Decimator MD-HX with BMD ATEM TV HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

cmcfalls2

Laptop -> Decimator -> ATEM TV Studio HD is not working...

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 2:14 am

Setting up for a training session tomorrow and am unable to get my laptop to show up as an input into the switcher.

I first tried just the laptop, no additional camera inputs. Wouldn't work at all. So I broke out the decimator and set the inputs/outputs. The input from the laptop shows 3GA 1080p60 so I set the output to 3G 1080p59.94. (there isn't a 3GA output setting). This matches the setting of all the other camera inputs I was going to use.

I tried two different laptops, both having the same HDMI outputs, set the decimator to something that I would have thought would work, but the switcher isn't seeing it.

Am I missing something?

Chris Murch

Re: Laptop -> Decimator -> ATEM TV Studio HD is not working.

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 10:18 pm

On the decimator, is the hdmi output set to the scaler and not a direct input?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 8:36 am

Under settings you can set 3G SDI output level A or B. This is a seperate setting from your resolution.

I guess you have set this the wrong value while your atem and cameras are running in the other value. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Koko Pudja

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 6:28 am

If you have installed correct graphic driver for your laptop, you should not need a decimator to convert. What type is your laptop? Mac or Windows?
If windows, most likely it will have onboard Intel graphic which you just need to tweak a bit. I assume you are using extended display mode.

Right click on desktop>Intel Graphic Setting>Display
Under Select Display, make sure it is selected to your secondary monitor
Under Resolution, select 1920x1080
Under refresh rate select 59p Hz

If you connect your laptop using HDMI Decimator, make sure the HDMI OUT (or SDI OUT if you use SDI to connect to your switcher) is selected to SCALER. Note that you should use SDI OUT group B (lower two ports on the decimator)

cmcfalls2

Decimator MD-HX with BMD ATEM TV HD

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 pm

I could use some advice here...

I have a BMD ATEM TV HD that I am trying to run 4 inputs into...
[list=]
Two PTZOptics PTZ cameras
HDMI Input from a Kramer HDMI Distributor for graphics (duplicate feed from what is shown on FOH Projector)
HDMI Input from a Mac for lower thirds graphics
[/list]

I have a few Decimators to take care of the scaling because I understand everything has to be the same in order for the ATEM TV HD to pick them up. I have no problem running the two cameras into the switcher and it works just fine. But I can not, for the life of me, get the HDMI inputs to work at all! Even if I unplug everything but a single HDMI input I get nothing.

I'm really not understanding the settings on the Decimators I guess. I have the PTZ cameras set to 1080i60 (I think). But I can't get the switcher to see the computers for the life of me. I'm going from computers through HDMI to the Decimators. But it doesn't matter if I run HDMI or SDI to the switcher, neither gets a signal.

Help!?

Markus Leodolter

Re: Decimator MD-HX with BMD ATEM TV HD

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

First, go to the input status page by pressing < or >.
If your computer sends any signal, you should see the resolution at HDMI, probably 1080p60.
Then go to control, select the HDMI output, and there select scaler.
Then, go to control - DUC source, there you select HDMI in.

Then go to Scaling and select 1080i60.
Then you should see your computer at the BM.

For testing you can connect an HDMI Monitor to the exit and it should show which resolution you get at the output.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:19 pm

Also under CONTROL > NO SIGNAL COLOR Set something like a blue or other color as long as it is not black.

This way if you have not any source connected to the decimator and you have set
HDMI OUT SOURCE > Scaler
SDI OUT SOURCE > Scaler

And under Menu item Scaling
OUTPUT Format (And there the right output format.)
You should see a color in your multiviewer. Otherwise you have some setting wrong.

Also on for hand. Check what resolution your Atem is on. Go to the Atem Software, Push the gear wheel left down. And check what resolution and framerate is set there.

Match all decimator scaling to that resolution and framerate! ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Baker

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

cmcfalls2 wrote:I could use some advice here...

...I'm really not understanding the settings on the Decimators I guess. I have the PTZ cameras set to 1080i60 (I think). But I can't get the switcher to see the computers for the life of me. I'm going from computers through HDMI to the Decimators. But it doesn't matter if I run HDMI or SDI to the switcher, neither gets a signal.

Help!?

Are you able to hook up the Decimator to a computer (or laptop)? I've found it easier to flip through the Decimator setting using the Computer software. I've also seen where the ATEM is picky about specific color settings (4:4:4 vs 4:2:2) so you might want to switch back and forth between options.

With our configuration we are using an older (2013) iMac and firing off graphics through ProPresenter. On boot up the iMac shows up as a third screen on the ATEM. As soon as we load up ProPresenter it disappears on the ATEM and we have to change the resolution on the iMac setting to something different and then back to the original settings before it will appear on the ATEM again. It's odd and annoying but we've gotten used to it enough to work around the issue.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Markus Leodolter

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 pm

If you are using a mac it also can be a hdcp problem.

Btw: is it working now?

Chris Murch

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 am

Hello,

You posted in a facebook group with the same question twice, it has been answered numerous different ways. I was one of those people who answered your questions and even made a video for you to show you how to set it up based on your questions.

When several people there asked if it had solved your issues, you have not replied in several days.

Can you please just let everyone know who has taken the time to answer your questions, if their suggestions actually helped you.

Return to Live Production