ATEM Television Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

airpanos

ATEM Television Studio

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 2:03 pm

I need some help with the following questions... because I need a low cost solution for handling and live broadcating an event.
I have 6 hdmi cameras and I want to broadcast with live streaming an event , handling all these from
one laptop.
Probably I need the Television Studio solution and 2 hdmi to sdi converters because it has only 4 hdmi inputs.
But i need to know if i can record/save my 6 different inputs from the cameras while capturing the event
at my disk. Does anyone know if i can do this?
Also I want someone to tell me if i can broadcast my inputs in 6 different livesteam channels.What products I have to use? Is there any low cost solution?

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me...

Thomas Seewald

Re: ATEM Television Studio

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 2:27 pm

The ATEM can't do the job. It only can record the output to the by USB connected PC.

Sorry, but I can't belive to an solution, which can record 6 SDI/HDMI-streams to one laptop. Maybe to a Dektop- or / Tower-PC with a corresponding number of input cards / inputs. Take a look on the german site http://www.suh-edv.de/ for multi capture. But you have to share the signal from one soure to two destinations - ATEM und recording PC (Maybe the HDMI to SDI Converter can do this, for HDMI there are some adapters). I fear, you need more than one harddisk for Recording...
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

airpanos

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Thank you my friend.
I 'll check this site.

Mike Squires

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Two other options are:

1. Hit record on each camera (you didn't mention what type of cameras you were using)

2. The more expensive route, purchase six Hyperdeck Shuttles, one for each camera.

airpanos

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 am

I have a solution at my mind, which is ...
6 cameras hdmi
1 Atem television studio
6 intensity
6 hdmi spliters
I will have also 6 notebooks which will work for other purposes but
it can be also for saving the video for each camera connected with the
intensity through usb
And with the splitter i can send the video from the camera to the studio for live
streaming

What do you thing?

Mike Squires

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:24 pm

You don't need the splitters, as long as you have a way to delay the audio, as the Intensity Shuttles have HDMI passthrough.

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 am

BMDs Hyperdecks also have loop / pass trough ....

Dylan Reeve

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:57 am

The immediately obvious option seems to be record on the cameras themselves? Unless you've got highend studio cameras (which aren't HDMI so unlikely) they will be able to record onboard.

airpanos

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 10:06 am

Yes indeed there is an option to record directly to the camera. But i have first to ensure that i wiil have access through usb to the recorded file

airpanos

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Does anybody knows if there is a way to check the television studio software for some features before i buy the hardware?

I want to know 2 things about television studio
1. can i change the output panel layout on request?
2. If I show a lower third for sports , can i use an external source to show some data live?

Thomas Seewald

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I think, TVS' multiviewer is meant. No, it con not be changed (see threat Arrange Multi-view Display TVS)

2. If I show a lower third for sports , can i use an external source to show some data live?

What is external ? You can use the two media player to playback graphics from media pool (At TVS 20 still pictures).

You can use up to 5 devices conrolling the TVS. So a graphics operator can prepare the graphics on an additional computer, including upload to the TVS and set to one media player.

When you want to insert graphics form onother (video-)source, cou can connet it to an normal input und insert them via chromakey.

There is an powerful macro system, so you can automate some things. (e.g. the setup settings for the chromakey, combined with the cut to the source)

http://www.vis-ranger.com/ATEM/
It is discussed in http://www.atemuser.com/forums/atem-vis ... tem-macros

airpanos

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 am

Thank you for the answer about the scripts and i will follow your suggestion.
Last edited by airpanos on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DavidSimmons

Re: ATEM Television Studio and BMCC

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm

I have been anxiously the BMCC and planing for multiple cameras with ATEM Television Studio and SmartView monitors. From what I am reading the BMCC will not work the ATEM products. One of the main reasons I was looking the BMCC other than image quality was integration to other BMD products. Can someone please tell me what the plan is for the BMCC and ATEM products. Will there be a fix to get them to work with each other. I see this as a must for any small production company, corporate media department, schools and or churches.

Please BMD, give us some insight. I am in a holding pattern until I can see BMD's direction.

Liam Kennedy

Re: ATEM Television Studio and BMCC

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 4:33 pm

DavidSimmons wrote:I have been anxiously the BMCC and planing for multiple cameras with ATEM Television Studio and SmartView monitors. From what I am reading the BMCC will not work the ATEM products. One of the main reasons I was looking the BMCC other than image quality was integration to other BMD products. Can someone please tell me what the plan is for the BMCC and ATEM products. Will there be a fix to get them to work with each other. I see this as a must for any small production company, corporate media department, schools and or churches.

Please BMD, give us some insight. I am in a holding pattern until I can see BMD's direction.

David. Your question would likely get lost here - as the topic has nothing to do with the Cinema Camera.

And... this has been discussed quite a lot here as well (search for Cinema Camera). Here is one post FROM black magic with some response to your question. http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=444&p=2469&hilit=cinema+camera#p2469
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

airpanos

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 5:33 pm

About the TVS panels i want to know about the abillity to have multi view while i make the production... if I can show at the viewers multi panel picture (like the one i am watching during production)

Can I have per example 4 different panels at the screen which my viewers watching? Everything has to do with taekwondo matches. I have 4 cameras and I want produce a live streaming broadcast which will show 4 matches at the same time

Sorry about the question but i just want i understand some things before i procceed with purchace.
Anyone can help...?

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 5:44 pm

airpanos wrote:Can I have per example 4 different panels at the screen which my viewers watching? Everything has to do with taekwondo matches. I have 4 cameras and I want produce a live streaming broadcast which will show 4 matches at the same time

4 Matches (cameras) at the same time - on one streaming broadcast? That could only be done using the 2ME switcher - as that now has something called "supersource" which allows you to create a video wall containing four different camera's/inputs.

airpanos

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:38 am

thank you my friend for the answer.
The supersource because it is software doesn't 'fit' somehow at the TVS ???
The TVS has 4 hdmi inputs (which my cameras have ) and the 2ME doesnt have at all
and i have to buy converters which are quite expensive

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 pm

airpanos wrote:thank you my friend for the answer.
The supersource because it is software doesn't 'fit' somehow at the TVS ???
The TVS has 4 hdmi inputs (which my cameras have ) and the 2ME doesnt have at all
and i have to buy converters which are quite expensive

The supersource for whatever reason (could be hardware/software limitation of the TVS) is only available on the 2ME. Black Magic would have to answer that question as to why it's not on the TVS.

The 2ME is a lot more expensive than that TVS of course (almost 5 times the price)... so it's not just those HDMI to SDI converters needed.

A cheaper work-around would be to use the soon-to-be-released Quad Viewer from Matrox ($995) + those HDMI->SDI converters. Still not cheap though.

airpanos

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Thank you Liam for your time I will re-organize my problem to find a new solution

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:15 pm

airpanos wrote:I want to know 2 things about television studio

Hello airpanos (nice to see you over here too). Are you still considering the TVS then?

So... what "output panel" are you wanting to change? Not sure what you mean by that question.

You can do lower thirds using the media players and (usually) configure that using a Downstream Key (DSK).

For the live sports data you would have to connect another laptop to an input of the TVS which is displaying the live data you want and then use a key to have that overlayed over the video (could be a luma key or keyed out using a mask you load into the media player bins). So... yes... it can be done.

arborescence

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Can I put Power Point Presentation into to ATEM Television Studio? I have a conference with 2 camera and the speaker has a PowerPoint which sometimes I will like to put on the screen. What is the best way to do that? Thanks

TylerRiddle

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 8:17 am

arborescence wrote:Can I put Power Point Presentation into to ATEM Television Studio? I have a conference with 2 camera and the speaker has a PowerPoint which sometimes I will like to put on the screen. What is the best way to do that? Thanks

Generally, the computer would need an HDMI out matching your video resolution oh the atem switch. If you have VGA, You can also use a scaler (vga to HDMI) for the most reliable performance. I don't think Blackmagic makes one but I know Atlona, extron, and Kramer make them.

George Sickler

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 8:42 pm

TylerRiddle wrote:
arborescence wrote:Can I put Power Point Presentation into to ATEM Television Studio? I have a conference with 2 camera and the speaker has a PowerPoint which sometimes I will like to put on the screen. What is the best way to do that? Thanks

Generally, the computer would need an HDMI out matching your video resolution oh the atem switch. If you have VGA, You can also use a scaler (vga to HDMI) for the most reliable performance. I don't think Blackmagic makes one but I know Atlona, extron, and Kramer make them.

Sounds like a new topic.

Will TVS accept .ppt - no - You can export your powerpoint to make jpeg files, but you would have to toy around with the photo shop settings to make sure the powerpoint jpeg is compatible for the media pool.

What I am doing is using an apple tv3 and airparrot - so far - fantastic. - (except for atem 1/ME no 60 hz boo! - coming soon thou).

Ya, or use an VGA to HDMI convertor - just be aware of your laptop source, like we have some small laptops I thought would work, nada, acer 12" laptop will not pass throu a usable signal. I had a hard time, but I did not buy the more expensive scaler.

Geo
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

supertech

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 am

I am looking at the TV studio as a solution for a chuch worship system. Will I be able to run the control software on an iPad / tablet device? has anyone done this that can confirm any operator concerns? System is now one camera [has an rgb output - adapted to HDMI] and a pc computer [dvi output adapted to HDMI]. Output to main projector HDMI and a few monitors in the balcony. Input would be appreciated.

Return to Live Production