DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jason Conrad

Re: DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 am

Please, a Cancel Button for "The clip(s) have different frame rate than the current project settings" dialogue. It's not much to ask, and it would alleviate an unnecessary source of stress.

The box confronts users with a binary decision from which they cannot opt-out. On top of that, it supplies no information to inform the user's choice. There's no way to check your project settings without closing it, but don't choose wrong, because if you set the framerate incorrectly, you can't change it later without deleting any (and all) timelines.

But suppose I *think* I know what my project settings are: Seeing the box tells me *that* I'm wrong. But worse, it doesn't tell me *why* I'm wrong. It doesn't show which values are mismatched. Did I accidentally drag in a low res proxy, or was I wrong about my project settings? No way to tell. Source size, destination size, source speed, destination speed. Four variables, one choice, zero input. Wait. Does audio sample rate mismatch trigger the dialogue, too? Again, no way to know.

What if I *intentionally* start with a mismatch? Say I start off with a low-res proxy on purpose, full of conviction and determination:

First, I'll second-guess myself out of reflex, because that's what the box has conditioned me to do. Then, I'll reassure myself, "no, you expected that, remember?" But before I can commit to a direction, I'll dwell on the thought that I could've made a mistake, and there's nothing in the interface to reassure me that I haven't. And while I'm SURE (sure?) that the resolution is correct because I wanted proxies in the first place, the whole unable-to-retroactively-change-framerate thing will really start to gnaw at me. Maybe I should back out to the project settings and check. No cancel button. Ain't no turnin' back here, son.

But most of the time, I find that box staring me down with it's beady, cockeyed, heteroaromatic buttons because I'm anxious to start sorting through media. The media is unsorted, of course, and so mostly full of mixed resolutions and framerates. I'll dump a heaping boatload of junk into the media pool, and as if summoned by magic, up pops that little devil whispering promises of helpfulness. "Click 'Change'" he says. "I'll set up your project for you, trust me" he says. But what will that devil change my project to? Does he select from the mismatched files alphabetically? By date added? Randomly? No way to know, but it can't be good.

So, please, BlackMagic, a cancel button to slay the Faustian devilbox. Thanks.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Robert Arnold

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 1:28 am

It would be lovely to have a "Go to next ungraded clip" command on the Color page. Often after I have graded most of a show there are often a few missed clips here and there. Sure I can choose "Ungraded clips" from the Clips pulldown, but then I have to keep toggling back to All Clips, as I usually want to copy a grade from one of the nearby clips. It's a little thing, but it would make a big difference in day-to-day grading!

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 am

while i agree, you can do a stupid workaround:
Select show ungraded clips
Quickly put a marker (m) on all
Back to All clips
Shift+arrows up/ down to jump to those
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

EposVox

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 12:54 am

Can't read through all the pages for duplicates, BUT:

[*] Global transition "Favorites" - this resets every project for me.
[*] Global favorite files? That are in their own bin every time you make a new project, user-based. (Like the "Sound Library" but for frequently used GFX or media assets for recurring projects.)
[*] Right click menu or keyboard shortcut to change scaling mode to "Fit" (a la, "Set to Frame Size" in Premiere)
[*] Panel for a list of Markers w/ clickable timecodes
[*] Generally just more customizable panel placement w/ the ability to make your own non-fullscreen dual monitor layout. I want to keep more panels open than am currently able to with how it works.
[*] Black and white effect preset
[*] Text settings presets (unless I'm missing that)
[*] Add Ease options to the Inspector panel for zoom/position controls. (Efficiency is king)
[*] Make the Remote Render workspace have a smaller Window size without the usual project editing panels, maybe?
[*] Generally having a bigger render queue functionality to be able to use Resolve as a transcoder (a la Adobe Media Encoder) would be cool, as the performance is better than many other options.
[*] Effect presets in general?
[*] One-button screenshot/still image file export from program/source monitor
[*] Ability to set Render Cache for defaults (I could be missing this)
[*] Motion (zoom/position) Presets?

Keyboard shortcut requests:
[*] Transition presets - either per end of clip (default to between clips when choosing end and two are touching) or separate shortcuts per ends of the clip
[*] Clip & Marker colors - there's currently shortcuts for "clear color" but not to set the color

There's also lots of little detailed UI-based and nitpick-y things from this spreadsheet of requests that I support.

