take like 10minutes before you can turn it on?

moreover, can BMD please make a led light somewhere as a battery charger indicator!

second, does this BMCC has a auto shutoff mechanism if by chance it overheat as a protection to the camera. i use to overclock and customized super computers and they have this auto shut off mechanism that when the processor hinted a overheating temp it will aut shut to protect itself from further damage.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 7:02 pm

CptZero wrote:the question is this?

if i run out of power, does the camera wont turn on until it is charged into a powered capable status? like an iphone, if it died out, it would take like 10minutes before you can turn it on?

moreover, can BMD please make a led light somewhere as a battery charger indicator!

second, does this BMCC has a auto shutoff mechanism if by chance it overheat as a protection to the camera. i use to overclock and customized super computers and they have this auto shut off mechanism that when the processor hinted a overheating temp it will aut shut to protect itself from further damage.

The BMCC might already have an overheat shut-off protective feature for all we know.

Your BMCC may be working as intended.

Your 3rd party external power solution may need repair or replacement, assuming your issue isn't caused by user error.

Frank Glencairn

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Whats wrong with industry standard V-Mount bricks?

And why are so many people preferring half assed, sub par solutions instead?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Jason Hinkle

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Whats wrong with industry standard V-Mount bricks?

Because $19 generic Canon batteries on eBay are just as good as $299 pro v-mount batteries. Hey, just ask the bride and groom if they could say "I Do" one more time because your batteries crapped out on you. What's the big deal!?

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Penny wise, pound foolish?

Especially given that the Lanparte solution is actually not even all that expensive, given that it's a 150 watt-hour brick.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:33 am

They want to stick with what's familiar... namely... 5D batteries even if they're not powerful enough. Definitely the wrong way to go about it.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

CptZero

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm

yeap i get the point, i was wanting to buy the swiftronix pb70 but the size and the weight of the thing was what discourage me lol.

coz i am using my BMCC on a steddiepod glider and as the BMCC is already heavy, dont want to put any more weights on it. but if it proves that the ikan solution was the problem, i would be hard pressed to use the pb70.

on the other side, when the camera was on again, it didnt shut off again. but i am still using the ikan solution. thanks goodness

CptZero

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Tamerlin wrote:

Penny wise, pound foolish?

Especially given that the Lanparte solution is actually not even all that expensive, given that it's a 150 watt-hour brick.

can you elaborate the battery solution you have?

CptZero

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:11 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:

They want to stick with what's familiar... namely... 5D batteries even if they're not powerful enough. Definitely the wrong way to go about it.

thanks, now definitely trying other solution and is my second choice pb70 swiftronix the best one?

Please any BMD rep here who can confirm that the BMCC has a auto shut off for its processor overheating protection system?

sean mclennan

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Here you go...for those looking for a smaller/lighter solution using small batteries...

http://www.switronix.com/products?page= ... gory_id=51

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 4:10 pm

CptZero wrote:can you elaborate the battery solution you have?

Sure!

It's a Lanparte v-mount plate, and when I was ordering that from coollcd.com, I noticed that if you order a Lanparte v-mount battery with it, you get the battery at a discount. As a result the total cost was right around $400 + shipping. It's a 150 watt-hour v-mount brick. The plate is a v-mount plate with 5-volt, 7-volt, 12-volt, and even a 14-volt tap, plus a USB charger and a powered HDMI splitter.

It comes on a 15mm rail mount and a set of adapter cables, but you'll have to add one to fit the BMCC; the ones that come with the plate have 1mm connectors that don't fit the 2mm port on the BMCC. (I tried it with my loaner.) I contacted the DVEStore and asked about that, I think they'll have a power adapter waiting for me when my camera comes in.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Bill Rich

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm very happy with my Switronix Powerbase-70 Battery Pack! that sucker lasted forever! If I want to hand-hold the camera I can simply power it off it's internal battery!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Vince Gaffney

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 5:57 pm

+1

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi,

I can confirm that there is no auto shutoff in the camera.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

Hi Kristian: That's an interesting & somewhat unexpected response. Are you able to share a few details about what happens when a BMCC is operated in a "too warm" environment? At some point it'll "overheat", won't it? At that point does the camera simply die a miserable death w/o powering itself off in self-protection, or what?

I don't see a recommended safe operating environment temperature range listed for the camera in the BMCC tech specs & docs. Is this information available from BMD?

-

sean mclennan

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm

That's interesting....I've never noticed that. Most electronics of this type all use the same range. 0-40 C I would suspect the BMCC would be the same.

CptZero

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi Kristian: That's an interesting & somewhat unexpected response. Are you able to share a few details about what happens when a BMCC is operated in a "too warm" environment? At some point it'll "overheat", won't it? At that point does the camera simply die a miserable death w/o powering itself off in self-protection, or what?

I don't see a recommended safe operating environment temperature range listed for the camera in the BMCC tech specs & docs. Is this information available from BMD?

-

wow really?

is that a fact? i mean if bmcc is using a top caliber processor i am sure it has an auto shut off mechanism for overheating.

now Kristian, how am i supposed to deal with this? am i going to send you my BMCC without a concrete diagnosis if my experience would happen again?

also, i hope firmware update would include this very important feature of auto shut off. i mean even canon employs the auto shut off mechanism for their cameras.

also can you confirm Kristian if i used all up my internal battery, does i have to wait like 30minutes for it to power on?

thanks hope to hear from you guys again.

nonlinearedits

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 pm

This is strange, my camera is turning on by itself and BMD is saying its user error (the camera isnt even in my hands when its turning on). I expressed concern that it would turn on in my pelican foam case and overheat. The service rep at BMD said he can assure me that all their products have automatic shut offs to kill power if the components get too hot.

Message was Sent from my Outdated iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 pm

CptZero wrote:

-

wow really?

is that a fact? i mean if bmcc is using a top caliber processor i am sure it has an auto shut off mechanism for overheating.

now Kristian, how am i supposed to deal with this? am i going to send you my BMCC without a concrete diagnosis if my experience would happen again?

also, i hope firmware update would include this very important feature of auto shut off. i mean even canon employs the auto shut off mechanism for their cameras.

also can you confirm Kristian if i used all up my internal battery, does i have to wait like 30minutes for it to power on?

thanks hope to hear from you guys again.

I drained my battery the other day, and after I got a little bit of juice in it (maybe a minute or two) it would power up just fine.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

John Brawley

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 am

It seems that this is a power related issue.

The camera didn't "auto-shut off." It seems like it ran out of battery, because the power supply / battery wasn't giving it enough current. Because it's an underpowered charge, perhaps it took 30 miins to wake the camera up again. Or perhaps it was less than that but you took 30 mins to check because you were shooting the wedding ?

I've seen this happen before with lower voltage batteries. I also accidentally once used a power supply for another device that was lower current. It cause the same flashing charging indicator message on my camera as well.

I think the specs say 0-40 DegC for this camera, but I know they've tested it well beyond that. I've had it had hotter than that and I know others have also gone well below 0.

The camera has an ACTIVE cooling system that isn't just the fan.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

CptZero

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 3:59 pm

John Brawley wrote:It seems that this is a power related issue.

The camera didn't "auto-shut off." It seems like it ran out of battery, because the power supply / battery wasn't giving it enough current. Because it's an underpowered charge, perhaps it took 30 miins to wake the camera up again. Or perhaps it was less than that but you took 30 mins to check because you were shooting the wedding ?

I've seen this happen before with lower voltage batteries. I also accidentally once used a power supply for another device that was lower current. It cause the same flashing charging indicator message on my camera as well.

I think the specs say 0-40 DegC for this camera, but I know they've tested it well beyond that. I've had it had hotter than that and I know others have also gone well below 0.

jb

thanks john for helping me out. hopefully its a power problem and i hope it would not happen again because ill be using another option.

can you see if this would be a better solution?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... ttery.html

+

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... r_for.html

+

12v barrel connector to 2.5mm barrel connector to plug in the BMCC.

if there are someone who tried this please let me know.

Questions:
1. does the battery in the belt heats up during long hours operation?
2. does this not overpower the BMCC?
3. BMCC has own power regulator?

thanks for any info.

i was planning to belt it and run the wire thru my hand and make a connector lug to my BMCC and connect it to my hand clip connection whenever i got the chance to have it within my hands. question. does the camera internal battery is charge also while it is plug or it is not charging but only using the power of the attach bescor battery?

Benton Collins

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 4:25 pm

nonlinearedits wrote:This is strange, my camera is turning on by itself and BMD is saying its user error (the camera isnt even in my hands when its turning on). I expressed concern that it would turn on in my pelican foam case and overheat. The service rep at BMD said he can assure me that all their products have automatic shut offs to kill power if the components get too hot.

