Ultimatte 12 / Green Screen

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

RRalota

Ultimatte 12 / Green Screen

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Good morning,

I am using the Ultimatte 12 along w/ the Smart Video Hub 40X40 (and the BMD Micro Studio 4k).

After going through the manual for the Ultimatte, and connecting the sdi cables for FG and BG, I was able to get to the point where my FG (cam1 in this example) was correctly on top of the BG (cam3) BUT only if the matte was set to red (cubicle dividers are red).

When I tried to use a portable green screen, and changed the matte to green, I only the FG.

I did the File Clear on the Ultimatte, and tried to manually set the matte via the config settings in the software. When I change the matte from red to green (with nothing in front of the green screen) I get the error "Invalid Screen Sample".

I tried to google that error, but nothing is coming up. (I've also reboot the Ultimatte)

Any suggestions on what I may have missed ?

RRalota

Re: Ultimatte 12 / Green Screen

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 5:07 pm

(forgot to add that I am using the Smart Remote 4)

Ron Ungerman

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 7:02 pm

When the error, "Invalid Screen Sample".appears
Your green screen might be underexposed; you can open up the Iris or add more light to the green screen.
Or use the Screen Sample in the Matte menu: Select Screen Sample>Dual Cursor(off)>Wall Cursor Position>use Cursor Position Horizontal knob and Cursor Position Vertical Knob to position the crosshair on the green screen>select Sample Wall. You should now see a composite.

RRalota

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Thank you for the response.

I tried to manually set the matte,as per the manual, but still get the same error.

I haven't tried the iris, or the sample matte in the way you explained.

So will give that a try.

Much appreciated. :)

RRalota

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 7:56 pm

Ok.

As per your suggestions (thank you again), I bumped up the iris (using the BMD ATEM Camera Control Panel) and made sure the master black was at 0, and still had the same error when selecting green as the BG.

Using your instructions to manually sample the GS seems to have worked. Now I just have to clean up the artifacting, as the FG isn't quite super sharp and the BG is "pixelated"

Back to the manual !! :)

Ron Ungerman

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Which BMD camera are you using? In the ATEM Camera control, I would also set the Detail to (off) and if you can put a white card in front of the GS and do an auto white balance, this will help the GS area.

RRalota

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 2:06 pm

I'm using the BMD Micro Studio 4k, with a Olympus 14-42mm M.Zuiko f/3.5-5.6 Digital ED EZ Lens.

(the reason for this style of lens is for the content they want to create, and they also want to have the sharp focus for the onscreen talent with the soft / hazy background)

Ron Ungerman

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 6:05 pm

The BMD Micro Studio 4K will work out best if you use the SDI output, not the HDIM output. This camera does not have an auto white balance, so make sure that you set the White Balance on the camera to match your lights on the GS. For the best results for the Ultimatte 12, I would use the lowest gain setting on the Micro Studio 4K camera as you can, the camera can go as low as -12db hopefully you will be able to use -6 or 0db

RRalota

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm only using SDI.

I'll try your suggestions for the camera settings. (really appreciate the help)

Jack Fairley

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 7:45 pm

We use that camera with an Ulimatte 11 with good results. As Ron says, results will be much better on low gain, which requires a lot of light on the screen. Rather than auto-detect the key color, I always manually select some area near the subject, and then use the controls to adjust the key and output until I am satisfied.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

RRalota

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Pretty sure the area where I am testing the GS doesn't have enough / proper lighting.

I've bumped the camera down to 0 gain, and can get a decent picture output, but there is still a lot of artifacting in the background (especially around the corners that are not as well lit as the center of the screen), not to mention the hotspots on my face.

Getting closer to working it out.

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 pm

You need the area of the screen that is visible in the camera to be evenly lit, otherwise yiu are going to have issues. This is the first p, most basic step in setting up a chroma key, the background screen is the key, and need even lighting at about .5 to 1- stop less light than the key light on the subject.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

RRalota

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Yeah. The area I'm currently testing in has crappy lighting.

I am able to get a good picture for the BG and FG now, after tweaking many of the manual adjusts, but can definitely see that bad lighting = bad GS / BG effects.

Great suggestions and clarifications from all !! Thank you. (I'm sure you'll hear from me again, probably about the ATEM 2 M/E panel that is coming to replace the ATEM 1 M/E advanced)

Return to Live Production