DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dermot Shane

Re: DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 7:39 pm

color page / nodes;

is it possiable the channel toggles be addressed with a kb shortcut?

negates the need to use the spliter/combiner in many common situations, faster, simpler way to get to the same end game....

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:color page / nodes;

is it possiable the channel toggles be addressed with a kb shortcut?

negates the need to use the spliter/combiner in many common situations, faster, simpler way to get to the same end game....

Also add individual RGB blends everywhere.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

George Deierling

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 9:34 pm

Subtitles:
Drag a subtitle on a video track and it becomes a title FX.
Drag a title on a subtitle track and it becomes a subtitle (applying track style)

waltervolpatto

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 pm

edit, edit index.

Upon select a single or multiple clips, right click on them, i should be able to change clip color ad if i am in the timeline or add/ remove a flag, or place a marker (that will be placed on the clip art frame 1).

For example, I have a timeline where i can make a filter and find a bunch of clips (vfx in this case) and i want to mark then yellow so i can easily find them in the edit or color page.

Can't do it unless i go shoot by shot and in the timeline i right click and change there
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

waltervolpatto

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 5:28 pm

from Sam:

Well, I may have asked this already but I don't remember having any answer back, so I try again :)

Do you have any idea on how to make a "one track only" grade ?
I mean not the TL grade which applies to every tracks, not a shared node trick or group which would be time consumer, just a grade which would apply to a specific track only in the TL...

To give you an idea, the only thing I see so far is to deactivate or lock any other track > select all clips (which are then on the only unlocked track available) > put them in a group and apply a group post node...
Anything else in mind someone ?

JCStudios

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Hello everyone, I’d like a feature in Resolve 16 that allows an export to jive better with Quicktime for web use. I have a Blackmagic I/O card and an external monitor which looks very close to the viewer on my 2017 5K iMac. However, exports still look different (slight gamma shift with weaker colors) and from what I understand, this is an issue with Quicktime being unable to read the gamma tag or 'header' properly. I know it’s possible for them to make the export the exact same… I mean, Final Cut has it down... If Blackmagic comes up with an option for this in the ‘deliver’ tab (or whatever the implementation), I’ll ditch everything else entirely because I love using Resolve.

I mostly make videos that are viewed on YouTube and as it stands, the only browser that really gets close is Mozilla Firefox. The majority of people view YouTube on their phone and the app (on iPhone, anyway) looks just like it does in Quicktime and if I were to airdrop the video to my phone; washed out and a bit brighter.

I use the Ursa Mini Pro and I love the camera but I just want a way to export the video where it looks consistent enough at least across the majority of my workflow on the Mac - basically the way that Final Cut operates.

Bill Parousis

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 11:04 am

Could the generation of the optimized media be done in the backround? Also could we adjust the % of the cpu utilization so that it doesn't affect the smoothness of the editing process?

studio1492

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 5:28 pm

REQUEST: Being able to see in the list view of the Media Pool:

1. Thumbnail, perhaps beside the icon, or replacing it.
2. Flags (beside the clip name)
3. Clip Color, applied on the font color, or framing the thumbnail

This will help to identify elements on the fly in many cases.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2019-01-05 a las 2.30.12 p. m..png
Captura de pantalla 2019-01-05 a las 2.30.12 p. m..png (39.3 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Michael Tiemann

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Michael Tiemann wrote:
[*] AutoSave/Live Save interrupts ANYTHING happening

I have not found that to be true. The system works perfectly for me on Windows. Has in every version with the Live Save feature.

Let me elaborate: Autosave steals focus when it runs on the Mac, but it does not return focus to the previously active dialog. So whatever text I was typing into my marker window, after an autosave interruption, suddenly become keystrokes in the main timeline window that can have confusion or devastating effects on my project.