Message was Sent from my Outdated iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a poltergiest issue, this is a Blackmagic camera after all! :D Seriously, does this only happen in the pelican case? If it does, maybe there is too much pressure from the foam pressing on the on /off button?

sean mclennan

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 4:34 pm

John Brawley wrote:It seems that this is a power related issue.

jb

Well, come next December, I'll be using mine for a few shots outdoors in -40...so it will be tested for cold performance ;)

I suspect the batteries will give up before the camera does

sean

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Well, come next December, I'll be using mine for a few shots outdoors in -40...so it will be tested for cold performance ;)

I suspect the batteries will give up before the camera does

sean

That is colder likely than the non-operating temperature or storage temperature that is safe for most modern electronics. How long will you be exposing the camera to that temperature or will you be keeping the camera and any batteries warm before and during use?

Don't damage your camera or we shall need to report you to the SPCC - the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Cameras.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

sean mclennan

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 pm

My Canon 1D has a similar rating and I've used it in -40 a few times. No longer than 30 minutes...Can't stay out any longer than that myself!

What I should have said is that the human running the camera will fail first ;)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Well, come next December, I'll be using mine for a few shots outdoors in -40...so it will be tested for cold performance ;)

I suspect the batteries will give up before the camera does. -- sean

I've posted this link before, but it's a good one:
http://www.tomguilmette.com/archives/3873

See also the threads on BMCuser.com titled "Taking the Camera Cold...Real Cold. My experience.", and also "Got almost avalanched, but kept the camera roling".

So, I think it's well-established the BMCC handles cold very well, but I'm also curious to learn more about its warm-environment behavior. Summer is coming to this hemisphere ...

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 pm

The sensor is actively cooled not just by the fan alone. However, we can look into an auto shutoff when it gets too hot. Thanks for the feedback.

nonlinearedits

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 am

Benton wrote:Might be a poltergiest issue, this is a Blackmagic camera after all! :D Seriously, does this only happen in the pelican case? If it does, maybe there is too much pressure from the foam pressing on the on /off button?

Haha, I thought about it. The camera I sent back would do it when it was just sitting on my desk and I was no where near it. If you tapped the side of the camera, it would turn on, if the camera was flipped over quickly it would turn on, certain loud noises made near the first BMCC I had would turn it on. I think there was just something seriously wrong with the first unit. I'm scared to put the new one in the case now.

Dustin Uy

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 am

i got myself the ikan battery adapter.
the product works. practical it is not. charging takes alot longer than the usage. the bp version could be a better option but i dont know.

i moved to vmount switronix.

Filmfish

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Stop using the Ikan canon adapter. I personally use this one and have spent many days shooting with no issues. the best part is it will also power your accessories, and with the internal battery of the BMCC it works like a hot swap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fotga-DP500-BP- ... 3a7cfdacbd

I highly recommend making a Ptap (for those who don't know its the 2 hole flat pug on the side of the battery plate) BMCC cable. It is a 2.5mm DC plug for the side of the BMCC. that leaves you another 12v, 7.2v and 5v plug for your accessories.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
power copy.jpg
power copy.jpg (157.33 KiB) Viewed 22178 times

Steve Jakubowski

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 pm

nonlinearedits wrote:Haha, I thought about it. The camera I sent back would do it when it was just sitting on my desk and I was no where near it. If you tapped the side of the camera, it would turn on, if the camera was flipped over quickly it would turn on, certain loud noises made near the first BMCC I had would turn it on. I think there was just something seriously wrong with the first unit. I'm scared to put the new one in the case now.

This happened to me just yesterday. Stopped along the road to shoot some footage, put the cam back in the case and when i arrived at my destination and removed the camera from the bag it was powered on and very hot. I may have accidentaly pressed the on button while handling it as it's in a soft case but I can't be sure.

I'm considering letting the internal battery just power down to zero before transporting and just using external power source.

Filmfish

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Steve Jakubowski wrote:
nonlinearedits wrote:Haha, I thought about it. The camera I sent back would do it when it was just sitting on my desk and I was no where near it. If you tapped the side of the camera, it would turn on, if the camera was flipped over quickly it would turn on, certain loud noises made near the first BMCC I had would turn it on. I think there was just something seriously wrong with the first unit. I'm scared to put the new one in the case now.

This happened to me just yesterday. Stopped along the road to shoot some footage, put the cam back in the case and when i arrived at my destination and removed the camera from the bag it was powered on and very hot. I may have accidentaly pressed the on button while handling it as it's in a soft case but I can't be sure.

I'm considering letting the internal battery just power down to zero before transporting and just using external power source.

Th way the camera works is if you use an external power source it will charge the internal battery as it is being used. Lets just hope that BM adds to a future firmware that you have to hold the power button for a second to power up or down.

Return to Cinematography