Playout CG and video's solution with a ATEM and X-keys

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mick35

Playout CG and video's solution with a ATEM and X-keys

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 pm

Hello everyone,

We are producing weblectures and webinars, interviews etc in our (small) studio in the Netherlands. We have a Atem 1m/e with two camera’s. In the studio we mainly use chromakeying and with two camera positions that can be challenging. So now I’ve a constructing with Justmacros who is automating the switch with the backgrounds. For the switching we bought a X-keys panel (80) and this is all working. (off course because it is simple)

Now we want it to make a upgrade with some fancier titling and animated graphics. And a simple way to start a video etc. Now I’m looking to some different software solutions.

The first is CasparCG. I must say a very nice piece of open source software. But also not user friendly, to be honest. And animating in flash is some outdated.

The second is Mimolive. Not bad, especially the possibility to control the Atem from the mimo software. But I’ve had a couple of freezes during the tests. That’s is making me nervous when we are going to do a live broadcast. Also there are some standard animated titles and if you want more you have to buy it. Making some custom titling is possible, but then the options in the software is limited. Also you can’t mark a in or outpoint in a video.

The third is Vmix. Very nice software and never freezed or something. It’s a little overdone because I don’t want to use Vmix as a mixer but more like a CG.

The fourth is Wirecast. Similliar with Vmix but sometimes a little bit less intuitive. Also read that it’s not always reliable and give some issues.

So I’ve tested some solutions but are still not convinced what to choose . I’ve a little preference for Vmix because until now it never failed. I’m very curious what you are using for this purpose. And maybe got some advice to look to another solution. I’ve a budget from around 2500,- a 3000,- for hard and software.

Some things that are important.

- It have to work with the X-keys panel (maybe in combi with justmacros) Because of the static virtual studio idea what I’ve created with justm.
- Not to complicated, so more people can work with it
- We prefer mac but it is also not a problem to buy a windows machine.
- We’re having a separate closet where al the noise making stuff are standing. In the studio we don’t have a wall with glass or something. So it can be in the studio but then it shouldn’t make noise like the airplane Atem.
- We can create our custom titles but then it should be done in Motion or afterFX. Learning new software is not a problem, but because of time issues it doesn’t must have a deep learningcurve.

I hope to hear some advice from you all. Thanks in advanced!

Mickael

Thomas Seewald

Re: Playout CG and video's solution with a ATEM and X-keys

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 7:40 pm

To CasparCG: Flash may be outdated, but works fine. You also can work with HTML instead of Flash. This may be more modern....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Mick35

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 9:49 am

Thomas, thanks for your reply! I gonna take a look to html5 options

Are there other experiences with other products then casparCG?

Phil Hadfield

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Have a look at Mitti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Hadfield

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Also for automation have a look at bitfocus.io compainion

https://bitfocus.io/companion/

It’s free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogersuski

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 11:55 pm

NewBlueFx is an option for Mac-based workflows too.

Return to Live Production