Issues for fixing/controlling?:
[*] Transitions (i.e. Edge Wipe) on images with Dynamic Scaling enabled frequently glitch and have sudden jumps in scaling/zooming position during the transition. Inconsistent but has removed some polish from some of my edits. Would seem that enabling the transitions first and then turning on Dynamic Scaling might alleviate this (or just got luck with inconsistency) but either way the interaction isn't great.
[*] Some transitions on images that don't take up the full canvas (and thus are given a black background) sometimes lose the black background during transition, revealing what's underneath. Very odd.
[*] Sometimes the playhead gets stuck and isn't accurate to where the video is actually playing.
[*] Interpretation of AAC encoded multitrack audio via OBS Studio ends up garbled and glitchy in final render, even if interpreted/played back fine during editing. Common issue I've seen from multiple other people now.
[*] Syncing audio and video, putting that in a timeline, and then nesting that timeline in another timeline results in completely inaccurate and unusable waveform visualization, which makes cutting almost impossible. Either option to re-generate waveforms is needed, or that particular bug needs addressed.
[*] Some OFX transitions/effects cause "Error Code: 4" "The GPU failed to perform image processing because of an error." Particularly the Red Giant suite. This requires a relaunch and is certainly better than the Adobe Equivalent (same hiccup in Premiere will crash the entire GPU driver and send Premiere CTD) but would love if anyone could get them to help resolve it, heh.
[*] GoPro Cineform generated Render Cache plays back horribly whereas Cineform files generated elsewhere (i.e. Adobe) play back buttery smooth.
[*] Inconsistently, Resolve will have an issue with OBS remuxed files (recorded to MKV and remuxed to MP4) where the timeline playback and final render will be closer to 20-24fps of a 30fps file (or ~50fps of a 60fps file) despite timeline settings being correct. This is worked around by transcoding the file prior to import, but "Generate Optimized Media" seems to bake in the issue. (Specifically this has only been documented to me/by me with NVENC encoded files. Not sure if it's codec related. Again, the files play fine in Premiere, YouTube, etc. it's just Resolve that doesn't read them correctly. Very inconsistent.)
[*] AutoSave/Live Save interrupts ANYTHING happening, i.e. typing a marker title, and closes that Window. Very jarring/frustrating to have keep happening. Needs to like wait until no dialogs are up or something.
[*] When modifying audio channel assignments under Clip Attributes, sometimes it takes multiple mouse-overs for the trash can icon to show up to delete tracks. Seems to just get stuck sometimes.
Last edited by EposVox on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:03 am, edited 7 times in total.
Windows 11 Pro | Resolve 18 Beta | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Nvidia Titan RTX, 128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200MHz RAM

Andy Mees

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 2:09 am

[*] Global favorite files? That are in their own bin every time you make a new project, user-based. (Like the "Sound Library" but for frequently used GFX or media assets for recurring projects.)

View menu > Show Power Bins
(also useful for storing clips with effect and text 'presets' etc)

[*] Panel for a list of Markers w/ clickable timecodes

Edit Index > Show Markers

[*] Black and white effect preset

Gallery window > DaVinci Resolve Looks > Black N White
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

EposVox

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 2:20 am

Andy Mees wrote:showing that Epos is a moron

Thank you!!
Windows 11 Pro | Resolve 18 Beta | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Nvidia Titan RTX, 128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200MHz RAM

Nathan Morgan

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 12:20 am

When using "Replace Selected Clip..." it would be great if the OS window that opened defaulted to the location of the currently selected clip (the clip to be replaced).

A majority of the time that I am replacing a clip it is located very close to original clip and it would save a ton of time to have this functionality.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Josef Pöllmann

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 4:31 am

Maybe a small matter to have more information on the Deliverpage:

I'ld love to have the filename to which a timeline is rendered shown in the list of render-jobs in the render queue.

Actually the joblist shows only project and timeline-name and folder to which the rendered video goes.

If I eg. render parts of a timeline to the same folder I have no orientation which renderjob belongs to which part of the timeline. If there were the filenames I'ld have this information.

Thanks for the great job with version 15!

