Mini Converter HDMI-SDI 6G compatibility problems with Sony

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jeremie A.

Mini Converter HDMI-SDI 6G compatibility problems with Sony

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Hello,

I bought a BMD Mini converter HDMI to SDI 6G to get the HDMI 4K video stream from my SONY UMC-S3CA camera to my SDI screen.
( https://pro.sony/en_CL/products/4k-vide ... s/umc-s3ca )
I can't manage to get this setup working.
I tried every element on its own, and everything seems to properly work (the screen, the camera, the Mini Converter). But the setup : Sony camera UMC-S3CA -> BMD Mini converter -> SDI screen isn't able to display a frame.

To push the test further, I also bought the BMD DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K and noted the input isn't detected only with this setup : Sony camera UMC-S3CA -> BMD Mini converter -> DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K. (Every other HDMI source is working just fine, and the camera HDMI directly on the Mini Recoder is also working as intended).

I guess then there is some sort of incompatibility between this Sony camera and the BMD converter I can't explain, because the technical specifications of the products are supposed to match.

Is there any known issues for this particular setup ?
What solution can I consider to make it work ?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,

Jeremie.

Xtreemtec

Re: Mini Converter HDMI-SDI 6G compatibility problems with S

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 am

Might be an issue with EDID information between the Camera and Converter not allowing the converter to go in 4K mode.

- Have you put the converter in UHD mode? Dipswitch 1 ON Dipswitch 2 OFF
- Do you run the latest Firmware?
- Have u used a 4K version HDMI cable. (Yes there are differences between HDMI cables.. Get at least a HDMI 2.0 cable to support 4K.)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jeremie A.

Re: Mini Converter HDMI-SDI 6G compatibility problems with S

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi, thanks for your answer Daniel,
- I tried to force the converter in UHD mode, and got the same result as in AUTO.
I tried to emit in 1080p from my camera, and wasn't able to convert anything either (I have some images appearing sometimes in 1080p, but it is noisy and for a very short time) while forcing HD or UHD. HDMI output is detected by the MiniRecorder, and at the correct framerate, while it's not detected at all on its SDI port while going through the Mini Converter.
(This setup is working with any other HDMI source, 4K or not, than I tried)
- I checked the firmware and installed the software BM Converters 7.3.2 and I was already updated to the latest firmware.
- I have the same results with a standard HDMI cable and a 'High speed HDMI' cable. Since I'm trying to stream in UHD at less than 30 frames by second I believe it should be sufficient ?

If it appears that there is indeed an issue with EDID information between these two, I suppose there is no setting I can tweak to make it work ?

Thanks again,

Jeremie.

Return to Getting Started