Samsung T5 on BPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

wndctter

Samsung T5 on BPCC4K

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi.

I am running into an issue with the Samsung T5 connected via USB to the BPCC4K and wanted to check if anyone is seeing something similar.

Basically when I power on the camera the T5 doesn't always show up, and powering the camera off/on or replugging the T5 does not help. When it happens I have had to plug the T5 in to my MacBookPro where it shows up before I can use it on the camera again.

BPCC4K firmware is up to date.

Thx

rpwooste

Re: Samsung T5 on BPCC4K

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Something to check would be your USB-C cables, and whether the sockets are clean.

My Samsung S8 phone, with a USB-C socket had become unreliable. I went through buying more and more expensive USB-C cables just to charge it, but ultimately took it in for repair. They only had to blow the dust out of the socket and everything was perfect. If you're lucky a new cable or an air-compressor might fix the problem (note that I couldn't actually see the dust in the socket so it doesn't take all that much.

Roland.

Dune00z

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 3:48 pm

This is a known issue where the connectivity of the drive doesn't mount correctly most of the time when turning on the camera. Here is a work around:

1) Put SD card in slot
2) Turn on camera
3) plug in USB-C cable

The drive should mount when you do it this way. You will have to unplug the drive before turning on the camera every time and repeat steps 2 and 3. If it does not, the issue will be different than what I am familiar with. I have noticed so many people blaming the cables and I do not agree with this. I have tried many different cables and they all do the same thing, even expensive fast cables. If you do the steps above, the drive will likely mount correctly regardless of what cable you've got.

GeorgB

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:01 pm

In my own testing it's exactly like that - turn it off, plug out the SSD, turn it on, plug it in and it will work 100% of the time. This is a software issue and BM are working on it for the next update.

Lowell Sherris

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:27 pm

This could be a faulty cable. My SSD works perfectly regardless of whether the camera is turned on or off when connected.

Que Thompson

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:37 pm

I have a T5 500gb and haven't had any problems yet. Shows up every time.

Dune00z

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:50 pm

I also have the T5 500gb drive and I have 5 different cables of varying quality and speeds and each does the exact same thing. Sometimes it mounts on boot, most times it doesn't, regardless of the cable used. If the cable was the problem, then why would the steps I have given mount the drive every time regardless of what cable I used, but not when I just turn on the camera?

If it were a hardware problem, then why would it mount properly and consistently when I connect after the camera is turned on, but not when it is plugged in prior to boot? This is consistently the case across forums and social media so if one individual's 500gb t5 is mounting without any issues whatsoever then that would be quite strange.

Regardless, from what I can tell, all of this points to a software problem and from what I understand BMD is looking into a software fix.

wndctter

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:52 am

Thank you all for the replies.

I came across two reviews on youtube over the last few days where the same problem was encountered. So as a number of you mention this is a known issue. I'll try some of the suggestions and see what happens.

Hopefully this can be resolved via a firmware update at some point.

wndctter

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:54 am

And for reference, all my gear is new and cables work fine when I connect to my MBP.

Return to Cinematography