Josef
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio on a HP Z 420, 128 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 2x4 + 1x2 TB Media, RTX4060TI 16GB, 551.61 Studio, W10 for Workstations 22H2 - www.muehldorf-tv.de

Jack Swart

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 5:12 am

A % variable for the timeline name in the burn-in custom text field.
Almost everything but the kitchen sink is already included.
One more could not hurt.
Very useful for multiple versions for approval.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Karel Voners

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Global makers please!

Markers that translate from clips on the timeline to the media page and show up in all bins!

Kind of essential!

Thx!
K
i9-12900 - MSI PRO Z690-A - 32GB RAM DDR5 4800Mhz - 1070ti 516.94 - 970PRO nvme - 7x 2TB RAID - Areca 1222 - Mellanox Connectx3 10GBe - Tascam 2x2 USB interface - ACER BM320 10bit 4K monitor - Win 10 19045.3448

Resolve Studio, Decklink 4K, Pocket OG

jimmygolitely

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Request:

CTRL + Timeline click = set loop region in marker

ALT + Timeline click = set loop region out marker

Val Gameiro

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I have a couple of very specific requests:

1. When importing a timeline, if certain files can't be found, it'd be nice to see which files they are, other than just being given the option to pick a new folder. I normally pick the root folder for the project which works great, but then when there's still missing files, I have no idea where to look. Obviously they're not in the main folder, or there's an issue matching the files, but I don't know which files are missing. It could be stock footage from another project, and if I knew the file names, I might be able to know where to look for them, or minimally use an external search to find them.

2. I have a bunch of DVCPROHD files from my HVX200, which somehow imported without audio tracks. It'd be great to have DaVinci relink those audio tracks. This project was imported half from Premiere and half from Lightworks, and I don't know how they ended up with no audio.
Val Gameiro
Writer/Director/Filmmaker
Austin, Texas
http://www.AmnesiaTheMovie.com
http://www.ValGameiro.com
http://www.IdealSceneProductions.com
http://www.TXSTARentertainment.com

Resolve 16.1.1 64bit Windows 10 Pro MS Surface Book 2 16GB RAM GTX 1050

Val Gameiro

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Another option, which would solve point 2 of my previous post, would be to allow re-imports to overwrite the original clip.

In other words, if I import the same clip twice, the second time it just updates the original import. It would end up in the same folder as the original with the same log info entered.

I can't think of a reason why I'd want the same file more than once in the same project.
Val Gameiro
Austin, Texas

Val Gameiro

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Another feature is an idea from Premiere Pro, to find footage to fit the sequence.

For example, I have a timeline that I imported via AAF from Lightworks, but none of the clips linked up. So, I'm having to manually find the clips and then figure out where the cuts were and replace them on my timeline.

Premiere has a function to find the clips by name automatically and replace them on the timeline (I couldn't get Resolve to find the files even though they're there), but also, and most importantly, it has a feature whereby you can take the clip in the viewer, mark the in point and then you can drop that clip onto the timeline to replace the exist clip without overwriting the next clip. Essentially, replacing a shot by drag and drop.
Val Gameiro
Austin, Texas

studio1492

Adjust track height with the shift+mousewheel on timeline

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 6:12 pm

In Fairlight SHIFT+Mouse Wheel adjust the track height, which is great!!!!

However in the Timeline workspace there is no shortcut taht combined to the mousewheel adjusts the track height, and this is my request: SHIFT+mouse wheel adjust track vertical height, as on Fairlight.

I've manualled if this key+mousewheel combination exists, but there is nothing about it on the manual (15.2.2)

However, an aditional mousewheel combo may be useful for separate audio or video vertical heights.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

studio1492

Double click on the frame viewer

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm

REQUEST: Double clicking on the preview monitor adjusts the frame zoom to "Fit" when the frame has been zoomed in or out.
Last edited by studio1492 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Paul Draper

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Render-in-Place, directly on the timeline, in the Edit page.
Just like DAWs, or call it 'bounce', or 'freeze', whatever.

So, rather than rely on the variously problematic cache issues (user or auto) - do all the usual edit stuff, eg: 4k on a 1080p timeline, color correct, masks, audio plugs, trim, size etc - then 'bounce-in-place' while saving the new file & user-given name in the same user-dir. As per other conventions perhaps, the old original clip, FX & cache would be 'muted' but with the option of turning on again, re-tweaking and re-bouncing.

