3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 2:12 pm

anyone tested them on bmpcc4k?
i had the yellow version (1300mAp) and powerup my va4k for since 70 minutes, recording or not.

https://amzn.to/2Rd2wpj

i used patona for laptop, led panel, va4k and more, and i ever found a good work between duration and cost. not cheap like common china battery not expansive like original, but for me work fine.

Australian Image

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 7:21 pm

I only paid about 6 EUR more for my genuine Canon batteries. That said, I use cheap knockoffs (Sony in this case) with my LED panels, field monitor and in my backup V-lock plate, but never inside any camera.
https://australianimage.com.au/

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 7:53 am

I like the Patonas, got a few Sony-style for my LEDs and also two V-mounts. The latter hold their charge very well and offer a good price/performance ratio.
But when I tested one in the P4K, it ran for 33 minutes, still showing 80% and then quit without a warning. The one from BM ran for 49 minutes, gave a warning and quit gracefully (both with permanent recording).
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Australian Image wrote:I only paid about 6 EUR more for my genuine Canon batteries. That said, I use cheap knockoffs (Sony in this case) with my LED panels, field monitor and in my backup V-lock plate, but never inside any camera.

Uhm where ?
I want to buy it :-)
In Italy canon original cost since three time a patona compatible, 26 euros patona 2000 vs 75 euros canon ep-l6 original battery.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I like the Patonas, got a few Sony-style for my LEDs and also two V-mounts. The latter hold their charge very well and offer a good price/performance ratio.
But when I tested one in the P4K, it ran for 33 minutes, still showing 80% and then quit without a warning. The one from BM ran for 49 minutes, gave a warning and quit gracefully (both with permanent recording).

Yellow patona or green premium patona?
Yellow are 1300 vs green premium 2000 like Blackmagic Design battery.
I know that cost few bucks less Blackmagic battery, but here Blackmagic Design battery seems difficult to find.

Australian Image

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 7:26 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Australian Image wrote:I only paid about 6 EUR more for my genuine Canon batteries. That said, I use cheap knockoffs (Sony in this case) with my LED panels, field monitor and in my backup V-lock plate, but never inside any camera.

Uhm where ?
In Italy canon original cost since three time a patona compatible, 26 euros patona 2000 vs 75 euros canon ep-l6 original battery.

This is from an Australian seller - VideoPro (https://www.videopro.com.au/). I don't think they'd be selling products to European buyers. Genuine Canon LP-E6N batteries are currently on sale at AU$78.
https://australianimage.com.au/

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 am

Australian Image wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:

Uhm where ?

This is from an Australian seller - VideoPro (https://www.videopro.com.au/). I don't think they'd be selling products to European buyers. Genuine Canon LP-E6N batteries are currently on sale at AU$78.

Wow excellent price, unfortunately shipping to Europe and duty grow too much the price for us, also if he ship to Europe.

carlomacchiavello

3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 10:11 am

My friend with bmpcc4k test tonight

Patona green (2000mAh) offert since 45-50 minutes of prores recording on sd
Patona yellow (1300mAh) offerta since 25-28 minutes of prores on sd

If could be useful to someone

Robert Niessner

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm

I have been contacted by Hedbox that they found my review here of their LP-E6N style batteries and they have looked into it and made a new version. They offered to ship me a sample for review purposes in January.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Adam Silver

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 11:52 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I have been contacted by Hedbox that they found my review here of their LP-E6N style batteries and they have looked into it and made a new version. They offered to ship me a sample for review purposes in January.

Take them up on it and let us know your findings. I'm interested.

Steven Kornreich

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 2:13 am

So is it my understanding that the Patona green batteries are a good choice as opposed to Canon OEM?
I am shooting 99% in Raw 3:1 will I get more time out of the Patona green ?

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 am

My bad experience was with a Patona yellow, the green ones might be worth a try.
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

Cooper

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Just got the camera and stuffed genuine canon lp-e6n battery in, it was charged a month ago or so. Showed 65% charge. Then the camera seemed clitch for a while and stopped showing percentage just showed full bar, then dropped to 58%. The camera seems to drain the battery pretty fast by being just on... while warming up. Now I need to charge the included 2000mAh 7,4V battery, then need to recharge the canon lp-e6n 1865mAh 7.2V batteries before making more conclusion... +the canon charger don’t seem to like the Blackmagic battery blinking like crazy.

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 pm

No, the Canon Charger is not going to charge the BM Battery, you can charge it in the camera, however.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Previous

Return to Cinematography