It's gotten so bad that I have to disable autosave when the primary task is logging footage with markers and flags. But then I have to remember to re-enable it when I'm doing other tasks that don't involve a lot of text input.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Michael Tiemann

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 6:18 pm

I have a mini panel. It is nice, but it doesn't always tell me the truth. For example, when I have a dynamic keyframe changing values from A to B, the panel does not report the truth to me about what are the instant values of the parameters I'm watching. Instead, it reports the values set by the keyframe and it updates those only when I reach a new keyframe. I wish there were a way for Resolve to show me the actual values of dynamic keyframes as I move frame by frame. Something like "Show interpolated keyframe values".
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Jean Claude

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Personally: no issue with Live Save & Auto Save (1 or 2 Minutes). A single consition (for me) => install a PostgreSQL database ...

And let Davinci Resolve manage this data base ...

to test ... if your system is powerful enough :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Julian Williams

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 8:16 pm

FUSION
GPU Soft Shadows in the OpenGL Renderer
Improved/Updated Particle System (Just buy out Insydium and get XParticles and the renderer or at least buy out Turbulance FD)
Update Fusion Standalone!

FAIRLIGHT
Improve "Rescan" of Sound FX database (I have duplicates)
Mackie control and other controller transport and shuttle controls available in all editors (Fusion, Edit Failight, Deliver, etc)
Resolve Studio, Fusion Studio, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Cinema 4D
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
Mac i9 Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB VRAM, 96GB RAM
Macbook Pro i7 8GB RAM
Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Nathan Morgan

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 am

It would be great if there was a way to use the retime curve / retime controls and have the clip "Stretch to Fit".

When doing finishing in Resolve I often want to adjust the speed of retimes and currently there is no way to do this and maintain clip timing.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Levi3d

PostSun Jan 06, 2019 1:52 am

Just a quick ( :o ) bug list/feature request from tonight's workflow! (and I'll just ammend it as I come up with more)

Mostly Fusion related as I've been diggin into that a bit more.

GENERAL UI: Requests

Interface behaviour - Make clips/time based elements 'sticky' - I use a Wacom tablet/pen, and it's incredibly easy to accidentally move clips a frame or two in the timeline without realising it by brushing past them- if they were more 'sticky', so that you had to actually hold and move before a time change would save an enormous amount of pain! The same goes for scrubbing through values - foro example, changing the position of a clip in it's transition ppg, by sliding the value, it often leaps by a large increment as you release the pen - making it unusable.

A background process monitor would be really useful (as per FCP) - See what's rendering and what progress - I found it helped be adjust my workflow in FCP to make things run smother - and you know when to just hang on and let it finish processing for a couple of minutes, before diving back in.

The ability to switch the viewer to display any stage in the pipeline you choose allowing you to see the output of a specific stage, whilst making changes in another. So I could be looking at the output of glow node my fusion comp, or even in a sub comp nested under that, whilst colour correcting one of the layers, or changing the timing of a layer in the fusion compound clip whilst viewing the final output - this would be superbly powerful. (In a similar way that, in after effects, you can lock the viewer to a certain comp, and change underlying comps, with the results of changes being seen in context of the locked view)

More flexible UI layout editing. Some of the layouts are really counter intuitive for me. More flexible/customisable layout PLEASE!!!! It can be infuriating. Dual layout Fusion is probably the worst case, with the occasionally used animation curve editor taking up almost half the screen space, whilst the viewer, nodes and timeline are squashed into the other half - Flexibility with the layout (as per AE/Nuke etc) would be ideal, but if not, then make the viewer larger (it's pretty important in compositing), and give the nodes more space - some comps can get pretty big. Every view should have the option to have the timeline spanning both screens of a dual screen layout etc

FUSION REQUEST:

Support for distributing rendering across a render-farm - I use 3D animation, AE etc all of which can be sent to my renderfarm - the massive bottleneck in the pipeline is resolve at the moment - even though it's the main workhorse! Command line rendering would mean that I could finally get projects rendering through render management software like Deadline!

Bring the fusion timeline (as you open in edit) into the fusion interface, so that changes to the timings on layers can be done within fusion. Exactly the same workflow as exists, but with a reduced version of the timeline accessible within the fusion interface - simply a mirror of the timeline you get when you go back into the compound fusion clip in edit. This would be very, very powerful.

