Interfacing 2-Wire RTS with Broadcast Fiber Converters

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

090 Media

Interfacing 2-Wire RTS with Broadcast Fiber Converters

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 3:40 am

Hi.

So we're building a little studio for a customer of ours and they've decided to go with Blackmagic URSA Broadcast cameras with Fiber Converters. I'm aware that there's a DB-25 connector on the back of each fiber converter which breaks out tally and intercom, but I'm confused as to how I interface that with our basic 2-wire RTS intercom system, as there are three cameras and three converters.

It looks like the intercom interface is 4-wire, so I would assume that I need a 2-wire/4-wire interface (something like an RTS SSA-324?) to begin with. At that point, do I just need to connect that interface to one of the converters and ATEM magic will take care of the rest or do I need to somehow interface all three of those DB25 connectors with the RTS interface?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mark

Chris Bjork

Re: Interfacing 2-Wire RTS with Broadcast Fiber Converters

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 1:33 pm

I also would like some instruction on hooking up a BMD Ursa Broadcast & Studio Fiber Converter to a ClearCom intercom system. Where can I get instructions from BMD on how I need to go about doing this? I've read that there are some pretty MAJOR problems with feedback, has BMD done anything about this?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Dude really?? do not post the same message in 7 different topics.. :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 5:04 pm

the 4W ports from cameras are meant to connect to separate ports on a 4W intercom matrix. Then another 4W matrix port would get converted to 2W to feed your belt pack system. The intercom matrix will handle the mixing of everything into a proper party line. Any other "shortcut" method to accomplish this would not be something I'd be happy with in my systems...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

090 Media

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Three months with no replies and all of a sudden it's a party!

For the record, we gave up and went with a completely separate 2W comms system... and we've stopped recommending Blackmagic Broadcast cameras to our customers due to this pitiful integration support.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 10:09 pm

090 Media wrote:For the record, we gave up and went with a completely separate 2W comms system... and we've stopped recommending Blackmagic Broadcast cameras to our customers due to this pitiful integration support.

The same here.. I have about 11 customers all waiting for a proper implementation, and Sidetone adjustment.

Some of them still bought the system and are forced to use a 2W system or GreenGo ethernet intercom beside the BMD setup..
Others are completely holding off purchase because of this issue which renders it useless as a Broadcast system As it is no system at all if you still have to run external intercom due too poor implementation. :roll:

All in all combined these 7 companies that wanted to buy Ursa chains including fiber backs etc..
We are talking numbers combined
34x Ursa Broadcast cameras __________ 34x $3.495 = $118.830
29x Fiber systems _____________29x $2995 + $2995 = $173.710
8x Atem Camera Control panels ___________8x $2995 = $23.960
That is a whopping total off: $316.500 dollars off "lost" revenue because they hold off in spending there money on this system.
And i don't count the viewfinders, Atem mixers and Glue that i don't have the numbers for right now..

And that is only the Companies i know are holding off the investment due too the issues that the BMD Broadcast system has at this point of time.
I do know if i could have orders like that. And there will be a lot more companies holding off i guess..
That is quite a lot of money not spend..

I would really clear up some hours in the software development department to fix these issues fast to serve the current customers and a lot of customers that are holding off now..
Because if this takes too long to fix.. Companies will buy different gear. And the BMD Broadcast will be titled as "The broadcast system that wasn't reliable enough for broadcast"

I hope people don't loose there trust in the BMD system as i still like and support the system..
My OBV is build around the Atem 4ME Broadcast and Ursa Broadcast cameras.. But if people loose trust in the BMD system.. Even this will be harder to rent out as clients will not trust anymore and demanding Sony or GrassValley again..

I have talked to several people within BMD about these issues and they do understand the issues..
We only can hope there is a Firmware fix around the corner.. :roll:
Keeping faith in BMD and hope for the best.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Kevin McGrath

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 pm

I agree totally with no support from Blackmagic
All other broadcasting supplies have a little thing called timecode
BDM does not support a timecode
Everyone else works with timecode for sync and post production
It is big drop of the ball on Blackmagic
The customers are asking for basic things that should be included to help develop the product line
If they would just listen to the people who use the product to make it better and eventually they would have more sales

I got mad when they stopped supporting the old tvs Why buy a product that has no support in 3 years
People only have so much money to spend on new equipment.
So why should I stay loyal to a brand that leaves me out to dry
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Matt Certa

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Hell lets keep talking about the dysfunctioanl Com everywhere we can until we get a fix.

The fiber system BM released is essentially still in Beta, along with the RCP panel. Half the buttons and features aren't available yet. 10 months later, hardly any mention aside from when we quiz them at a trade show. Not even a list of what they are trying to improve or fix. Which might make me wonder if the hardware is even capable of doing Com correctly.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:41 am

Kevin McGrath wrote:I agree totally with no support from Blackmagic
All other broadcasting supplies have a little thing called timecode
BDM does not support a timecode
Everyone else works with timecode for sync and post production

Atem 1me,2me,4me do support timecode, The Ursa cameras do support timecode, And since the latest update for the ursa, The ursa pro 4K now support Timecode in by SDI. So it will sync to Atem Timecode.
I hope this wil trickle down to all Ursa cameras in a future update as it is a must have for broadcast. This way we do not need to offer 4 Aux lines for ISO recording anymore if all the cameras run the same timecode. :)

Kevin McGrath wrote:I got mad when they stopped supporting the old tvs Why buy a product that has no support in 3 years
For your information.. The Atem TVS is 1 of the First Atems ever produced by BMD and has been on the market for 7 years and supported for 9. Being the cheapest Atem mixer the hardware is just not up to the task anymore to follow the newest updates and functions.. ;)

Kevin McGrath

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:00 am

The hyperdeck mini does not have timecode which I am using for iso records
Time code has been around since the early 1970’s
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 10:19 am

Kevin McGrath wrote:The hyperdeck mini does not have timecode which I am using for iso records
Time code has been around since the early 1970’s
Then you should have bought the Hyperdeck Studio. ;) Or route it trough the Atem aux bus, and set the Atem to Timecode, Or have an Ursa as source and timecode the Ursa and then by videohub to a Hyperdeck mini.

The mini is build for Cheap small recordings.. So a few options are left out on the hardware to keep it cheap and affordable.!! 90% of the users that have an Atem and recorder do not use Timecode.

It those 10% of advanced users that want to have timecode because they do multicam ISO and need to sync or other reasons. For those 10% there is still the Hyperdeck Studio or add a external Audio to sdi converter to insert timecode.

Return to Live Production