Unable to cache fusion VFXs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Umberto Uderzo

Unable to cache fusion VFXs

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 7:02 am

I have a timeline where a couple of clips were VFX enhanced.
After using a fusion tab composition on the clip (a simple particle emitter and renderer to simulate falling snow) the clip plays like a crawl no matter the caching i tell Resolve to use.
I tried to cache the Fusion output, the color output, tried even at single color node caching but no way. Clip doesn't play smooth anymore (and i mean 1.9 FPS).

Playing original footage, optimized footage or even cached clips with heavy grading but no fusion works perfectly.
I can for sure bypass the fusion effects and keep color grading but i don't think it should be the way to go.

Where can i check if i done something wrong?

Thanks!

I'm using Resolve Studio 15.2.1.

Umberto Uderzo

Re: Unable to cache fusion VFXs

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 am

To be more clear, the clip with Fusion VFX renders the cache (i see the cache indicator red bar slowly progressing to blue bar then finish), but playback is not affected by this cache as if it didn't exist at all. Turning on or off the cache on that clips brings to the very same playback choppyness.
And similarly cached clips without Fusion play smooth.

Puzzling.

Heiko Thies

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 am

To my knowledge it´s a bug that is already known and will hopefully be fixed in one of the next updates. Someone here gave a nice little workaround. On the editpage you can place a transparent graphic ontop of the fusion comp, like a PNG with no visible elements in it. This forces Resolve to cache that area and with it also the fusioncomp. I've tested it and it works. Of course this is annoying but should help you at least for the time being.

Umberto Uderzo

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Thank you for the hint! It works well!
I'm sorry i missed the fusion caching thread. Next time i'll dig deeper the forum!

Cheers!

Umberto Uderzo

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 pm

By the way, i discovered that caching on disk the last node of the Fusion composition works well too, in my case.

Return to DaVinci Resolve