Recording from the ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

midlandsartscentre

Recording from the ATEM

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi I have a question - its my first!! We are using an ATEM video switcher - Television Studio HD and this is out putting to Wirecast which is then being streamed to You Tube. The video we are mixing will contain a picture in picture for a BSL interpreter and then we have several video camers that we will be switching between but the static cam on the BSL will always be on screen when we are live.

The wirecast will stream and record. Is there away to remove the BSL picture in picture stream from a final recording or switch on a feature in the ATEM that will allow us to strip that stream from the final recorded video??

As I understand you can have 2-4 (maybe more - I don't know) video streams in one MP4 file and they can be stripped a little like ffmpeg can strip the audio stream out if required?

The reason I ask is that the BSL is happy doing the live stream event but is concerned about the accuracy / inaccuracy -which would be acceptable in a live event - remaining in the video as an archive on you tube?

Any help appreciated - thanks and hello everyone.

Stephen
PS asking on behalf of where I work which is Midlands Arts Centre.

MCSAStudio

Re: Recording from the ATEM

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 am

If I understand correctly your input into wirecast is from the PGM of the ATEM. Usually this is a mixdown version of your final feed you are sending out.

Perhaps there are probably three ways in doing this.

1. If you have two capture cards in your computer you can use the AUX port on the ATEM to send a specific camera or feed to one of the capture cards. The second card's input will contain your PGM feed which is your PIP. In wirecast, you can set up two shots with one being card 1 and the other card 2. Here you can do an ISO or general recording of a clean feed for a specific shot. (thus the one without the PIP).

2. Alternatively, if you have another recorder such as the Hyperdeck Mini or Hyperdeck Studio, you can use the AUX output from the ATEM to send your camera feed without PIP to the recorder.

3. With two capture cards, similar setup as number 1, but set your PIP up in wirecast and not on the ATEM.

We use four BMD 4K2 cameras and each camera pass through their own Hyperdeck Studio Pro before entering the ATEM. Thus we have a clean recording of each camera, regardless if it was live or not. We also send an AUX feed to a fifth Hyperdeck Studio Pro to record the final programme. However, the final programme will not include lower thirds or any graphics generated in Wirecast. We have chosen not to record the wirecast final output as we require a clean final mix for post production. From previous experiences, wirecast gave us some issues when recording directly from the software.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Martin

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 10:27 am

Simply put program on ur aux out and run it as a clean feed.
Clean feed will remove any DSK's USK's PIP's created in the Atem, showing only main cuts.
Program out is the source for the online streamer (includes PIP DSK's USK's etc.)
Clean feed (AUX out) goes to ur recorder. ( Records main cuts without PIP DSK's USK's)

midlandsartscentre

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks both. There is a solution then.

Stephen

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 4:20 pm

To be clear, the Clean Feeds for all ATEMs do not exclude Upstream Keyers. Clean Feed 1 is ahead of DSK 1 and 2. Clean Feed 2 is after DSK 1 and ahead of DSK 2.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

midlandsartscentre

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks

Return to Live Production