No video Blackmagic HDMI to SDI 6G UHD Mini Converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
Strike

No video Blackmagic HDMI to SDI 6G UHD Mini Converter

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice here. I'm trying to use the Blackmagic HDMI to SDI 6G UHD mini converter to convert the HDMI output of a cable box to SDI in order to input it into a 4K capable security camera DVR I'm using as a 16-way multiviewer. I have the dip switches set to autodetect and the output of the cable box is set to 1080p60 but I'm seeing nothing on the DVR. Does anyone have any recommendations for troubleshooting or an off the cuff idea of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: No video Blackmagic HDMI to SDI 6G UHD Mini Converter

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 6:18 am

The Mini Converter won't work with any HDMI video signals that have any kind of HDCP copy protection enabled on them.

So if the HDMI signal coming out of the cable box has HDCP applied (which seems possible), it's probably not going to work, because there is no equivalent HDCP support for SDI signals. The Mini Converter would have to strip off the HDCP copy protection to convert the video signal, which isn't allowed by the spec.

Andrew Martin

Re: No video Blackmagic HDMI to SDI 6G UHD Mini Converter

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 11:25 am

Couple of ways to get around this.

Split the signal at source feed one signal into a regular TV,
and the 2nd feed into the hdmi-sdi conv.
Seeing the TV should satisfy HDCP requirements.
If you don't want another TV on site, use a hdmi dummy plug.

Use a splitter that will strip out HDCP requirements, and take a single feed to the conv.
but understand this would take you outside recommended guides lines / regulation.

Return to Live Production