DaVinci resolve extra copy

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Frederic Berger

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Hello,

Over a year ago, I bought a Studio license (dongle) that turns out today to be a counterfeit product since 15.2.2 won't load.
I am looking to purchase a valid dongle from someone here who has gotten extra licenses bundled with multiple cameras.

Please send me a personal message if you have an extra license you'd like to sell.

Thank you
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Core i7-4790k 4 Ghz
EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6 GB
BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4k
32 GB RAM

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Frederic, sorry to hear you were burned. BMD does have a sweet offer going now though that might be worthwhile given you want to buy another copy of Resolve:

For $1,295 while quantities last, BMD will ship you a fully functional Resolve Studio license and at no additional cost to you, they’ll include their Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K that records CinemaDNG raw and ProRes 422 HQ in camera. I know it sounds too good to be true, but as an added reward, BMD will provide their own amazing Blackmagic raw (BRAW) that will make their current camera and Resolve run like the devil, perhaps even saving you a computer upgrade; the net savings from that actually easily means the copy of Resolve is ‘free.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

David Chapman

Re: DaVinci resolve extra copy

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Unless you have to have Studio, you can uninstall and re-install the latest version for free. Or purchase Studio for $299.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Frederic Berger

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 pm

rick.lang wrote:Frederic, sorry to hear you were burned. BMD does have a sweet offer going now though that might be worthwhile given you want to buy another copy of Resolve:

For $1,295 while quantities last, BMD will ship you a fully functional Resolve Studio license and at no additional cost to you, they’ll include their Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K that records CinemaDNG raw and ProRes 422 HQ in camera. I know it sounds too good to be true, but as an added reward, BMD will provide their own amazing Blackmagic raw (BRAW) that will make their current camera and Resolve run like the devil, perhaps even saving you a computer upgrade; the net savings from that actually easily means the copy of Resolve is ‘free.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick,
Thanks for the suggestion!
I was in the market for a 4k travel camera and seriously considered the BMPCC a few months ago. At that time I did not know that my Studio license was invalid so the extra Resolve license was not part of my requirements. I decided against it due to the lack of 4k stabilization. I already own a Sony 4k camera that I use to shoot mostly from a tripod. Its size makes it hard to carry around, the BMPCC would have been more portable yet not usable as a travel camera. I just can't watch unstabilized hand held footage.
I have now decided on the DJI Osmo Pocket 4k, which integrates a 4k camera on a gimbal. It currently sits under the Christmas tree :-)
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Core i7-4790k 4 Ghz
EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6 GB
32 GB RAM

Frederic Berger

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 7:09 pm

David Chapman wrote:Unless you have to have Studio, you can uninstall and re-install the latest version for free. Or purchase Studio for $299.

I use de-noise and GPU acceleration all the time now, I am hooked to Studio 15.2 :-)

But you're right, if I have to I can always downgrade to the free edition, it is not the end of the world.
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Core i7-4790k 4 Ghz
EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6 GB
32 GB RAM

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Frederic Berger wrote:Over a year ago, I bought a Studio license (dongle) that turns out today to be a counterfeit product since 15.2.2 won't load.

But you did run 15.2 with this dongle???

Share a picture of the dongle.. There might be your dongle is faulty or needs some kind of update, or a driver gone bad or missing??
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 am

If it was running with 15.2 and stopped with 15.2.2, it is definitely a counterfeit one. But I doubt those were around one year ago. So, why not try again with the older version?
Could also be a damaged port or the dongle itself, just accidentally happening at this point in time.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Frederic Berger

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 pm

I bought the Studio dongle on September 19, 2017 for $190. List price at that time was $299 so I thought that this was from someone who had duplicate copies bundled with various BlackMagic hardware and wanted to sell the extra license.
It works fine up until 15.2, but starting with 15.2.1 BlackMagic updated their copy protection. I don't miss much what's in 15.2.1 and 15.2.2 but over time I am sure that I will want to upgrade to new features. And short term I hope the DJI Osmo Pocket is fully supported in version 15.2
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Core i7-4790k 4 Ghz
EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6 GB
32 GB RAM

Baz

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 12:38 am

Frederic Berger wrote:.... but starting with 15.2.1 BlackMagic updated their copy protection.

Obviously to stop these illegal dongles that BMD are more than likely aware of!

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Return to Off-Topic