Live Portable Flypack

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bryan_DTV

Live Portable Flypack

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Hello all,
I built a cart for productions about five years ago using the black magic Atem switcher.
https://portabletvstudio.wordpress.com

What I'm wondering now is, with Blackmagic coming out with the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD, I'm thinking the flypack itself can be much smaller. Has anyone done this yet and where can I follow your progress? Perhaps you have pictures to share to help give me some ideas. The trick will be getting a case that will house the multi view in a compact way (perhaps a flip up lid situation). Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Regards
Bryan

Xtreemtec

Re: Live Portable Flypack

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Compact enough??? :D
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Bryan_DTV

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I was looking for someone that had first hand experiences that would outline the process of putting something like this together. This looks like a fun photo shoot, but I want to know where the case is from. How are the cameras integrated? Is that headset even plugged into anything? How did you mount the console to the case? What kinds of productions is a case like this useful and where would it not work.

Has anyone done something like this where they can outline their experiences? I'm thinking of building something like this on my own, but I'm in the research phase.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 7:10 pm

This case in the photo is a photoshop.. And you might want to add a recorder / streamer..
But there is a company that will make one if you want..

You dont want to add cameras in the same case but rather in loose cases.. So you can pack what you need for the job..

You can buy it here..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 7:30 pm

I still laugh every time I see that photo. If you closed the lid the ATEM and monitor would both be crushed. But as I like to say, NEVER let the FACTS get in the way of a good story. :D

I also chuckle every time I see someone think that a switcher and one monitor is all that you need to pull off a show. Maybe it's because I work real network shows, or maybe it's just because I like a big stack of tech toys, but even a small show for me ends up being 10-15 cases of gear. Typical shows are more like 40-50. My network shows are literally several 53ft semi trailers of gear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for downsizing when I can. No matter how small I go usually at least a third of my gear (Ok half) is cables/systems that connect everything together. Cameras, lights, audio, comms, recording, distribution, transmission- IMO a show needs all of these things
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Scott Smith

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:22 pm

The way the importance of social media has risen, combined with the love of trends and lack of technical expertise of people making decisions........the new compact production streaming flypack is this:

Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Howard Roll

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:This case in the photo is a photoshop.. And you might want to add a recorder / streamer..
But there is a company that will make one if you want..

You dont want to add cameras in the same case but rather in loose cases.. So you can pack what you need for the job..

You can buy it here..

There's a difference between clever and smart. While this design is clever, theres no insulation or shock mounting of any kind. That thing is going to "fly" a couple times before it gets set down too hard and that's it. Really it's just a glorified monitor clamshell that may save you the time and effort of plugging in 2 cables. Thing gives me carpal tunnel just looking at it.

Bryan_DTV

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks to all for your replies.
I think the "glorified clamshell" is on the right track. You do need a good size monitor to have the multi view and having it in the flip up top seems a good idea. As for the iPad and iPhone comments, you're not going to get the quality of production and most importantly the reliability by going this way. The main components that I would like to be able to have on a portable production would be:

Integrating multiple cameras into a switcher (obviously)
Having a way to bring in Graphics
Integrated intercom for all users
options for integrating audio into the production (microphones and event feeds)
And having a way to sent the feed to Live streaming and recording.

So, how small can all of this get and how does it fit into one flypack?

Cory Mack

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 4:15 am

So, it's not a flypack (because I built it in a microwave-sized 6RU case - yes, I know I mounted 7RUs of components) but this is how I have my mobile rig set up.

I don't personally use a built-in style monitor, though - for my purposes, a 32" TV works for what I'm doing.

There's also some things going on in the back that could technically take the place of what's going on in front to get things smaller - I could probably get down to 4-5RUs if I cut out redundancy. But I LIKE redundancy and, as I said, the thing's about the size of a microwave. I don't think there would be a lot gained from forcing it any smaller.

I'm not saying that this is perfect for anyone else, but I like it a lot, and you DID ask for ideas.

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm with you Cory, an in-case monitor just isn't big enough for serious work. To each their own tho... We use a pair of 40" with our 2M/E systems, and a few 17"'s and DUO's as well.

Where I come from it's still a flypack...we define flypack as system able to ship via air or freight, one piece or many makes no difference. Some of my cases are closer to refrigerator than microwave :-)

Brian, there was a post today on the FB BlackMagic ATEM users page by Bryan Henry, he has a cute little shallow 4RU rack that fits in a pelican with a Proton controller. Very nice and small have a look. No audio or recording in his setup tho. You could add audio/recording to a case, monitors to a case, cameras to a case and still have a fairly easily moved system.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Kevin McGrath

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Here is my portable fly pack
What I did with the monitors was use the rack cover to mount them
It saves a lot of space
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 4:53 pm

Stumbled on this one today while searching something else..
http://www.fountaincarts.com/online-store/Studio-HD-Case-p81729744

SethBB

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 6:30 pm

I just speced this and we’re building it with a 1M/E 4k, 3 CCUs and misc:
Hmm, new member here, the board software isn’t liking my url!
Go to mobilestudios.com and search for PRTCST-CLSC-SBK to see what we bought. Or, just click on the link for Portacast System Builder cases.

