Use Camera RAW Project Settings & Keep Original ISO/WB?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Aaron Hinton

Use Camera RAW Project Settings & Keep Original ISO/WB?

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 1:24 am

Hello,

I am grading a film shot on RED. It was shot in Redgamma4, and I want to override that in my camera raw project settings and instead use IPP2/WideGamutRGB/Log3G10. No big deal, in theory. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a camera raw project setting that both overrides the gamma settings and preserves the original ISO and white balance settings of each shot! Is this not a feature in Resolve?? Am I missing something? It seems like such a no-brainer feature, but I'm not finding it. I thought it would have been the "use camera metadata" checkboxes, but those don't actually do anything! Whether they're checked or unchecked, the project settings still override the camera metadata. Tried to look this up in the manual as well, but I'm not finding what I need.

Basically, I just want to keep the DP's original settings except for the color space / gamma curve settings. But the only way I'm seeing I can do that is if I switch to IPP2/WideGamutRGB/Log3G10 on an individual clip basis. And that would take forever! Any project settings that I change in the camera raw section make it so the ISO and white balance are all the same for every clip, and that's not what I want.

Is there any way to batch-change the color space / gamma settings of all the clips in my timeline whilst also preserving the original ISO and white balance?

Thanks

Christian Lessner

Re: Use Camera RAW Project Settings & Keep Original ISO/WB?

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 12:52 pm

In Project Settings -> Camera RAW, select RED and set "Decode using: Project". Then, at the bottom of the page, check those boxes:

Resolve Studio 18.1.3 | Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
Intel i9-10980XE | RTX 3090 (528.49 SD) | 64 GB RAM | Mini Monitor 4K (12.4.2) | Mini Panel

Aaron Hinton

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 9:05 pm

See, that's what I thought! But when those boxes are checked, nothing changes. The camera metadata for each of those is still overwritten, even if those boxes are checked! Thanks for your reply. Whether the boxes are checked or unchecked, every clip is switched to ISO 320 and 5600K. Is this a bug in the software? I thought for sure that's what those checkboxes were for too, but they literally do nothing!

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 5:39 am

Aaron Hinton wrote:It was shot in Redgamma4, and I want to override that in my camera raw project settings and instead use IPP2/WideGamutRGB/Log3G10. No big deal, in theory. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a camera raw project setting that both overrides the gamma settings and preserves the original ISO and white balance settings of each shot!

Are your shot-by-shot Camera Raw settings set to "Project" or are they set to "Clip"? I did a Red Raw project a couple of months ago in Resolve 15 and we did do it all in PP2 / WideGamut / Log3G10 but kept the DP's original color temp, exposure, and ISO settings. I had no problems, and occasionally went in and changed the settings for certain shots that needed a little help.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

trvrclifford

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 pm

Davinci Resolve Studio 16.1.2

I'm still having this same issue here in 2021 - the boxes for "Use Camera Metadata" in CAMERA RAW Project Settings DO NOT listen to you when you're attempting have universal Project settings @ the clip level w/ the original camera metadata for ISO / Color Temp dialed in

Return to DaVinci Resolve