Add the option of a Pre-Fusion Colour correction, in the same way you have pre-clip, clip, post clip and timeline grades. Not least because the ability to use the superior noise reduction and clean up capabilities of the Colour page before keying would be extremely, extremely useful.

More options and control on the saver nodes - timing, offsets, frame padding, output formats etc - something like the write node in Nuke! - Nuke also has the ability to simultaneously output a proxy/rescaled etc version from the same node, which can be very handy. - Also a render-queue for the saver nodes, as sometimes you may only need render one stage of a comp, not the entire tree, or you may want to stack up multiple servers to render in one batch whilst you go down the pub... (although the renderfarm bit would help here)

Clone fusion nodes - (Also as per Nuke) - Instead of having numerous copies of, say, a blur node that you may need to adjust, have the ability to clone a node - simply a copy of the node whose controls are all linked to each other - so if you adjust the blur level in one node, it changes across all the cloned instances (this could even be expanded to aadd a 'shared node'. that acts in the same way as the shared nodes do in colour, allowing the changes to happen across multiple fusion comps.

The ability to simple add a midway point on the connector lines in the node view, to allow you to organise the node layout more effectively - again, as Nuke does - so instead of having connectors at angles all over the window, you can 'break' the line into sections with pivot point, so you can make the line a right angle etc (It may sound basic, but it makes a huge difference). These 'break' points can also be used as basic connector points (much like having multiple outputs from a node - I Haven't got nuke here but . will try to post image)

FUSION: Bugs

When using 'Saver' nodes, i often (almost always) get write errors if i just go to render them out, usually on the first frame or so. They only succeed if I first play/cache the timeline - then itt writes out, otherwise, I get an error (Warning! Render did not complete!). In general the saver/read workflow needs a good overhaul. EDIT - The bug still persists, but seems to be linked to having a 'media out' node downstream. If you disconnect the media out node from the end of the tree, the sequences appear to render out (Not ideal, as sometimes both are required)

When copying/pasting fusion comps, the media in nodes do not update or refresh automatically, and truncates or misses the media (I think it's retains the in/out from the previous comp instead of looking at the media in the current comp) - often I have delete and create new ones. It's a major pain as instead of a quick copy and paste, you end up rebuilding.

Similarly Saver nodes don't copy/paste (often you want to copy/paste sections of a comp, and then just change an increment in the saver)

Disable node - some nodes appear to still process even if disabled (it doesn;t pipe the result through, but seems to process)

There appears to be some instability with copy and paste in general. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Using a mask leaves a line represnting it's edge in the alpha (see the thread in the main forum)

GENERAL ISSUES

I have still had occasions where the message about not being able to write out frames crops up. Also I've had other instances where output has been inconsistent (Black frames, random lines etc).

I'm relatively new to Resolve, so some of these may have been implemented, but I haven't discovered them yet!

(on Mac pro 2013, BTW)
Last edited by Levi3d on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:13 am, edited 6 times in total.

Levi3d

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 am

One other - can the whole interface not completely take over the desktop, forcing you to have to hide Rsolve, or tab through to try to access any other app?

Sometimes, when you are running a preview or some such, you may want to use another app, browse the web etc

waltervolpatto

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 am

this thread should be a sticky every year...

