Full Screen 'Viewer' on second display...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Glenn Venghaus

Re: Full Screen 'Viewer' on second display...

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 am

Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

alan bovine

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 9:45 am

What about us Fusion users who had unlimited floating windows for both image viewers, 3d viewports, scopes and meta data. A complete modular UI that's now been frozen in a very rigid way.

All of which are no longer present in Resolve's Fusion.
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 9:55 am

I think "THAT" is the most interesting and recent twist to the story that may be the reason why we might eventually get some sort of floating window option or similar.
A bit like what happend with Fairlight where there is a floating video window option now.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Micha Clazing

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 11:18 am

Al Spaeth wrote:If BM were only interested in the needs of professional colorists and studios they would have not invested the money into developing a full blown NLE to compete with products like Premiere available for free and $299 for the full version. Until BM says "No" we will continue to ask for it.

I think I've said it before, but I think with the Edit page maturing and the addition of the Fusion page, this is now reaching critical mass to a point where I'd be very surprised if Resolve 16 doesn't include more flexible monitoring options.

Al Spaeth

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks Micha - Lets hope so :)
Resolve 15.3 free Win 10 64bit

Daz Wood

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:I think "THAT" is the most interesting and recent twist to the story that may be the reason why we might eventually get some sort of floating window option or similar.
A bit like what happend with Fairlight where there is a floating video window option now.

That floating video window keeps disappearing behind and will not appear again until you quit fairlight and then enter it again. This is one bug that's very very annoying.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

bjornzitting

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 6:34 pm

I think all agree on this:
- If a program supports more than one monitor - and I've setup an environment with more than one monitor via systems graphic card(s), I want to choose which monitor has it's role in that program

- In case of an OS that don't distribute 'Main OS menus' to all, I want to exclude/dedicate one cheap monitor for 'file handling and house-keeping' whatever 'multi-monitor aware" program is running front, also (sometimes?) for scopes which works today

With the 'overpowered' GPU cards we have nowadays 3+ monitors on one card is easy to setup
BMD recommends having all physical monitors connected to one GPU card - OK
BMD currently only supports dual monitor via OS + scopes as an extra window which is great!

With Resolve Studio on Linux (two monitors + grading via BMD HW), I'm not comfortable with any of the choices in Resolve dual monitor menu now, as others on this thread also say

Please reconsider your current 'locked down' choices and give us more freedom in multi monitor setups!

Björn

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 7:44 pm

bjornzitting wrote:I think all agree on this:
With Resolve Studio on Linux (two monitors + grading via BMD HW), I'm not comfortable with any of the choices in Resolve dual monitor menu now, as others on this thread also say

Björn

Lately i've been editing more and more in resolve with 3 monitors from which 2 are GUI monitors and 1 decklink output. at first i felt 'limited' too. But to be honest, i'm getting more and more used to it now. even better, i might even think that i like the fact that its so ''not''-customizable.

you just know what to expect.

i've been a part of this discussion too a while ago. and i still think i sometimes miss a -for example-, full screen source monitor / multicam monitor somewhere on my desk.

sure there are always some things that could be ''better'', and that also goes for resolve. but as a fulltime editor, i can really recommend to try and ''just live with it'', for now.

everyone has his/her own preferences, but i think resolve is getting there.

oh, and i want a resolve to have snapchat filters. thats a must.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:oh, and i want a resolve to have snapchat filters. thats a must.

LOL... now I have to clean both my monitors... I spat coffee on them when I read that :lol:
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 6:29 am

alan bovine wrote:What about us Fusion users who had unlimited floating windows for both image viewers, 3d viewports, scopes and meta data. A complete modular UI that's now been frozen in a very rigid way.

I think that still exists in standalone Fusion 9.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

TonyLewis

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Well I learned something new today. I already have an Intensity Pro PCIe card in my PC, but forgot that it can provide an HD output. I just updated the software, rebooted, and now Resolve clearly lists the Intensity Pro as an output device for use as a separate full screen 'viewer'. So this card (and I suppose its new 4K brother) offers the best of two worlds (ability to capture from a wide variety of video sources, as well as output).

Off to the store for my third display!
I7 @3.6mhz, 32G RAM, W7100 GPU, Intensity Pro 4K capture and display card
Resolve Studio, Fusion Studio, After Effects
Windows 10 Pro x64

RobertSmith

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:train-wreck of an inconsistent and brain farts inducing design like for example adobe premiere.

your quoted comment reminded this Adobe switcher how long it took to discover a method to enable 'dynamic project switching' recently :-)

... anyone don't know; you should go into project settings and right click to the right hand side of the window.

Mark Grgurev

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Does anybody else here have an HTC Vive? You hook it up to your computer via you're GPUs HDMI or DisplayPort out but it doesn't show up as a generic display to the OS, it's only accessible by VR programs. I would assume that this method of accessing a display via the GPU should allow any program to bypass the OSs color settings since the output display is known to whatever's gonna access it.

Surely whatever it's doing could be done by Resolve as well. And btw, I do have an Intensity Pro 4K that I use for capture and playback, however it would be nice to swap it with a GPU and get better performance if I don't intend to capture anything for awhile.

gooobla@gmail.com

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 7:19 am

The HTC Vive post is interesting and made we wonder if there is any way to view/monitor your project on a modern cell phone. 95% of the time my projects are watched on a cell phone, and as of now, the only way I know how to grade for my anticipated audience is to estimate what might be good, render project, upload to my phones, view on phone, REPEAT, REPEAT, etc. I'd pay BM whatever they want if i could use a phone as a second display.

aLeXXtoR

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I think that still exists in standalone Fusion 9.

I think that Fusion standalone is no longer supported. Sorry Marc, but you sound like "I used to do this in 70's so let me keep it this way and go away!" (with all respect)

Future Fusion is a part of Resolve now. Fusion users now need to start using Resolve and currently it isn't pretty handy due to interface. Personally I used to deal with 3-monitor layout: (1) nodes and properties, (2) big view and timeline, (3) 2 other views + spline view etc. In the current version of Resolve there is no way to do 3-monitor layout and even in dual-monitor working with the node window (for example) reminds me my first PC at work in 2001 (15 inch display with 1024x768 pixels resolution).

Not every user of Resolve today needs really 100%-accurate colour preview since last versions of Resolve are not just a colour correcting software (correct me BMD if I'm wrong: yolu did everything last years to say everyone that Resolve is the editing, VFx and sound design tool too): most of compositing artists, sound designers and editors for example must see a big picture but really don't need it to be that accurate.
Windows 11 Pro
Intel Core i7 13700kf, 128 Gb DDR5 RAM
GeForce RTX 4090 + GeForce RTX 3090

bruce alan greene

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 4:20 pm

gooobla@gmail.com wrote:The HTC Vive post is interesting and made we wonder if there is any way to view/monitor your project on a modern cell phone. 95% of the time my projects are watched on a cell phone, and as of now, the only way I know how to grade for my anticipated audience is to estimate what might be good, render project, upload to my phones, view on phone, REPEAT, REPEAT, etc. I'd pay BM whatever they want if i could use a phone as a second display.

I imagine that it's possible to write a phone app that will let you feed the phone HDMI and display it on the phone. I think there are already apps to let one use an iPad or maybe iPhone as a computer monitor display as well, though these might only work with a Mac.

So, google around and see what you find. I wouldn't work this way, but if you really want to, it may already be possible.

Gary Hango

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:52 pm

Google Spacedesk and Nobe Display.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

etang77

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 12:46 am

Is Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle the only way to go for an external device? Are there any brand alternative that works with Resolve?

Craig Marshall

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 1:45 am

I was filming in Asia last month and worked with a number of very professional video and stills producers. (I'm talking the latest Nikons, GoPros everywhere backed up by multiple Sony FS7s) One video producer showed me some of his recent work, streaming off his private Channel direct to his smart phone where it looked particularly rich and vibrant but somewhat 'unrealistic' if I'm honest.

I asked: "Did you push those colors?" where he relied, "Sure, I did". My response as a traditionally trained 'broadcaster': "I guess that's not likely to pass QC?"

His response? "Who cares? This is how people watch stuff these days"
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 5:55 am

etang77 wrote:Is Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle the only way to go for an external device? Are there any brand alternative that works with Resolve?

I think Blackmagic has about a dozen different external devices to provide a dedicated viewing display from Resolve, range in price from about US$150 for the Mini-Monitor to US$3000 for the UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3. Lots of different choices in between.

aLeXXtoR wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:I think that still exists in standalone Fusion 9.

