URSA Broadcast iris problems

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
JGMoyers

URSA Broadcast iris problems

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello all,

I have 4 Blackmagic URSA broadcast cameras and 4 Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 ENG Lenses that I am using with the cameras. The whole rig is am ATEM 1ME 4K switcher with the control panel, the 4 cameras, a 40x40 router and the camera control panel. All in all the system works great, tally works, I can paint the cameras, I have black level control, etc. but I do not have iris control from the camera. I can see the iris f stop on the camera, and I can see the f stop change as I manually move the iris ring on the lens, but the camera does not control the iris.

I called BM tech support before purchasing the lenses and was told that this lens would work fine. Also, on page 9 of the camera manual it lists that Fujinon lenses series XA ending with RM will work well with the cameras. Now when I call with a problem they say "sorry" and that they do not guarantee which lenses work with their cameras. Incredibly disappointing to me.

I have seen people post that they have used this lens with the URSA mini and it works, so am I just missing something? Has anyone had this experience? Why have the CCU if you can't control iris?

Thanks....

Jeremy

Knut Bussian

Re: URSA Broadcast iris problems

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 6:22 am

Just a silly question: did you check the „Auto-Manual“ switch on the handgrip of the lense? It must be set to“Auto“ for controlling the lense.

Knut

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 am

Also, the on the Broadcast camera, the Iris pull down menu should be able to control the Iris via the slider, make sure the Auto Exposure button to the right of the slider is Off, for CCU control to work. Sounds like either the lens is set to manual iris, or the camera auto iris/exposure button is on.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Knut Bussian

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 am

Also, the camera must be set to Auto Iris on the Iris pull down menu, for CCU control to work. Sounds like either the lens or camera are set to manual iris.

If you are referring to the „Auto-Exposure“ function which can be set next to the iris slider in the menu, then you are wrong. This does not need to be turned on if you want to control the iris manually. Only the switch on the handgrip needs to be set to „Auto“. The „Auto-Exposure“ in the menu actually tries to set the iris automatically. Which works sort of.

Tobias Dieterich

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 9:50 am

I don't know the XA lensens very well, but I think serial control should work on these. We use some XA20 (the cheap ones for around 3k or 4k) on the URSA broadcast without changing anything.

You can check this thread for problem solving on the HA series.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77193&p=445752&hilit=fujinon#p445708

Edit: Are you using the hardware control panel? Then check the coarse and fine control knobs. If you set the iris to Auto on the handgrip of the lense, does the motor engage and set some iris value?
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Xtreemtec

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 am

What firmware does your Broadcast run? We sure you run the latest FW. As there was a Iris fix in the latest FW available for the Broadcast. ( By head FW5.1.x )
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Knut Bussian wrote:
Also, the camera must be set to Auto Iris on the Iris pull down menu, for CCU control to work. Sounds like either the lens or camera are set to manual iris.

If you are referring to the “Auto-Exposure“ function which can be set next to the iris slider in the menu, then you are wrong. This does not need to be turned on if you want to control the iris manually. Only the switch on the handgrip needs to be set to „Auto“. The „Auto-Exposure“ in the menu actually tries to set the iris automatically. Which works sort of.

Thanks you are correct, for remote or camera manual control of the iris via the selector wheel, Auto Expsoure setting (next to the slider) needs to be Off. My bad, on not stating that correctly. If you can control the lens Iris via the slider, than you should have CCU control of the Iris, if you have the ATEM CCU setup correctly.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Pgbone

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 5:03 am

I have the following issues with fujinon studio box lenses:

(1) 55x iris fully works, but zoom is sllooowwww with both digit and analog servos.

(1) 26x iris functions, only to f11. It controls up and down but stops at 11. I have reset the lens parameters, switched to serial control, and verified the iris motor is unobstructed. When I turn off the Cubans put on direct power, same outcome.

Any thoughts?

Dolomitifilm

URSA Broadcast - Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM - iris problems - SOL

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 6:13 am

Hi, I have a Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 ENG Lens that use with BM URSA BROADCAST and ATEM 1.
The problem is that XA20 is a digital lens, to remote control it is necessary set the lens in A (Auto).
When the lens is in Auto (switch A/M on the lens):
- remote control iris on Atem (or Control Panel) will work ;)
- adjust iris aperture on the BM Ursa Broadcast touch screen will work
- manual rig iris aperture on the lens, will NOT work
- and remote adjust zoom (from W to Tele) will work ;)

Note that in old Fujinon lens, like SD lens, selector A/M on lens, must be set on M (manual) to remote control with ATEM 1.

Best regards, Nicola

JGMoyers wrote:Hello all,

I have 4 Blackmagic URSA broadcast cameras and 4 Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 ENG Lenses that I am using with the cameras. The whole rig is am ATEM 1ME 4K switcher with the control panel, the 4 cameras, a 40x40 router and the camera control panel. All in all the system works great, tally works, I can paint the cameras, I have black level control, etc. but I do not have iris control from the camera. I can see the iris f stop on the camera, and I can see the f stop change as I manually move the iris ring on the lens, but the camera does not control the iris.

I called BM tech support before purchasing the lenses and was told that this lens would work fine. Also, on page 9 of the camera manual it lists that Fujinon lenses series XA ending with RM will work well with the cameras. Now when I call with a problem they say "sorry" and that they do not guarantee which lenses work with their cameras. Incredibly disappointing to me.

I have seen people post that they have used this lens with the URSA mini and it works, so am I just missing something? Has anyone had this experience? Why have the CCU if you can't control iris?

Thanks....

Jeremy

Return to Live Production