Yes, all of which can be done in the Deliver page per clip, but also which is long-winded, often PITA and could be unnecessary by (say) a right-click on clip 'render-in-place' option.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.5.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 4:17 am

Paul Draper wrote:Render-in-Place, directly on the timeline, in the Edit page.
Just like DAWs, or call it 'bounce', or 'freeze', whatever.

So, rather than rely on the variously problematic cache issues (user or auto) - do all the usual edit stuff, eg: 4k on a 1080p timeline, color correct, masks, audio plugs, trim, size etc - then 'bounce-in-place' while saving the new file & user-given name in the same user-dir. As per other conventions perhaps, the old original clip, FX & cache would be 'muted' but with the option of turning on again, re-tweaking and re-bouncing.

Yes, all of which can be done in the Deliver page per clip, but also which is long-winded, often PITA and could be unnecessary by (say) a right-click on clip 'render-in-place' option.

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

BrandonFreeman

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 4:47 am

Karel Voners wrote:Global makers please!

Markers that translate from clips on the timeline to the media page and show up in all bins!

Kind of essential!

Thx!
K

This.

Also, waveforms in the source monitor for compound clips/sequences. Please?

BrandonFreeman

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 4:49 am

Being able to zoom into the source monitor to more accurately place markers!

László Rumbold

Bin scroll

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Option to freeze at least the first column (usually Clip Name) in a bin during horizontal scrolling:

Resolve_Bin_HScroll.gif
Resolve_Bin_HScroll.gif (900.6 KiB) Viewed 10814 times
László Rumbold
editor

HP Z420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650, 32GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070Ti, Win 10 Pro 64 bit
DaVinci Resolve Studio

ChrisTheChaosGamer

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Not sure if this has been said or not, but I would like to see:

- Being able to use a timeline that has a transparent background on top of another timeline without having to decompose them.

- I would also like to see a fix audio on videos being glitched and choppy on exported videos with nested timelines

gjhobbs

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 4:46 pm

1. Better Ability to Sync Numerous Clips. Or just be more friendly with Plural Eyes. This one might just require better XML capabilities. Everything always comes in jacked up (especially with mixed frame rates) and clips are missing/resolve just won't find them.

2. Better management of disconnected clips. This is a huge headache. A better dialog box that allows you to reconnect clips would be immensely helpful. Resolve just can't find clips half of the time even when you point it to exactly the right folder and it's ridiculous. This one might just require an overhaul/improvement of the way Resolve handles media management.

3. Add a clip editor (like audition) to Fairlight. This would be welcome, and help me leave adobe behind so much faster. I need the ability to edit my audio in depth, not just on the multi-track level.

4.Little nitpicky, but in Fairlight have the ability to show stereo clips together as one track rather than having the channels look like two different tracks. It just makes the interface messy and distracting. I get the functionality and it's nice to be able to work with the separate channels independently, but you should be able to toggle this off and on for usability.

5. Fairlight work with RX Connect. This is HUGE and would change the game for so many editors who also deal with audio. (Might require Clip Editor - Request 3)

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 7:15 am

gjhobbs wrote:Fairlight work with RX Connect
The External Audio Processes functionality renders RX Connect obsolete, allowing for a much more seamless workflow.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=81992#p454824
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79216#p439119

ohimbz

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 9:21 am

An easier access to the stabilizer button ... it`s one of the most used features for some of us and yet the button is quite hidden.
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 18.5
Windows 11

Margus Voll

PostSat Dec 22, 2018 8:02 am

Projects to remember clips filter as "show selected only"

For now if you save close and reopen you have one or few clips visible and all selection is lost and might be rather big excitement over "crashed" project.

Actually the project is fine but the clips filter is not remembered ion save and reopen.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Nathan Morgan

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 12:05 am

I posted this in a relevant thread but wanted to toss it here for consistency as well.

Would be great to be able to save / copy / paste / import / export subtitle "Track Style"
Desktop Video 12.0

Mel Matsuoka

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 5:17 pm

This is related to this post I made in regard to rendering offline proxies of Cinema DNG material.

I would like to see a Deliver Page option to render source clips based on a relative resolution which preserves the source clips aspect ratio, rather than a hardcoded resolution. This way you don't have to do your own manual math in determining the proper vertical resolution to render downscaled proxies of footage.

For example, If I had a 6016x3200 source clip (1.88 aspect) that I want to render a downscaled 1920 wide ProRes Proxy file for editorial, I want to be able to configure the Deliver Page render setting to render the proxy to 1920w, and have Resolve automatically figure out how many pixels to make the vertical height, in order to preserve the original 1.88 aspect ratio in the proxy renders.

The current method of achieving this in Resolve (as of Resolve 15.2.2) is insanely cumbersome, in that you have to create separate projects for each source clip aspect ratio, then import the appropriate clips into the separate projects, while also doing the manual math necessary to figure out the proper vertical resolution of the downscaled proxies in the Deliver page.

In a related feature request, I would like to see "Aspect Ratio" added to the list of custom column metadata, so at least you don't have to manually calculate the source clip aspect ratio, and so you can create Smart Bins to automatically sort clips by Aspect Ratio, rather than by raw resolution.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

studio1492

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 10:03 pm

Several requests for Fairlight:

- There is a lot of wasted display space in Fairlight Meters, showing more than 40 meters even when one is using at max 5 or 6 audio channels. A great idea would be to add a "Spectrum Analizer", which is the "audio vectroscope" equivalent, and a couple of "Classic console" analog VUmeters which is the industry’s classic metering method.

- Being able to Copy /Paste the global channel attributes on Fairlight (including VST parameters), with a simple CTR+C and CTR+V over the selected channel, (faster than Preset Libraries tool when we need to perform quick operations, avoiding to add a new temporary preset, name it, then delete it, which is slow). VERY Important: also applicable from/to SUB and AUX.

- In Fairlight Presets Library: being able to handle Sub and Aux, as the Fairlight preset library seems limited to AUdio channels only. Due to my personal workflow, Personally, I apply dynamics, EQ and VSTs mostly on SUBs, so Presets Library is unuseful for me.

- When working with Dynamics on SUB, AUX or Master, the "Expander/Gate" section appears disabled, and can't be enabled. This is odd. SUBs is the area where I love to use Gate and Expander due to my personal workflow needs. Luckily I can use VST plugins instead, but I don't see the sense to see it disabled on SUBs.

- In Dynamics it would be great to have a "Pre" Track Gain, previous to the dynamics workflow (remember XX century analog mixers?). Some audio raw media in some cases arrives to the edition desk extremely soft, i.e: whispered dialogs, or distant ambient sounds that requiere a loud presence. The "Make up" parameter in Dynamics seems to act after the whole compression workflow. Perhaps it would be great to be able to switch it as "Pre/Post", in Pre will be like Gain. Anyway the current +20dB is too short in my opinion with some audio footage, and enlarge its range to +30dB or even +40dB will help to work with subtle sounds recorded on the field. Or simply add a Gain (Pre-Dynamics) button, and after that start the dynamics. Currently I use Waves MV2 to push up the gain politelly when needed.

- In Fairlight it would be great a plugin to surgically notch out hums, whines, and buzzes with a dozen of ultranarrow parametric EQ (to do this I use Waves Q10), but for any reason a native Fairlight version will be appreciated.

- This one is like a BUG that I've noticed: VST windows stay in top of over other applications. Let's say that while editing with DVR I open the browser (Chrome or Firefox) and despite DVR stays on the background, the VST opened windows override the top view position of Chrome (or any other applications on top). I add a screen capture to ilustrate it.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2018-12-23 a las 11.25.36 p. m..png
Captura de pantalla 2018-12-23 a las 11.25.36 p. m..png (222.55 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Singularity

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Please make the UI more flexible!

I know a lot of people ask for a full screen preview on 2nd monitor. That would be nice, but what I really want is the ability to pop panels of the UI and drag them onto a 2nd monitor.
This is possible with the scopes panel, but nothing else. I feel this is such a useful and important part of workflow.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

Karel Voners

PostMon Dec 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Singularity wrote:Please make the UI more flexible!

I know a lot of people ask for a full screen preview on 2nd monitor. That would be nice, but what I really want is the ability to pop panels of the UI and drag them onto a 2nd monitor.
This is possible with the scopes panel, but nothing else. I feel this is such a useful and important part of workflow.

This could be more flexible. You can do some of this with bins etc. already.

+

Universal clip markers that show up everywhere, even when added in the sequence.
i9-12900 - MSI PRO Z690-A - 32GB RAM DDR5 4800Mhz - 1070ti 516.94 - 970PRO nvme - 7x 2TB RAID - Areca 1222 - Mellanox Connectx3 10GBe - Tascam 2x2 USB interface - ACER BM320 10bit 4K monitor - Win 10 19045.3448

Resolve Studio, Decklink 4K, Pocket OG

PieroLass

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 9:59 am

All I want for xmas Is an aaf for pro tools that really works, with original clip name, metadata, no shifts, no missing clips, openable in any versions of pt! It' s my only Need with davinci as a professional editor. Foundamental to work without worries of being stuck without possibility to work properly with sound departments at the end of the editing.

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Not a Feature Request but thinking since the short keys go like this

Shift + F2=Media Tab
Shift + F4=Editing Tab
Shift + F5=Fusion Tab
Shift + F6=Color Tab
Shift + F7=Fairlight Tab
Shift + F8=Delivery Tab

Shift + F9 will probably become a Media Creation program page like Adobe Encore if you follow the thinking logically on the placement of each page so that you won't need to leave the program to create Blu-Ray, UHD and future physical media menu's and content. Still not sure what they are going to put in Shift + F1, Shift + F3 and Shift + F11 will ever be
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 10:03 pm

As for requests which I am told will be taken care of in the next updates for 15, I still wan the support for the Fairlight Audio Accelerator Card for Mac and Linux. BM said the Mac support was supposed to come in an update in December and Linux after that
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

studio1492

Edit audio keyframes/volume on the fly while playing

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Request: Add/Edit Audio keyframes with the mouse on the flight overt the timeline's audio clips while the viewer is playing. Also edit the volume on the clip while the preview is playing.

At the current version Playing/Previewing the clip blocks the edition of keyframes and volume right on the Timeline clips, and the preview has to be stopped to perform any operation there. If in the inspector is possible while playing, why not on the timeline clip?
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

Resolve detects when to paste on playhead or in In/Out marke

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 4:06 pm

This issue has been discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=83488and here we go with a possible solution...

DVR can inteligently detect WHEN to paste copied contents on playhead or when to paste them inside the in/out markers. (The dilema between 3-point edition against 4-point edition).

The PROBLEM: When copying a range of the timeline using the In/OUT markers one has to always deselect the range with alt-X in order to avoid DVR to paste over the copied content itself. New customers coming from FCP and Premiere find this behaviour unexpected, as Copy/paste works there always over the playhead, not from in/out mark. Many of us forget to alt-X to remove In_Out markers when we want to copy on the playhead. In fact the alt-X is unnecesary if we apply the next solution:

SOLUTION: DVR can intelligently detect when the In/Out markers match with the original position of the contents copied on the clipboard. In this case, if In/Out matches with the position of the copied contents on timeline, then pasted contents will go right on the Playhead:. Nobody wants to copy and paste a segment of clips over the same position, so on this way DVR gains some inteligence. Otherwise, if In/Out markers have been modidied after copying the contents, then it will copy the contents inside the in/out markers.

A NEW IDEA: Also it will be great that when selecting a Gap betwen two clips, then DVR pastes the contents there fill the gap, overriding In-Out mark and overriding playhead.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

Mark Gaps

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Currently "Mark Selection" marks an In/out mark on selected clips position, but it needs to recognize when a single gap is selected as well.

Request: When a Gap between two clips is selected (by clicking on the gap) then Timeline, mark->mark selection sets an In-Out point over the gap.
Attachments
single gap.png
single gap.png (9.37 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

SebastianOchmann

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Hello,

I'm just starting to try Resolve on Arch Linux. My small list of big features that I'd love to see:
  • Support for H.264 input and output under Linux (if possible with YUV444 color).
  • Support for Matroska (MKV) container format.
  • Support for CRF quality control for H.264 export.
Best regards,
Sebastian

EDIT: Okay, I learned that the Studio version does support H264 input and output which is nice. Still, I can only select the NVIDIA encoder for H.264 export under Linux, and this produces either huge files or bad quality. A proper software encoder with quality settings similar to e.g. ffmpeg (-qp) would be really nice.