It weighs 200 lbs. empty... so, for around the campus or transport by van/truck, preferably with a ramp or liftgate. They also offer one a little smaller, and another quite a bit bigger.

IsseSwe

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:25 am

Hi all. I have the issue of finding a case that is very custom and as we speak amptown-cases in Germany is working on a design to fit ATEM products. Personally I need a case for the television console, resolve mini and camera control so that are working on a design for one of thos in each with room for 1 peice of smartview and smartscope duo each.

I will share whit you what we made. Also I found these that are interesting

Similar to my expected design (the small one)
atem smal.png
atem smal.png (80.75 KiB) Viewed 13495 times

and a big one for those who need it
atem large.png
atem large.png (95.58 KiB) Viewed 13495 times
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:34 pm

I work with a company that has something like the atem large photo. it weighs over 400 lbs loaded, and is so big we have to take the lids off to get it through any doorways. sorry, while one case seems nice unless it stays in one place I just don't see it as practical. also, I prefer much larger monitors that what you can get in the lid.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 7:19 pm

1 case is terrible. Been there done that. Every venue we had to Push it up the ramp to the stage as we were Side stage.

We needed About 6 people to push it up the stage. Now i have it all in 1 rack 14 he high. And Some loose cases with monitors and stuff. Takes About 30
Minutes to build. But much easier to transport.

Also in your design i don’t see a sliding desk. (2nd case). Without this you have nowhere to put your knees and legs.
So you Will always sit wrong behind the set witha lot of back issues.

IsseSwe

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks for great input Mambafiber and Xtreemtec.

Always really good to hear others good and bad on things like this, didnt think of the weight at all.
For me I ordered small cases, not often I need all the gear so small flightcase will be good i think, all recorders and such are in a CPA flightcase 10HE high already, and yeah that one is heavy enough by now :-P

Xtreemtec, my design is longer(deeper) then the small case shown above, it's based on that design but is not that exactly, amptown is sending me ideas and I'll pitch them about the sliding desk! Maybe they thought of it but if not maybe they will see the benefit :-) Thanks!
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Here's some more food for thought...we just finished upgrading this system. Still bigger than the switcher only case pictured above, but this is a complete fly pack with switcher, routing, recording, audio mixing and comms. Each piece is easily rolled by one person and weighs less than 200 lbs. We find that 2 people can tip these into the back of a van if needed. Don't like going any bigger than these, it's just too hard to move around. It also combines gear you need in CR or stage area into useful packages that make setup a breeze. More info on our FB page if you are interested.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Kevin McGrath

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 1:27 am

PNG image.png
PNG image.png (663.44 KiB) Viewed 12833 times
I have been constantly changing my set up since I got it
I get a new piece of equipment and the whole rack changes
The biggest change is when I added a 40x40 router
Once that got installed that will never move
Ended up building around it

So I built around changes and upgrades and make things faster and easier
I have a 20RU
The front and back covers are used to hold 24 inch monitors. Use all the space you have to optimize set up time The biggest thing was being to fit in my Dodge Journey
The attachment PNG image.png is no longer available

The attachment PNG image.png is no longer available

PNG image.png
PNG image.png (663.44 KiB) Viewed 12833 times
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

rallymatt

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 3:00 pm

My main rack. The TVS Pro 4k rides in a separate case. Complete for 8 cams on fiber.
Attachments
IMG_0416.jpeg
IMG_0416.jpeg (699.52 KiB) Viewed 12794 times

dpictMEDIA

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Looks cool Matt - Only suggestion for any of these setups is that heat is the number one killer of Blackmagic gear. Especially anything a little older... you cant have enough fans or airflow. A super tight pack of gear seems advantageous and sexy but getting to wires and airflow will save the show at some point. Number two killer of Blackmagic gear is spilled coffee. Find me when you are in GR I'll buy the coffee and we will keep it away from our gear.
Aric Mackey

IsseSwe

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 9:35 am

I've solved that with a half HE distance between all gear and these https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-CLOU ... B00ZQPDB7I :-)

Brett Casadonte

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 12:45 pm

rallymatt wrote:My main rack. The TVS Pro 4k rides in a separate case. Complete for 8 cams on fiber.

If this is the SKB case where the inside frame comes out, these are really nice for BM gear because the rack sides are open allowing for great air flow around the gear. I have a number of these cases where the rack frame pulls out, but SKB stopped making the metal frame, open side racks for these cases last year... they now ship with plastic, close-side pull out racks... bummer.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

IsseSwe

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 1:18 pm

I made a case with amptown and once final it looks like this (I'm prepping it as we speak :-))

The case works for ATEM TVSHD/TVSP4K as well as Resolve mini panel and ATEM CCU panel
Attachments
IMG_20190319_140412_8.jpg
IMG_20190319_140412_8.jpg (736.65 KiB) Viewed 11986 times
IMG_20190319_140352_5.jpg
IMG_20190319_140352_5.jpg (701.82 KiB) Viewed 11986 times
IMG_20190319_140515_4.jpg
IMG_20190319_140515_4.jpg (871.81 KiB) Viewed 11986 times

Return to Live Production