Denis Pilon

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 pm

1- In Inspector, you can’t add spline curve for Position X & Y parameters ( I’m waiting for this for a while )
2- Need a shortcut for Change clip speed
3- Need a shortcut for View Safe title ( And put in in the GUI, you have a lot of space )
4- 30p HD is not real time when I playing DPX 10 bit files ( Realtime in Clipster Fuze )
5- With Show Individual Frames ON, what can I do to stop a link to a long DPX sequence. For the moment, the system loop and I have to quit the application.
6- Our QC department use Resolve to verify our DPX files from online, but they need files without clipping. Because Resolve all the time clip the source in timeline, it will be good to have an option in parameters that force the source to be Unclipping ( On or OFF )
7- It will be good that Loop in Edit page works like the way in Color page. So easy to work in Color page.
8- In Fusion, when you view around north, south, east, west, in VR mode by 360 View/Auto, you need a way to reset view to 0,0,0 to show to you the default view, like the way that Premiere Pro do.
9- In Fusion, in VR mode, you need to enable the use of different rifts, like Oculus, etc. like standalone Fusion software.
10- You need to add VR preset for 2:1 timeline resolution like 2048 X 1024, 4096 X 2048, 8192 X 4096 and optimum performance in those resolutions.
11- Resolve 15.1.2 crash a lot with Dust Buster. I have my Background caches set to 5 seconds. I saw in the Resolve forum that you have to put 15 or 20 sec. in Background caches, is it the solution to prevent crashes?
12- DNR is not working in Timeline Node.
13- Italic subtitles need to have the same Anchor adjustment as the normal subtitles and need stroke and drop shadow adjustments too.
14- In subtitles, need to have an Inside and/or Outside stroke.
15- In subtitles, need to have a way to copy your personal templates for other projects that need subtitles.
16- In subtitles, when you have Arabic subtitles, subtitles don’t show in timeline, but appear in Inspector/Captions. For your information, when I export them as SRT file, they appear OK in my SRT file. The other problem is they appear in reverse way. You need to implement the Right to Left option to reverse sentence.
Resolve 18.0.4 Build 5
Desktop Video 12.2.0
Supermicro PC 7048GR-TR
Win 10 Pro
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W/10-Core 3.1GHz
RAM: 128GB
Maxwell RTX-3090 & 3060
Driver 511.65
Avid Artist DNxIO
System storage: 512GB SSD
Storage: Accusys Exasan 96TB total/RAID5

studio1492

Improvements to the EQ window on Fairlight

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 12:45 pm

- Currently, moving the EQ band number on the graphic display changes the axis freq/gain. Why not modify the Q factor while holding the CMD key + moving the mouse?
- Spectrum analizer over the Equalizer graphic space.
- Solo a given band to listen the affected spectrum zone.

Many ideas can be taken from the fabulous Fabfilter Pro-Q3:
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2019-01-09 a las 1.38.38 p. m..png
Captura de pantalla 2019-01-09 a las 1.38.38 p. m..png (31.49 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Peter Benson

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:Please make "Switching Clip Selects" a global settting. Quite annoying to set it to what I want, then switch timelines and find that it has changed to something else.
Or would it be better still -- if it were both, a local option *and* a global option, at the user's choosing?
[Re]Pete
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:It would be great if there was a way to use the retime curve / retime controls and have the clip "Stretch to Fit".

That is the way all methods for changing clip speed should work.

Yes, you may need to move a clip to a clear track. That's just the way it is.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 5:54 pm

In Media Screen, "Create New Multicam Clip Using Selected Clips" the dialog should remember the last settings used instead showing always the default settings.

Everytime I create a multicam (which is very often) I've to set my custom settings again and again. Those settings are always the same due to my workflow, but totally different than the default DVR settings.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2019-01-09 a las 6.50.38 p. m..png
Captura de pantalla 2019-01-09 a las 6.50.38 p. m..png (53.56 KiB) Viewed 7991 times
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

xunile

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Levi3d wrote:Just a quick ( :o ) bug list/feature request from tonight's workflow!

Clone fusion nodes - (Also as per Nuke) - Instead of having numerous copies of, say, a blur node that you may need to adjust, have the ability to clone a node - simply a copy of the node whose controls are all linked to each other - so if you adjust the blur level in one node, it changes across all the cloned instances (this could even be expanded to aadd a 'shared node'. that acts in the same way as the shared nodes do in colour, allowing the changes to happen across multiple fusion comps.

I'm relatively new to Resolve, so some of these may have been implemented, but I haven't discovered them yet!

(on Mac pro 2013, BTW)

You can copy a node and then choose to paste an Instance, which basically has the functionality of what you are asking of a cloned node.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Peter Benson

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Nathan Morgan wrote:It would be great if there was a way to use the retime curve / retime controls and have the clip "Stretch to Fit".

That is the way all methods for changing clip speed should work.

Yes, you may need to move a clip to a clear track. That's just the way it is.
Woah. Surely you can think of scenarios wherein "Stretch to Fit" would be wholly undesirable. No?
[Re]Pete
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Jeff Brass

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 pm

Render individual clips WITH timeline audio option. PLEASE PLEASE (cant find an "on my knees begging" emoji)
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Denis Scholvien

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 am

Some Fairlight suggestions:

First of all, a +1 from me for points that were already mentioned:

- "Sound FX library to actually have a visual list of what`s inside."

Currently, we can just search. But it would be great to also have a folder list from my HD that simply lets you select a folder (either for searching in that folder only or for simply browsing the contents of this folder). Most sound browsers give you both ways and I think that is the fastest and best workflow to find sounds fast.

- "There is a lot of wasted display space in Fairlight Meters, showing more than 40 meters even when one is using at max 5 or 6 audio channels. A great idea would be to add a "Spectrum Analizer", which is the "audio vectroscope" equivalent, and a couple of "Classic console" analog VUmeters which is the industry’s classic metering method."

I also agree with this one. I'm not sure about the suggested replacement but I would also agree that there is a lot of wasted space in the meters section because it always displays the full row of about 40 meters when mostly I'm using 10 at max. So an option to customize that section somehow would be great.

- ASIO support.

- Most vst instruments open in Davinci already, not just effects. Even where there is not going to be any Midi for now, can there be a way to for example record the output of a VST instrument into a Fairlight track?
Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2 - Win 10 - i7-8700, 32GB RAM, GTX1070

Richard Dean

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:03 am

Please allow Fairlight to work with Izotope RX Connect.

I think it's important for Fairlight to work as seamlessly as possible with a specialized repair program.

While Fairlight's FX work, for the most demanding situations Izotope's stand alone app is needed.
This would also take the pressure off Izotopes own plug in's not always working well in Resolve.
And for mixers from other platforms to feel comfortable knowing they can easily send tracks to RX.

And It could be implemented better than it is in Protools. Fairlight would keep the original file and each RX version stacked like the VO function has. This would allow quick audio fixes in RX, which could be refined later as needed.

I'd also like to see BMD additional audio hardware controller in a smaller footprint with less tracks/editing functions geared towards editors, not dedicated audio workstations as the current hardware is.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 am

Richard Dean wrote:Please allow Fairlight to work with Izotope RX Connect.
The External Audio Processes functionality renders RX Connect obsolete, allowing for a much more seamless workflow between Resolve and RX.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=81992#p454824

Fairlight would keep the original file and each RX version stacked like the VO function has. This would allow quick audio fixes in RX, which could be refined later as needed.
This is the current implementation of the External Audio Processes functionality, already available in version 15.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79216#p439119

Thimiost

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 am

Full mpg support.
Both import and export

PieroLass

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 10:24 am

It could be very usefull to have the possibility to flatten syncronised clip just like you can do with multicam clip. So you can have on timeline the original audio file with his name and you can use it where you want. The delivery to pro tools doesn't work well with syncronised clip, since you can't get outside davinci any metadata or link to the original audio file. So if you need to do a round trip withg syncronised clip is impossible since you lost metadata and link to the original audio file, this possibility could be a possible solution. Right know you are in trouble since aaf delivery makes mxf with name from video clip and you lost any data from audio files!!!!

Peter Benson

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Denis Scholvien wrote:Some Fairlight suggestions:

First of all, a +1 from me for points that were already mentioned:

- "Sound FX library to actually have a visual list of what`s inside."

Currently, we can just search. But it would be great to also have a folder list from my HD that simply lets you select a folder (either for searching in that folder only or for simply browsing the contents of this folder). Most sound browsers give you both ways and I think that is the fastest and best workflow to find sounds fast.

- "There is a lot of wasted display space in Fairlight Meters, showing more than 40 meters even when one is using at max 5 or 6 audio channels. A great idea would be to add a "Spectrum Analizer", which is the "audio vectroscope" equivalent, and a couple of "Classic console" analog VUmeters which is the industry’s classic metering method."

I also agree with this one. I'm not sure about the suggested replacement but I would also agree that there is a lot of wasted space in the meters section because it always displays the full row of about 40 meters when mostly I'm using 10 at max. So an option to customize that section somehow would be great.

- ASIO support.

- Most vst instruments open in Davinci already, not just effects. Even where there is not going to be any Midi for now, can there be a way to for example record the output of a VST instrument into a Fairlight track?
Nice suggestions for Fairlight Guys!
[Re]Pete

waltervolpatto

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 pm

in the new ACES OFX transform, shouldn't I be able to go from Alexa to ACEScc in one node, do something, and go back from ACEScc to ALEXA?

I saw an instance where the project was worked in Alexa color space non RMC, but for whatever reasons the CDL form the set where in ACEScc.

it should be reversible.

Levi3d

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 1:40 am

xunile wrote:
Levi3d wrote:Just a quick ( :o ) bug list/feature request from tonight's workflow!

(on Mac pro 2013, BTW)

You can copy a node and then choose to paste an Instance, which basically has the functionality of what you are asking of a cloned node.

Ah, brilliant - thanks, I knew some of them would be my lack of knowledge! Still, be nice to just have it as a one click/shortcut

Syrzyk

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 am

waltervolpatto wrote:edit, edit index.

Upon select a single or multiple clips, right click on them, i should be able to change clip color ad if i am in the timeline or add/ remove a flag, or place a marker (that will be placed on the clip art frame 1).

For example, I have a timeline where i can make a filter and find a bunch of clips (vfx in this case) and i want to mark then yellow so i can easily find them in the edit or color page.

Can't do it unless i go shoot by shot and in the timeline i right click and change there

That's more or less what I requested few weeks before - simply selecting clips in edit index should select them on timeline as well. Thus flagging them, dragging onto other tracks, etc. would be possible.

Add edit index column sorting and separating different cameras to different tracks/flags/whatever would be so easy.
DR Studio 18.1.3 Build 8
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz
Windows 10 Pro x64
32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, "Studio" driver 528.02
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, driver 12.4.2

Robert Arnold

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 7:38 pm

This is one that would help immensely with the conform process:

When I'm conforming a job, I set the Reference Wipe Mode to Offline and the Wipe Mode to difference.The when I turn on Play Still I get black wherever the timeline matches the offline and can easily find conform problems. BUT, this necessitates stepping through every single clip in the timeline. What would be great is if there were a "Conform Check" (or maybe "Offline Compare"?) button in the LIghtbox that would basically do the same thing to the thumbnails in the Lightbox - running a difference operation between them and the corresponding frame of the offline. This would allow the user to quickly scroll through the thumbnails in the Lightbox and see at a glance where there are clips that need attention.

Tony Hailstone

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm

My wishlist of features and bug fixes:

1. More flexible export options in the deliver page: being able to aim for a target size (or at least know estimated size) or set the quality more finely, similar to ffmpeg.
2. An optional key to prevent horizontal slipping of footage. It's incredibly easy to accidentally move a clip on a 4K monitor. I would like a key I could set that I'd need to press to allow me to move anything (but important it being optional as some editors would probably hate that)
3. Ability to access audio track effects from mixer panel within the edit tab rather than opening the audio tab just to add basics like compression, limiter etc
4. Faster waveform displays. Even on a high end system, this can bog down editing as it will rebuild everytime when you change zoom level and make an edit. It should build it once and remember it.
5. Improved performance for high frame rate footage in a lower rate timeline (e.g. 50p in a 25p timeline). Usually this can be a bit stuttery
6. Ability to change timeline frame rate on the fly, not having to completely redo a project if you set it wrong and start editing. This is crazy.
7. Flexible UI - move panels where I want them
8. Stable NVENC. This is a train wreck in 15.2.2 with frequent crashes failed renders.
9. Improved audio syncing. I have genuinely never managed to get Resolve to sync audio across dozens of projects. Using Plural Eyes using same files works every time.
10. Ability to copy colour grades without losing stabilisation effects already applied (this might already be possible but can't figure it out)
11. Improved titling. I don't find it user friendly. Could do with dumbing down
12. Usage should automatically update and display in media. It's mad you have to do this manually each time you use something.
13. Simplified setup/export settings for HDR. It's a bit of a headache.
System: 16 core (24 thread) Intel i9 13900K, 64GB Ram DDR5 3200, M.2 NVME System Drive, M2. NVME Project Drive, RTX 4090

TyBailey

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 pm

After just finishing a little project I would love to see these two things:

1. Link the reference video frame to the waveform. I was balancing skin tones and had to mask out the areas necessary just to reflect that on my waveform/vectorscope. I just want to be able to zoom in on that area in my reference frame and have my scopes reflect just what is being shown on the reference. Perhaps that works well with additional scope peripherals, but I don't have those tools and often times work on the go with a portable setup.

2. I would absolutely LOVE if I could export my clips in the XML format, but program that each clip exports additional frames on the head and foot of each shot. I always round trip back to my NLE for final exports because I add transitions and extra effects that aren't available in Resolve. These effects don't translate from my NLE into Resolve through XML so I have to add them after the fact, usually. Of course, effects like transitions require extra frames in order to apply the effect properly. So what I've had to do is find all the areas where I need the extra frames and just export those shots individually out of Resolve with the required amount of frames. It would be so much smoother if they just each exported maybe, an additional 30 frames on each end of the shot.

Jean Claude

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 11:42 am

Hello,

Possibility to have for BMD OFX a load / save preset (as in BMD FairlightFX).

Thank you.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

studio1492

Change the order of the audio effects cascade

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am

REQUEST: On Fairlight, I want to change the order of the audio effects cascade on the fly, by dragging and dropping them to re-sort them.

For example: if my last edit was: Multi-Band Compressor->Noise-Reduction->De-Esser

and I need to move the Multi_Band Compressor at the end of the cascade, give a way to drop it to the end, or re-sort it to any other Pre-Post position against the other effects.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2019-01-12 a las 12.42.10 p. m..png
Captura de pantalla 2019-01-12 a las 12.42.10 p. m..png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 7666 times
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

julian_b

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 3:28 pm

FFmpeg support
Since we are now able to use ffmpeg in Fusion to import more video formats (even .mkv! I've never seen an NLE being able to import mkv!), I thought maybe we could have that feature in Resolve too?

Theodor Groeneboom

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Levi3d wrote:Ah, brilliant - thanks, I knew some of them would be my lack of knowledge! Still, be nice to just have it as a one click/shortcut

Ctrl-c
Ctrl-shift-v

It’s also visible when you right click the node graph.

Reynaud Venter

Re: Change the order of the audio effects cascade

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

studio1492 wrote:On Fairlight, I want to change the order of the audio effects cascade on the fly, by dragging and dropping them to re-sort them
give a way to drop it to the end, or re-sort it to any other Pre-Post position against the other effects.
Currently, this may be achieved via the Inspector.

studio1492

Re: Change the order of the audio effects cascade

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
studio1492 wrote:On Fairlight, I want to change the order of the audio effects cascade on the fly, by dragging and dropping them to re-sort them
give a way to drop it to the end, or re-sort it to any other Pre-Post position against the other effects.
Currently, this may be achieved via the Inspector.

Thanks! Much appreciated!
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

Markers Enhacements

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 pm

- The ability of copy/cut/paste Markers using the standard CMD-C CMD-V CMD-X when a marker is selected, including all its attributes (duration, name, color, keywords, notes) except time, and between timelines and clips, indepently of its source. This will save to redefine Markers with repeating attributes each time is created, for editors that make a special use of marking on some given workflows.

- The ability move a marker from the timeline to a clip, or viceversa, by dragging it.

- The ability of duplicate a marker by holding the ALT key while dragging it to a different position. Then be able to place its copy to the timeline or to a clip, indepently of its source.

- To crown things off, the ability of pasting markers attributes to already existing markers, and using the same shortcut than "paste clip attributes".

- The Name of the Marker shows up constantly displayed inside markers with extended duration, within the coloured space resulting from the duration space (when the name has been modified and is different than the default "marker #")

- Also give the option to constantly show up the Marker's Name over each markers both the clips and timelines, when it's default "marker #" name has been modified.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

A quick way to create transitions

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 pm

When hovering or selecting a clip, there are two little white markers at the In-Out point, and when dragged inside the clip it applies a fade in or fade out.

My proposal is that when a clip is beside another clip, dragging this white fade marker outside (and not inside) the clip while stepping on its neighbourg clip will issue a transition between both clips. So with one single click, the user can input both the transtition command and its duration on the fly. Holding the alt key will make the trick to apply the duration crossed between both clips or applied over the source clip only.

This proposal is for both audio and video clips.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Denis Scholvien

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 pm

When doing finishing in Resolve I often want to adjust the speed of retimes and currently there is no way to do this and maintain clip timing.

+1 with a few additions

First of all, currently you can use the retime controls on any track in the editing view only it seems. You cannot use it in the Fairlight view. So if I want to stretch or shorten an audio clip only (without video), I need to go to editing view, and use the retime controls there, even when I'm only retiming audio. Why is that?

2nd thing that would be great is to make a specific range of audio automatically stretch to a specific range/length of video. I am not aware that is possible, or is it? So let's say I have a video, then import an audio track. And now I want to stretch that audio track to the length of the video clip exactly. Currently, I would go to editing view, stretch audio, then check how close I am to the video length, then go back to retime controls and increase or lower the % until it fits. That cannot be the right process I guess.
Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2 - Win 10 - i7-8700, 32GB RAM, GTX1070

mikedkelly

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Please handle exceptions from inadequate hardware gracefully instead of crashing

There are many threads of crashes in Resolve, which tend to be the result of under-powered hardware. In my opinion, Resolve should either refuse to start and provide an alert to the end-user that their hardware is not supported, or it should be able to queue the processing requests without crashing. When I first used Resolve 14 with an under-powered machine, my 4K footage would stutter during scrubbing and take a long time to render transitions and effects, but it never crashed. This should be Resolves behavior on the tasks that are being reported by others. Running a game on an under-powered machine simply results in low frame rates, not crashes. Resolve should behave in a similar manner, or at least trap and report memory and GPU errors to the end-user without crashing the application.

-----------------------
Resolve Studio 18.5 Beta 3
CPU: Intel i9-13950HX
RAM: 32GB
GPU: RTX 4090 16GB
Driver: Nvidia Studio 531.61

Jack Swart

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Copy and paste transitions with all their values.
If you have created a transition with many parameters such as is possible with OFX, then being able to copy and paste this in the timeline would be a huge timesaver.
FCP7 could do this and I miss this function.

2. Compound clips still have no alpha so the background disappears.
Really annoying.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Nathan Morgan

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 12:23 am

It would be great if there was a option or a way to grab filler along with clips. I realize that it would be problematic to make this the default, but when doing ripple deletes it really throws things off if you have a clip on V2 and a gap on V1 as DaVinci will leave the spaces for those V1 timeline gaps.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

cadeg_rsh

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 8:05 am

Sorry, but this forum branch are official feature request or just enthusiasts wish?
Where normal board with vote on feature?

aerofart

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 5:48 pm

1) More efficient use of the GPU/CPU
2) Improvements to keyframing
3) More fine control of curves, larger curves window, curve window with underlaid scopes (waveforms, histograms, etc)
4) Fix audio bug when syncing 96kHz/24-bit audio source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve