Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Planar perspective tracking in Camera Tracker?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ville Pakarinen

Planar perspective tracking in Camera Tracker?

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm getting familiar with fusion in the hope of eventually not needing anything outside of Resolve to finish projects.

I'm wondering what "Planar" means in the tracker type of Camera Tracker.

If I choose "Persp" as the "Pattern Distortion Type", does Fusion create planes behind the scenes and track them based on the perspective change in the shot? If this is the case, can I somehow visualize those planes instead of just viewing regular tracking points?

Sander de Regt

Re: Planar perspective tracking in Camera Tracker?

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Planar tracking means that instead of points/dots you can track items that are (roughly) planar, like floors, posters, windows etc
This will allow you to replace/patch/touch up the areas that you've tracked with correct perspective etc.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ville Pakarinen

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 am

Hmmm, I know how planar tracking works. What I was asking was: what's the significance of planar trackers in camera tracker, since camera tracker works by a completely different principle than planar tracking?

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 8:02 am

Right. I didn't read your question correctly.
To be honest, I have no idea. Up until now I've always used the default settings.

This is what the manual says about it:

New Track Defaults:
There are three methods in which the Camera Tracker Tool can analyze the scene and
each has its own strengths when dealing with certain types of camera movement.
‚‚ Tracker: Internally, all the Trackers use the Optical Flow Tracker to follow features
over time and then further refine the tracks with the trusted Fusion Tracker or Planar
Tracker. The Planar Tracker method allows the pattern to warp over time by various
types of transforms to find the best fit. These transforms are:
Translation
Translation and Rotation
Translation, Rotation, and Scale
Affine
Perspective
It is recommended to use the default TRS setting when using the Planar Tracker.
The affine and perspective settings need large patterns in order to track accurately.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 9:08 am

My guess is that planar features are somewhat similar to planar surfaces in SynthEyes and Mocha and 3DE, but instead of creating them manually, camera tracker initializes them on 2d features automatically. In 3DEqualizer there is an option to track 2d features using not only translational matching but also rotation, scale and perspective, to match better in areas where patterns rotate etc. But as manual is very vague in this, it can be something completely different.
I do stuff

Return to Fusion