New Fairlight Course Manual available

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marc Wielage

New Fairlight Course Manual available

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 7:27 am

I wanted to alert those of you trying to learn and understand Fairlight that Mary Plummer has written Introduction to Fairlight Audio Post with DaVinci Resolve 15, which is now available on Amazon U.S.:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09993 ... UTF8&psc=1

I expect it will be available worldwide very soon (if it isn't already). The book is 442 pages, extensively illustrated, and is priced at about $55. I believe it comes with links to download example files so you can try it along with reading the manual.

I think this will go a long way towards making Resolve Fairlight a serious contender for audio post-production.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Steve Alexander

Re: New Fairlight Course Manual available

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks for posting this, Marc.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Brad Hurley

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 11:51 am

I've been waiting for this! But I'll wait a bit longer to see if they release a Kindle version (I never buy hard copies of software manuals since they go out of date so quickly). The paperback is available now in the Canadian Amazon store for $74.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Seth Goldin

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Have been waiting a long while for something like this. Thanks for posting, Marc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Brad Hurley

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 pm

FYI, the Kindle version of this guide is now available, for a tiny fraction of the price of the book (in Canada it's $4.00). It looks like BMD is coming out with a series of these guides, including one on advanced editing in Resolve and one on advanced color correction in Resolve. I also have the overview "definitive guide" and it's excellent. I look forward to getting the others when they are released.

dirk-pel

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 9:44 pm

I bought it by Amazon-Germany, 2,51€, download for Kindle App on MacBook Air

Dirk PEL
Davinci Resolve 18.6 Studio, Micropanel, Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32 GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Monterey12.4, EIZO CS2420,Philips 27e1n8900 OLED, BM Decklink Mini Monitor 4K on a TH3P4 board for Mac. iPhone 14 Pro

Brad Hurley

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 10:10 pm

It's kind of amazing how low they have priced these Kindle versions; the "definitive guide" to Resolve is about $7 Canadian. There are some formatting issues but they're pretty minor compared with other software manuals I've seen in ebook format, and these books are excellent. The Fairlight book is an eye-opener in terms of explaining workflows and revealing features I didn't know about, and has been updated for version 15.2 (it even tells you how to duplicate a timeline, which has changed with v. 15.2).

Jim Simon

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 11:13 pm

Thank you Marc!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mikedkelly

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Wow! $2.99 US for the Kindle version. Really looking forward to digging in. Can't wait to get my hands on the Fusion book when it comes out.

-----------------------
Resolve Studio 18.5 Beta 3
CPU: Intel i9-13950HX
RAM: 32GB
GPU: RTX 4090 16GB
Driver: Nvidia Studio 531.61

Brad Hurley

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

mikedkelly wrote:Wow! $2.99 US for the Kindle version. Really looking forward to digging in. Can't wait to get my hands on the Fusion book when it comes out.

Yeah, the price is unreal! The book was clearly not edited, though, there are lots of typos and punctuation errors. Not sure if that's true for the hard copy as well as the Kindle version. But the content is excellent and Mary walks you through very detailed workflows, explaining everything clearly.

Steve Alexander

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:05 pm

I found that with the downloadable material (Windows 10) that I could not unzip the pt2 portion (4.2 GB zip) with the standard Windows 'Extract...' context menu and had to install a 3rd party 7-zip tool to do it. Windows was complaining that the zip was corrupt.

Otherwise, the sample footage and audio for the course material is excellent and should really help with the overall training.

There is also mention of a similar series for the Fusion page in Resolve 15 but I was unable to find that one yet... perhaps a work in progress?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

mikedkelly

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I found that with the downloadable material (Windows 10) that I could not unzip the pt2 portion (4.2 GB zip) with the standard Windows 'Extract...' context menu and had to install a 3rd party 7-zip tool to do it. Windows was complaining that the zip was corrupt.

I don't think the native Windows 10 unzip utility can handle files over 2GB in size. I've had that issue with other files as well.

-----------------------

Brad Hurley

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:There is also mention of a similar series for the Fusion page in Resolve 15 but I was unable to find that one yet... perhaps a work in progress?

The Fusion guide and the Advanced Color Grading guide are not yet available (at least not yet in Canada where I lived; I checked Amazon earlier today). They've been working on them for awhile as they were announced months ago but not yet available. Should be worth the wait. ;-)

Steve Alexander

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:The Fusion guide and the Advanced Color Grading guide are not yet available (at least not yet in Canada where I lived; I checked Amazon earlier today). They've been working on them for awhile as they were announced months ago but not yet available. Should be worth the wait. ;-)

I would say so. The Fairlight guide looks quite good. I like the way they position the tutorials as real-world use-cases.

Cheers
Time Traveller

Trensharo

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:It's kind of amazing how low they have priced these Kindle versions; the "definitive guide" to Resolve is about $7 Canadian. There are some formatting issues but they're pretty minor compared with other software manuals I've seen in ebook format, and these books are excellent. The Fairlight book is an eye-opener in terms of explaining workflows and revealing features I didn't know about, and has been updated for version 15.2 (it even tells you how to duplicate a timeline, which has changed with v. 15.2).
The formatting issues are rampant and not minor. The Kindle eBook is awful to look at. I have both the Resolve 14 and 15 versions.

This seems common with Kindle eBooks. They all seem automatically generated from documents, and no one ever edits them for consistency.

- Random paragraphs of Tiny or Huge Font Size
- Awfully placed Photos
- Captions detached from what they describe
- Bad Spacing on almost every page
- Punctuation, etc.

I'd definitely prefer a PDF version. The Kindle version is so poorly done. I'm not spending a cent more until I know they've addressed this.

I feel like these people are writing their books in Microsoft Word, and just auto-converting from DOCX to MOBI. Scrivener has been a thing for how long? WordPerfect does this better and exports to ePub natively. There's no excuse for this.

Also, why not on the Apple Books store, for those users?

As far as "Definitive Guide to DaVinci Resolve," it's incredibly basic and not a very entertaining tutorial. The choice of sample material probably plays a part there. I'm not really interested in glass blowing, etc.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Last edited by Trensharo on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trensharo

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 8:40 pm

mikedkelly wrote:
Steve Alexander wrote:I found that with the downloadable material (Windows 10) that I could not unzip the pt2 portion (4.2 GB zip) with the standard Windows 'Extract...' context menu and had to install a 3rd party 7-zip tool to do it. Windows was complaining that the zip was corrupt.

I don't think the native Windows 10 unzip utility can handle files over 2GB in size. I've had that issue with other files as well.
Windows Extract works with the ~4GB archive from the Resolve book (on multiple PCs), so this is incorrect. Probably a corruption issue, if its erring out. 7-Zip may power through it, but you'll find out when you have to use the bad file(s).

Best to just redownload it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Brad Hurley

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Trensharo wrote:The formatting issues are rampant and not minor. The Kindle eBook is awful to look at. I have both the Resolve 14 and 15 versions.

This seems common with Kindle eBooks.

Might be why they are pricing them so low. I find them usable and readable, despite the problems with the photos and captions, but I've had such bad experiences with eBooks (both Kindle and Apple iBooks, mind you) that I'm just used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. I have Apple iBooks that are far worse than this. I wouldn't want a PDF version.

The larger issue for me is the typos and punctuation errors, which make it clear that either they didn't hire an editor or it was such a rush job that the editor couldn't read it.

I actually like the "Definitive Guide" and think it provides an excellent overview (but I come from a family of glassblowers so maybe that has something to do with it!). The Fairlight manual is terrific despite the typos and formatting problems.

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 9:08 pm

The “setting the computer output monitoring levels” section of the book critically confuses several important concepts, applying them in non-standard ways.

The typos and formatting issues are much less concerning.

Steve Alexander

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 am

Redownloaded the 4 GB archive multiple times and could not extract it on any Windows 10 machine running 1803. Very odd. What version of Windows 10 are you running?
Time Traveller

Moethi

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 8:57 am

Same with me. Downloaded the file more than a dozen times on three different PCs and different Windows versions, never could extract it. Always got the message "file is corrupt" (original in german: "Der ZIP-komprimierte Ordner ... ist ungültig!"). Anyone got a solution?

Solution is to extract with 7-zip. All files are okay then and work well.
Mainboard ASUS Prime X370 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 1700 X Eight-Core @ 3,77 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10

Mary Plummer

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 pm

A bit of good news for the Windows users...

Based on the feedback here, we've created a new version of the pt2.zip file for the book media. This version was compressed on a Windows machine using 7-zip and unpacks on Windows, Linux and Mac. The new version should be up and running ASAP if you follow the link for pt2 in the book.

Cheers, Mary

Johannes Hoffmann

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm looking forward to go through this book. Is there any chance to get a pdf or epub version or am I limited to kindle if I want a non print edition?

Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

mikedkelly

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 12:42 am

Can't speak to typos, but the formatting is due to the Kindle app allowing you to view the book in whatever font size and margin width you choose. It then re-flows the content based on those settings. I tend to set it to display in a single column and adjust the window width until it looks decent. It's been great with both books to have the notes panel open beside the book to save highlights and create a cheat sheet.

-----------------------

Elimelech

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 9:28 am

I am not succeeding in creating the necessary database used in the Fairlight book.
When opening the Sound FX folder it appears to be empty, consequently the resultant soundfx database only contains a project place.
How to transfer the contents of the "R15 audio post lessons" contents into this database?
If I copy the contents into the Sound FX folder the creation of a new database stops with the announcement that it needs the folder to be empty.

Resolve Studio 15.2.1.005
Windows 10 64 bit

Mary Plummer

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Based on your post - it looks like you are trying to use the sound fx database (comprised of an empty folder - as it needs to be) with the R15 Audio Post lessons folder. If you go back to the Getting Started section of the book - you'll see two separate things that need to happen. First you download the 3 different .zip files and then move their unzipped contents into a new folder that you create called R15 audio post lessons.
After that, you create a new - empty - database for indexing sound effects that will be used during lesson 1. All new databases require an empty folder when you create them. The folder is then used internally by DaVinci Resolve to store the database.

At the beginning of Lesson 1, the instructions should guide you through the process of Restoring the first lesson which is a .dra (DaVinci Resolve archived project containing the timelines and media). You do the same thing for Lesson 2 with a different project.

During lesson 1, you will be instructed to select the sound fx database that you created for the purpose of indexing the sound effects sampler folder that is included with the book media.

Hopefully this helps and you're able to get up and running with the book lessons.

Cheers,
Mary

Elimelech

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Thank you. I managed to get this to work shortly after sending my last message!

Return to DaVinci Resolve