BM Video Assist not seeing my SD card

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mr Trotty

BM Video Assist not seeing my SD card

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi
First post, so be gentle with me.
My Blackmagic Video Assist is not seeing my SD card - Sandisk Extreme PRO 256Gb XC 1, 95MB/s, class 10.
Formatted to Ex FAT in my Mac, still not recognised in the Blackmagic Video Assist. Formatted in my Canon 5d3 - still not recognised in the Blackmagic Video Assist. Updated to latest software (2.5.3) and still not recognised in the Blackmagic Video Assist. Under the 'card' heading, it simply says 'no card' and I'm unable to format in the device.

Any thoughts?

I wondered if the card wasn't fast enough, but I've used other cards that are slightly less quick without issue.
Perhaps there is a Gb limit?

Thanks in advance
Graham

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: BM Video Assist not seeing my SD card

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Not sure if you looked at the list here but we'd suggest confirming it's one of these models.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

sabaugh

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 2:16 am

Tony Rivera wrote:Not sure if you looked at the list here but we'd suggest confirming it's one of these models.

I'm having the same problem with the 128GB version of this card in a 5" Video Assist. Happened with 2 cards from Amazon and another from B&H, both model SDSDXXG, newly purchased.

Would you mind sharing a link to where we can purchase the SanDisk SDSDXP model recommended in the support FAQ you linked? I'm having trouble finding them online. Thanks!

shaunbrickell

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 am

I have the exact same issue. Brand new Video Assist 4k does not see SD Cards. I have 2 of the recommended cards types, 95mb and 300mb SanDisk UHS-I and UHS-II and neither read.
I have downgraded to 2.5.2, no change. Upgraded back to 2.5.3 and still the same.
Any other advice welcome.
Thanks
Shaun
Constellation 8k, 2M/E Adv Panel, URSA Broadcast, ATEM 4k PRO, ATEM TVS HD, Atem Mini, Pro & ISO, Hyperdeck Studio, UltraStudio 4k

Brad Hurley

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 am

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80355

The same problem plaguing these cards for the Black Magic Pocket Cinema and Micro Cinema/Micro Studio cameras also affect the Video Assist.

Basically you need an older generation of these SanDisk cards; the newest ones don't work. The older ones are getting hard to find. We're hoping BMD issues a firmware update or SanDisk figures out a solution because there really aren't many other choices available for SD cards, especially high-capacity ones.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 am

Official statement of BMD on Sandisk cards: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mr Trotty

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Thank you all for the helpful replies - it would appear that I've bought a card that is not compatible.
Ah well, Amazon returns next......

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 3:25 am

Please also contact Sandisk's customer support and tell them that you are using this with Blackmagic Design equipment.

Return to Getting Started