Atem TV studio pro hd and HDMI sources

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Simon Farndon

Atem TV studio pro hd and HDMI sources

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi All.

I'm fairly new to ATEM stuff and have scoured the FAQ section and other posts and still need a little guidance.

I'm trying to connect 3 SJCam 4000 action cams via HDMI to my ATEM. The mini hdmi output shows up if I plug straight into a monitor of TV. They have also worked fine in the past when using a Roland V1-HD. I understand from my searching that they may not output enough voltage to show up as a source. I fed one through a HDMI/CAT 5 range extender to boost the output but still no luck. I also attached my PC via HDMI to adjust the output/frame rate etc and that didn't show up either. I have no SDI source to check that any of those work. I believe it may be a frame rate/video output issue.

Questions;

If I used a HDMI-SDI converter would that allow me to match video output to that of the ATEM?
What could be the issue stopping the desktop display showing up?
With everything connected and running the control software, I only see "Blackmagic SDI" in the input mapping screen, no option to change to HDMI shows up. Am I missing something?

All help gratefully received (and yes I know the SJcams are cheap thats why I bought them not the gopros! ;) )

Chris Murch

Re: Atem TV studio pro hd and HDMI sources

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 am

Are you matching the output of the action cams to the input resolution of the TV Studio?

I do not know what the output via the HDMI port on those particular cameras are but more than likely something along the lines of either 1080i50, 1080p23.97, 1080p24 or 1080p60.

When you connect it to a tv and press the info button on the remote, does it show what resolution it is outputting? Generally it is down the bottom of the screen in the info bar.

If you can find that out, set the ATEM input to the same and it should work fine.

Hope that helps!

/Edit: I just checked their manual and also the website, although it doesn't say what the HDMI output is, I would bet it is going to either be 1080p30 or 720p30.

Simon Farndon

Re: Atem TV studio pro hd and HDMI sources

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 am

It is as suspected. The SJCam output was differing to the ATEM. I've ran it through an up/down/cross converter and had much better luck! Thanks for your help!

Return to Live Production