I think that Fusion standalone is no longer supported. Sorry Marc, but you sound like "I used to do this in 70's so let me keep it this way and go away!" (with all respect)

Naw, all the color and VFX we did in the 1970s and 1980s was analog, most of it composite. I don't miss those days at all and I much prefer working in digital and with resolution independence. I use enough different software that different interfaces and different methods don't bother me. Flexibility will keep you alive, particularly in a competitive, challenging industry like video post.

Micha Clazing

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Naw, all the color and VFX we did in the 1970s and 1980s was analog, most of it composite. I don't miss those days at all

You take that back, the Scanimate was a magnificent beast and you don't disrespect it.

etang77

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
etang77 wrote:Is Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle the only way to go for an external device? Are there any brand alternative that works with Resolve?

I think Blackmagic has about a dozen different external devices to provide a dedicated viewing display from Resolve, range in price from about US$150 for the Mini-Monitor to US$3000 for the UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3. Lots of different choices in between.

Thanks for that, I didn't know about mini-monitor!

Benjamin de Menil

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 2:12 pm

I actually bought a used BM card to solve this issue. But my PC is crammed with 2 nvidia 1080s (necessary for 4k work on resolve these days) and there's no room for the BM card.

Anyway, the idea that BM has to protect users from the possibility of inaccurate color on a second monitor is laughable. Sort of how apple had to protect people from google maps ;)

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:You take that back, the Scanimate was a magnificent beast and you don't disrespect it.

Oh, I know all about Scanimate. I had good buddies at Image West back in the day (sort of the LA version of Dolphin Productions), and I know too many of their secrets. The hilarious thing about Computer Image Corporation and all those 1970s/1980s "computer" graphics is that about 80% of the work was done through clever analog image manipulation through multi-generation mattes, done on devices like the Ampex HS-200 slo-mo recorder. Lotta smoke & mirrors. A guy on YouTube (a former Computer Image guy) sells a terrific 2-hour documentary that explains much of what they did. I loved that stuff back in the day.

But I very much live in today. I have a little nostalgia for the past, but 90% of the work I did in the 1980s and 1990s I'd love to redo today. Number one, I'm a better colorist now; #2, the equipment is a lot better (particularly in HD and 4K); #3, we can push the image further and solve more problems today than we could back then. So no: I don't miss analog video at all.

But I also keenly remember a time when a great color-correction system cost $500,000. So to me, being able to have a nice room in LA for 1/10th that investment that can do more is a wonderful thing. For me, the glass is half-full -- and I think there are very valid reasons for having a color-managed display as a hero monitor.

Ole Kristiansen

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Benjamin de Menil wrote:I actually bought a used BM card to solve this issue. But my PC is crammed with 2 nvidia 1080s (necessary for 4k work on resolve these days) and there's no room for the BM card.

Anyway, the idea that BM has to protect users from the possibility of inaccurate color on a second monitor is laughable. Sort of how apple had to protect people from google maps ;)
Attachments
intensity.png
Look here !
intensity.png (548.5 KiB) Viewed 13664 times

Peter Cave

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 6:57 am

"Anyway, the idea that BM has to protect users from the possibility of inaccurate color on a second monitor is laughable".

I agree, but there's the possibility of REALLY bad looking videos tagged with 'Graded on DaVinci Resolve' floating around the web.
I sometimes think this is the real reason behind BMD insisting that users use proper monitoring. There are forums full of posts regarding video/data levels and monitoring and poor looking videos rendered from Resolve. Mostly (not all, of course) the new users of Resolve don't have a proper understanding of video technical issues (levels, codecs, bit depth, hardware requirements etc.) and struggle with the technicalities that such a fully developed piece of professional software require the operator to be proficient with.

I would only use a full screen display on a computer for detailed fx work, not for grading.
However it WOULD be useful!
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 10:38 am

Peter Cave wrote:I agree, but there's the possibility of REALLY bad looking videos tagged with 'Graded on DaVinci Resolve' floating around the web.
I sometimes think this is the real reason behind BMD insisting that users use proper monitoring.

Web is already full of bad looking videos 'graded on davinci resolve' and not having fullscreen viewer on second monitor is not going to help one bit. It would imply that having an IO card will magically make any monkey a colorist that produces really good looking videos, which ofcourse is nonsense. Only option to prevent people from producing ugly stuff in Resolve is returning to 500K $ pricing, which will not happen. With current pricing Resolve actually screams 'use me for producing REALLY bad videos, pretty please!!! You will apply profession LUTs in most advanced hollywood software in no time!
I do stuff.

Dan Sherman

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:With current pricing Resolve actually screams 'use me for producing REALLY bad videos, pretty please!!!

This is a fairly ridiculous statement. I'm a developer by trade, and cost has almost zero bearing on the intelligence/skill of end users. If anything, dedicated BM cards protect dumb users from themselves more than anything else at this point in time.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Micha Clazing

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Web is already full of bad looking videos 'graded on davinci resolve' and not having fullscreen viewer on second monitor is not going to help one bit. It would imply that having an IO card will magically make any monkey a colorist that produces really good looking videos, which ofcourse is nonsense.

I'm willing to bet that an experienced colourist grading on a $100 uncalibrated sRGB screen will still produce vastly better results than some "social media influencer" in a professional grading booth with FSI monitors.

Edgar Bueltemeyer

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 9:34 am

Micha Clazing wrote:I'm willing to bet that an experienced colourist grading on a $100 uncalibrated sRGB screen will still produce vastly better results than some "social media influencer" in a professional grading booth with FSI monitors.

I totally agree. And even if this discussion has been going on for too long already i need to add my thoughts...

Figure this: I use Resolve on my laptop too. I EDIT on it. And the USB 3.0 port doesn't work with an SSD AND the BM Ultrastudio SDI connected at the same time because the BM Ultrastudio needs the full bandwith and therefore when you try to use both simultaneously Resolve crashes every few minutes....
BUT i have an additional HDMI port which i could use for full screen...
So what? Why can't we do that?
Get off this silly idea that Resolve is only for Color Grading...seems like a lot of people still believe that...
Seriously, get over it...

(oh, and yes.. i have an Intensity 4K and an Ultrastudio SDI...)
--
PC:Resolve 18.5 - Tangent Wave - Speed Editor-Win11-AMD RYZEN 9-12 cores 64GB-RTX 4060 TI 16GB
Laptop: DR 18.5 / i7 Quad 16GB / GTX 860m
Macbook Air M1

Mark Foster

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 am

Here again we see the problem when a really good professional software
for little money or free is available.

BMD should ask for the next version 3000 bucks (including 12G I/O card)
and so this discussion has done + g *
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 11:07 am

Mark Foster wrote:Here again we see the problem when a really good professional software
for little money or free is available.

BMD should ask for the next version 3000 bucks (including 12G I/O card)
and so this discussion has done + g *

Mark, with all due respect, i think i speak for the most if i say this has nothing to do with the price. also, bmd is not a charity organization. they know what they are doing.

i own a lot of bmd hardware, i spent much much more then 3000 bucks on all of it, and i could still see this as a welcome addition.

you are not helping by saying ''you dont need it''

we all dont need it, i dont need it. but again, it might be a welcome addition for a other people, also professionals
Last edited by Rick van den Berg on Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 am

Peter Cave wrote:"Anyway, the idea that BM has to protect users from the possibility of inaccurate color on a second monitor is laughable".

I agree, but there's the possibility of REALLY bad looking videos tagged with 'Graded on DaVinci Resolve' floating around the web.
!

Like there is already not enough of them. Everyone today having 0 knowledge (including famous youtubers) can download and start using Resolve and produce total crap. Full screen preview has not much to do with it and fact it's not accurate only makes whole situation worse as those people don't use BM hardware for sure.

AndreasOberg

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:20 pm

I wish we had this feature. One of the reason is that even though I have a LARGE Extended motherboard I simply do not have enough PCI slots. I got Raid cards, GPU cards, thunderbolt cards etc all fighting for space and there is no much left currently.
I have 1 slot free and a few things I would like to add currently:
10GE, maybe a SAS controller for TAPE, Thunderbolt for tape etc, video controller.

PCI ports taking space currently are 2 GPUs (4 pci slots), RAID controller, M.2 disk controller.
/Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Benjamin de Menil

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 2:16 am

Ole Kristiansen wrote:look here

Ok, the extension cable can help, but in addition to 2 1080s, I also have a UAD-2, an NVidia Quadro, and an liquid cooling system. The last thing I want is to cram in a decklink card, troubleshoot any system instability it introduces, and then spend valuable time figuring out how to use it. Add to that the inconvenience of having to monkey around changing display inputs between my grading environment and other functions - for instance editing on premiere.

I'm one of the inexperienced graders some here are hating on. My monitoring is OK but not perfect. The quality of my monitoring is far from the weakest link in my work. Besides inexperience, not being able to monitor on a full screen while adjusting controls on a second screen has been a considerable obstacle.

I also by the way, do some proxie generation on location with a laptop. I like to do rough grades for my proxies. I often hook up to a second monitor - even less worthy of grading on than by studio monitor - but would love to full screen on it so I can move faster on those quick and dirty proxie grades. I sure as hell don't want to use up one of my USB slots that are already fully occupied copying files between backup drives (or cough up the cash for it).

If Blackmagic were concerned with ensuring the perfect environment for grading, and that their product is only used by fully outfitted color suites, they wouldn't give it away with their cameras and add editing capability. Anyway, how is having non pro users grading on a tiny window going to improve their quality of output? Nonsense! It's to force people to buy their hardware. Many other software companies have gone this route - Apple, Avid, Protools (before it was acquired by Avid), etc etc.

In case it's not obvious where I stand on software companies putting up needless functionality barriers, I post to this forum from a windows PC and Android phone.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:39 am

Dan Sherman wrote:This is a fairly ridiculous statement. I'm a developer by trade, and cost has almost zero bearing on the intelligence/skill of end users. If anything, dedicated BM cards protect dumb users from themselves more than anything else at this point in time.

I think there's a lot of validity to this statement. I again point to page 1885 of the Resolve 15 manual: "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display." That explains it pretty well. I wish it was closer to page 1 or page 2 of the manual, but we get what we get. You can argue, "hey, Premiere doesn't require this," but then again, Resolve doesn't cost $600 a year, year after year. Resolve + a video adapter box is a lot cheaper than $600, and that's a one-time expense.

Benjamin de Menil wrote:Anyway, how is having non pro users grading on a tiny window going to improve their quality of output? Nonsense! It's to force people to buy their hardware.

Blackmagic Design is largely a hardware manufacturing company, so it figures that their secondary business (software) exists in order to promote the hardware. It's a free economy and if you don't agree with their philosophy, you always have the ability to buy something else. I'd say the same thing with somebody who loves FCPX but wants to run it on Windows. The software company makes the rules.

Dan Sherman

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:28 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I think there's a lot of validity to this statement. I again point to page 1885 of the Resolve 15 manual: "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display."

The issue is that statement is a falsehood or wishful thinking at best. Just because someone has a $145 decklink, doesn't mean they won't connect it to the crappiest monitor or tv they can get their hands on.

Marc Wielage wrote:Blackmagic Design is largely a hardware manufacturing company, so it figures that their secondary business (software) exists in order to promote the hardware.

I personally don't think this is the case, but if it happened to be so, BM should have the B**** to just come out and say it.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 am

I agree with what Dan wrote here. IO card won't turn someone into monitor calibration fanatic, statistically probably quite the opposite. Having a 145$ card will create an idea for quite a lot of people that now their output must be correct. It ain't.

Regarding BMD stating something, there are way bigger and hairier monsters sitting in the corner that no-one is willing to speak up about. It makes a sound similar to fufufufu...
I do stuff.

Ole Kristiansen

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 am

Benjamin de Menil wrote:
Ole Kristiansen wrote:look here

Ok, the extension cable can help, but in addition to 2 1080s, I also have a UAD-2, an NVidia Quadro, and an liquid cooling system. The last thing I want is to cram in a decklink card, troubleshoot any system instability it introduces, and then spend valuable time figuring out how to use it. Add to that the inconvenience of having to monkey around changing display inputs between my grading environment and other functions - for instance editing on premiere.

Which cpu and motherboard do you use? Do you have cpu pci-lanes enough for run your gpu's at x16 ? - 2 1080, Nvidia Quadro and UAD-2 !
Last edited by Ole Kristiansen on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ole Kristiansen

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 am

"Full Screen Viewer" on second display ... "
For my sake, BlackMagic can add the full screen viewer on second display - but I will not use it!

Benjamin de Menil

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:It's a free economy and if you don't agree with their philosophy, you always have the ability to buy something else. I'd say the same thing with somebody who loves FCPX but wants to run it on Windows. The software company makes the rules.

I like Resolve and would like to be able to use it's full potential. Many others feel the same way. That's why this thread exists. Yes, Blackmagic is free to make its decisions - no one is debating that. But that doesn't mean that their customers shouldn't provide constructive feedback - or criticism when BM gives fake excuses like 'protecting' users from bad monitoring.

I have invested many thousands of $ in Blackmagic hardware, which is why I have 3 licenses to Resolve Studio. So yes, I'd like this basic function unlocked.

Benjamin de Menil

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Ole Kristiansen wrote:
Benjamin de Menil wrote:
Which cpu and motherboard do you use? Do you have cpu pci-lanes enough for run your gpu's at x16 ? - 2 1080, Nvidia Quadro and UAD-2 !

I'm on a trip now and don't remember what motherboard or generation of i7 CPU. To be honest, I haven't gotten the UAD2 working since installing the second 1080. I've been been planning to troubleshoot when I have time. I won't be doing any serious audio work for a couple of months. If only I could run UAD plugins on the 1080s!

Micha Clazing

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Realtalk, the best option might be for someone to start a petition and formally present it to BMD reps at the next NAB show. Same with Fusion standalone support.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:Realtalk, the best option might be for someone to start a petition and formally present it to BMD reps at the next NAB show. Same with Fusion standalone support.

reps are most likely to far down the food chain to make anything happen, emailing Grant directly (if someone knows his address) would probably yield much better results.

RCModelReviews

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm having a little trouble understanding BMD's opposition to this request.

Since the main screen on which DR is operated can be any-old uncalibrated monitor and card then what's wrong with another screen showing full-screen footage being the same?

We can select full screen on the main monitor (Ctrl-F) but then (without the BMD control surfaces) we don't have any way of adjusting stuff so it's an itterative process involving switching back and forth between FS and windowed.

So have I missed something or is this just a handy way to force folk into buying more BMD hardware?

Gary Hango

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:So have I missed something or is this just a handy way to force folk into buying more BMD hardware?

Bingo! The free version and low cost, free upgrades, studio version, are most likely subsidized by hardware sales. Any changes to this setup would probably result in a switch to a subscription model (BARF!).

Craig Marshall

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 10:32 pm

You've nailed it Gary. The purchase price of Resolve is a Decklink card. The two go hand in hand just like Lightworks NLE and their control surface, the Console. (though in that case, other brands and be adapted)

When we decided to employ Resolve in our Studio way back in 2013, the addition of a Decklink I/O card (or later 'mini-monitor' output only varieties) along with some high quality peripheral SDI to Display Port and SDI to HDMI converters, meant that we immediately saw our pictures in their original, unadulterated quality as the Decklink card completely bypassed the graphics chain to offer a high quality, true 'baseband' Video signal direct to our Rec709 calibrated monitors and 4K TVs, not the Computer's interpretation of a video signal.

For us, this meant we were able to accurately recover scenes we had previously slated as 'over exposed' or 'too noisy'. With a Decklink card installed, outputting to a full screen, correctly calibrated monitor complimented by an accurate Scopes display, you can be very confidant that your Output meets your Delivery specifications, whether it be Youtube or Netflix.
Last edited by Craig Marshall on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

RCModelReviews

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 12:07 am

Gary Hango wrote:
RCModelReviews wrote:So have I missed something or is this just a handy way to force folk into buying more BMD hardware?

Bingo! The free version and low cost, free upgrades, studio version, are most likely subsidized by hardware sales. Any changes to this setup would probably result in a switch to a subscription model (BARF!).

So why not only allow full-screen second monitor mode in the Studio version? Studio users have paid for their software and it would be more incentive for those using the free version to part with some cash.

Gary Hango

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 12:28 am

Even with the studio version, you’re getting more value than the original purchase price. You’d be hard pressed to find any other professional grade software like Resolve that doesn’t charge for upgrades and new versions.

Benjamin de Menil

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Craig Marshall wrote:You've nailed it Gary. The purchase price of Resolve is a Decklink card.

OK, I have a Decklink card and 3 licenses to Resolve Studio. Now can I have an unlocked version of Resolve?

... I admit though, I never bought resolve. It came for free with cameras I purchased. So I get the hardware argument. But then just tell it like it is. Don't claim to be protecting users from themselves.

Also, maybe the card could come with a license that would make installing the card unnecessary?
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve