3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 609
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 2:12 pm

anyone tested them on bmpcc4k?
i had the yellow version (1300mAp) and powerup my va4k for since 70 minutes, recording or not.

https://amzn.to/2Rd2wpj

i used patona for laptop, led panel, va4k and more, and i ever found a good work between duration and cost. not cheap like common china battery not expansive like original, but for me work fine.
Offline
User avatar

Australian Image

  • Posts: 1705
  • Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 am
  • Real Name: Ray Pollanen

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 7:21 pm

I only paid about 6 EUR more for my genuine Canon batteries. That said, I use cheap knockoffs (Sony in this case) with my LED panels, field monitor and in my backup V-lock plate, but never inside any camera.
https://australianimage.com.au/
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 4616
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 7:53 am

I like the Patonas, got a few Sony-style for my LEDs and also two V-mounts. The latter hold their charge very well and offer a good price/performance ratio.
But when I tested one in the P4K, it ran for 33 minutes, still showing 80% and then quit without a warning. The one from BM ran for 49 minutes, gave a warning and quit gracefully (both with permanent recording).
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 609
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Australian Image wrote:I only paid about 6 EUR more for my genuine Canon batteries. That said, I use cheap knockoffs (Sony in this case) with my LED panels, field monitor and in my backup V-lock plate, but never inside any camera.

Uhm where ?
I want to buy it :-)
In Italy canon original cost since three time a patona compatible, 26 euros patona 2000 vs 75 euros canon ep-l6 original battery.



Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 609
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I like the Patonas, got a few Sony-style for my LEDs and also two V-mounts. The latter hold their charge very well and offer a good price/performance ratio.
But when I tested one in the P4K, it ran for 33 minutes, still showing 80% and then quit without a warning. The one from BM ran for 49 minutes, gave a warning and quit gracefully (both with permanent recording).

Yellow patona or green premium patona?
Yellow are 1300 vs green premium 2000 like Blackmagic Design battery.
I know that cost few bucks less Blackmagic battery, but here Blackmagic Design battery seems difficult to find.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

Australian Image

  • Posts: 1705
  • Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 am
  • Real Name: Ray Pollanen

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 7:26 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Australian Image wrote:I only paid about 6 EUR more for my genuine Canon batteries. That said, I use cheap knockoffs (Sony in this case) with my LED panels, field monitor and in my backup V-lock plate, but never inside any camera.

Uhm where ?
I want to buy it :-)
In Italy canon original cost since three time a patona compatible, 26 euros patona 2000 vs 75 euros canon ep-l6 original battery.


This is from an Australian seller - VideoPro (https://www.videopro.com.au/). I don't think they'd be selling products to European buyers. Genuine Canon LP-E6N batteries are currently on sale at AU$78.
https://australianimage.com.au/
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 609
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 am

Australian Image wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:
Australian Image wrote:I only paid about 6 EUR more for my genuine Canon batteries. That said, I use cheap knockoffs (Sony in this case) with my LED panels, field monitor and in my backup V-lock plate, but never inside any camera.

Uhm where ?
I want to buy it :-)
In Italy canon original cost since three time a patona compatible, 26 euros patona 2000 vs 75 euros canon ep-l6 original battery.


This is from an Australian seller - VideoPro (https://www.videopro.com.au/). I don't think they'd be selling products to European buyers. Genuine Canon LP-E6N batteries are currently on sale at AU$78.


Wow excellent price, unfortunately shipping to Europe and duty grow too much the price for us, also if he ship to Europe.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

carlomacchiavello

  • Posts: 609
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm
  • Location: italy

3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 10:11 am

My friend with bmpcc4k test tonight

Patona green (2000mAh) offert since 45-50 minutes of prores recording on sd
Patona yellow (1300mAh) offerta since 25-28 minutes of prores on sd

If could be useful to someone


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Offline
User avatar

Robert Niessner

  • Posts: 2263
  • Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Location: Graz, Austria

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm

I have been contacted by Hedbox that they found my review here of their LP-E6N style batteries and they have looked into it and made a new version. They offered to ship me a sample for review purposes in January.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
Offline

Adam Silver

  • Posts: 190
  • Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 11:52 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I have been contacted by Hedbox that they found my review here of their LP-E6N style batteries and they have looked into it and made a new version. They offered to ship me a sample for review purposes in January.


Take them up on it and let us know your findings. I'm interested.
Offline

Steven Kornreich

  • Posts: 59
  • Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:51 am

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 2:13 am

So is it my understanding that the Patona green batteries are a good choice as opposed to Canon OEM?
I am shooting 99% in Raw 3:1 will I get more time out of the Patona green ?
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 4616
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 am

My bad experience was with a Patona yellow, the green ones might be worth a try.
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM
Offline

Cooper

  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am
  • Real Name: Jari Keskisalo

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Just got the camera and stuffed genuine canon lp-e6n battery in, it was charged a month ago or so. Showed 65% charge. Then the camera seemed clitch for a while and stopped showing percentage just showed full bar, then dropped to 58%. The camera seems to drain the battery pretty fast by being just on... while warming up. Now I need to charge the included 2000mAh 7,4V battery, then need to recharge the canon lp-e6n 1865mAh 7.2V batteries before making more conclusion... +the canon charger don’t seem to like the Blackmagic battery blinking like crazy.
Online

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 10616
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 pm

No, the Canon Charger is not going to charge the BM Battery, you can charge it in the camera, however.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Previous

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests