OWC 480GB SSD not working in Hyperdeck Shuttle heads up

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Derek Fremd

OWC 480GB SSD not working in Hyperdeck Shuttle heads up

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 3:07 pm

I bought an OWC 480GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD Model OWCSSD7P6G480 to use in my Hyperdeck Shuttle. Formatted drive on my Macbook Pro and it does not work in the Hyperdeck. No lights, nothing. The SSD does read and write fine on my MacBook. I've tried every formatting option. I called OWC and they have no clue why. My older SanDisk Extreme SSD works fine in the Hyperdeck. Just a heads up.

Xtreemtec

Re: OWC 480GB SSD not working in Hyperdeck Shuttle heads up

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 7:49 pm

Is the OWC on the Approved SSD list for the Hyperdeck? Becasue the Hyperdeck Shuttle was very picky about the drives it would take.

Also depending on the firmware you are running and if it is a Shuttle or a Shuttle V2?? Exfat or Xxx formatted?!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Derek Fremd

Re: OWC 480GB SSD not working in Hyperdeck Shuttle heads up

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Yes it is on the approved list. It is a Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 v4.2. I tried formatting first in Mac OS extended (journaled) and when that didn't work I tried in ExFAT which also didn't work. I spoke to OWC and they had not heard of this before although they mentioned they updated the processor (I think she said) recently. It's possible this is a one-off problem with this particular drive although it wrote and read perfectly on my MacBook.

I just bought a Samsung EVO 860 and formatted and the deck records & plays perfectly (Pro Res HQ)

Return to Getting Started