Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Tracking Paint in Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Baptiste Carrara

Tracking Paint in Fusion

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 12:36 am

Hey there,

Recently started using Fusion along side the Color tab and I seem to be stuck on a pretty armature issue. For reference, the shot pans down.

So I have this dirty sign:
1.jpg
Dirty sign
1.jpg (198.11 KiB) Viewed 5055 times

And I wanted to clean it up, pulled up the Paint tool and clone stamped it.
2.jpg
Clean sign
2.jpg (195.82 KiB) Viewed 5055 times

Great, I go to track it using the planar tracker, tracking works great, and I line it up as shown.
3.png
Nodes
3.png (60.91 KiB) Viewed 5055 times

Great, then I hit play and... it falls apart. It seems to be tracking and moving the entire source into the paint, and not just the paint effect itself.
I can't post more than 3 images, so here is a link to the issue.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6at0z0a7kr17fpi/4.jpg?dl=0

I'm sure I'm doing something super stupid, but can't figure it out.

Thanks.
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Sander de Regt

Re: Tracking Paint in Fusion

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 9:06 am

You are right. That is what is happening, because you feed the original - presumably moving - image into the paint node.

This creates a new composite image of the original combined with the painted result.
What you need to do is create a freeze image of your sign. Use a timestretcher with the source time set to what you want your source to be.

Then do your painting. Mask out the sign, because that's the only part you want to replace in your original shot - you could use a matte control after the paint tool for this. And THEN use the planar transform to matchmove the sign to your original footage and merge it with a merge tool.

I hope this helps.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Baptiste Carrara

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 2:00 am

Alright, I sort of understood that, in theory.
This is what I got out of it:

Resolve_2019-01-19_21-02-25.png
Resolve_2019-01-19_21-02-25.png (52.33 KiB) Viewed 4794 times

Naturally it doesn't give me an output that is different than the input.

I also can't seem to get the matte to work for me.. But that is just something I need to learn.

basically, does this node choice / order make any sense or am I off track here?

Thanks.
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Sander de Regt

PostSun Jan 20, 2019 8:47 am

The nodes in itself are fine, but what does the Matte Control do in your setup? You probably want a garbage matte mask in there to 'cut out' the new thing you just created. And then you still need to feed the original footage in the background input (the orange thingee) of your merge. By definition a merge merges two things (hence the name) so if you only have input you're doing it wrong ;-)

But you're definitely getting somewhere.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Baptiste Carrara

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Gotcha, thanks!
Good to know I'm on the right track.

Still have no idea how a Matte Control works, currently reading the manual:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/DaVinciResolve15/ReferenceManual/20181123-46b82e/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Reference_Manual.pdf

Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me, but we'll see. Basically flipping switches till something does something.
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Sander de Regt

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 pm

What is your overall skill in compositing? Are you completely new to it, or are you coming from AE or Nuke or other packages? The explanation on page 1573 is pretty technical, but it covers the tool pretty well.
What part don't you understand?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Baptiste Carrara

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 pm

So to answer that, the Color Tab in Resolve I'm pretty familiar with. The Fusion tab, this is my first time at it.
I come from a AE background, and would just be masking and tracking everything at this point, but I want to learn basic Fusion as well because as someone who aspires to one day be a colorist, it really helps being able to do adjustments like these within Resolve without having to do a round trip nonsense.

Tell you the truth, not sure which part I'm not getting. I figured there would just be a way to 'show effect only' of sorts were it would just copy the actual painted parts. But seems Fusion doesn't work that way.
Ursa Mini 4.6K

Baptiste Carrara

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Baptiste Carrara wrote:Great, then I hit play and... it falls apart. It seems to be tracking and moving the entire source into the paint, and not just the paint effect itself.
I can't post more than 3 images, so here is a link to the issue.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6at0z0a7kr17fpi/4.jpg?dl=0

I'm sure I'm doing something super stupid, but can't figure it out.

Thanks.

Gonna post the image here instead of my dropbox so it stays as a reference.

4.jpg
Image Reference
4.jpg (275.05 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
Ursa Mini 4.6K

groslaine

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 3:35 pm

I wonder if there is a way not to do the mask manualy. I'm talking about the one who should go to the matte control. I would like to use the painted area as a mask. The paint doesnt seem to generate a alpha but maybe i'm missing someting.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm

@groslaine
Are you still replying to this thread or are you effectively asking a new question?
I am not quite sure what your question is.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

groslaine

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 4:09 pm

It's a old post but it's a reply. In fact it's kind of for you. You explain the order of the nodes and the fact that a matte control (with a mask) would select the part of the image with the paint, I quote "Mask out the sign, because that's the only part you want to replace in your original shot - you could use a matte control after the paint tool for this".
For this part you can use a poly or rectangle shape to mask but I was asking if there was a way to use the paint area as a mask. I mean someting it's a complexe paint shape and I dont want to make a complexe poly after.

Return to Fusion