What I also observed was that playback of YUV444 H.264 video requires about double the CPU power compared to YUV420 clips. I don't know if further optimizations in that regard are possible.
Last edited by SebastianOchmann on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gjhobbs

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 7:31 pm

A more streamlined version of crossfading between clips when dragging them over each other in Fairlight. This is a pretty basic thing that a lot of DAWs already do, and is essential to making clean cuts in audio.

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 3:22 pm

BrandonFreeman wrote:Being able to zoom into the source monitor to more accurately place markers!

Yeah, I really miss the "timeline zoom" in the Source Monitor from Premiere Pro.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 3:45 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Yeah, I really miss the "timeline zoom" in the Source Monitor from Premiere Pro.

For audio waveforms as well, instead of the dual display system and numerical sizing options they have now. Zoom in/zoom out, just like the timeline, regardless of what's in the source window. It's not only Premiere with the preferred approach, that's pretty much the norm, for good reason.

julian_b

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 5:22 pm

John Paines wrote:Zoom in/zoom out, just like the timeline, regardless of what's in the source window. It's not only Premiere with the preferred approach, that's pretty much the norm, for good reason.

Yes! We definitely need that!

Michael Tiemann

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 12:31 pm

[*] AutoSave/Live Save interrupts ANYTHING happening, i.e. typing a marker title, and closes that Window. Very jarring/frustrating to have keep happening. Needs to like wait until no dialogs are up or something.

THIS ^
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Eric H Bowen

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm

I work with legacy media...VHS captures and Super 8/Regular 8mm film scans. With such limited image information, it's important to me to keep the image quality as high as possible as far into the processing workflow as possible.

I'm requesting that you add additional native support for AVI file codecs, specifically the lossless HuffyUV 4:2:2 codec. It would also be a plus for me personally if Resolve could recognize and support 32 and 64 bit RGBA AVI files as exported by the Moviestuff Retroscan 2K software package.
--------Eric H. Bowen
DaVinci Resolve 15.2.2.007 (Free) Render machine: Asrock AB350 motherboard; AMD Ryzen 7-1700 CPU; 32 GB RAM; NVidia GTX1050 GPU; Windows 10 Pro; 1 TB M.2 SSD + 2 TB RAID0 + 2 HDD docks. Normal sources: 720p 8mm film and 720x480 tape

Nathan Morgan

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 3:14 am

It would be nice if there was a visual indicator on the timeline of when a clip was a Subclip.

Also a nice feature would be if you could click on a timeline and change all Subclips to use "full clip extents". Once I am into the finishing stage of a project I don't want/need my clips to be limited and I find myself questioning if I have extra handles on a clip when I am trying to roll out shots.

Another option might be that the GUI would show the length of the full clip but have a designation for what parts of the clip are in the sub and what part is in the full clip.
Desktop Video 12.0

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Gary Hango wrote:In-app notifications require an internet connection.

True. Obviously, such a system wouldn't work for those facilities that are offline.

That doesn't mean the idea has no value for those of us that are connected.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Val Gameiro wrote:I can't think of a reason why I'd want the same file more than once in the same project.

That doesn't mean no one can think of a reason.

Perhaps more attention paid to what you're doing is the better solution on this one.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Michael Tiemann wrote:
[*] AutoSave/Live Save interrupts ANYTHING happening

I have not found that to be true. The system works perfectly for me on Windows. Has in every version with the Live Save feature.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Eric H Bowen wrote:I'm requesting that you add additional native support for AVI file codecs

I would also find it useful for Resolve to tap into the VfW framework, so that any installed codecs just work, for both import and export.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Gary Hango

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Gary Hango wrote:In-app notifications require an internet connection.

True. Obviously, such a system wouldn't work for those facilities that are offline.

That doesn't mean the idea has no value for those of us that are connected.

I still think a mass email notification would work the best. Maybe when you register to download the software have a checkbox to put your email address in the update notification database (not checking the box keeps you off the database or deletes your email from it if you’re already on it).
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve