Prores - Film Vs. Video Setting

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Stephen Folker

Prores - Film Vs. Video Setting

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 1:20 pm

When shooting in prores is there a big advantage to shooting in film mode vs. video? I know with film it's more desaturated for grading in post. Is that the only advantage.

Then with viewing mode, there is same option. So, If I shoot in FILM mode and set view option to VIDEO, is that just so I don't accidently expose scene wrong cause it's so desaturated?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Stephen Folker on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamroberts

Re: Prores Dynamic Vs. Film

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 2:02 pm

In tests I've found that Film mode hold more detail in the highlights.

Shooting the same scene with the same exposure setting in Video and Film mode then applying the Rec.709 LUT in Resolve to the Film mode footage. The final image is very similar but there is more detail and dynamic range in the highlights.

The same has been the case while beta testing the Antler Post's BMCC Video-Rec.709 Plugin for FCPX.
http://www.adamroberts.net/blog/blackma ... tler-post/

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Prores - Film Vs. Video Setting

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Stephenfolker wrote:When shooting in prores is there a big advantage to shooting in film mode vs. video? I know with film it's more desaturated for grading in post. Is that the only advantage.

Then with viewing mode, there is same option. So, If I shoot in FILM mode and set view option to VIDEO, is that just so I don't accidently expose scene wrong cause it's so desaturated?

Thanks in advance!

Shoot ProRes/DnxHD in "Video" (Rec. 709) mode perhaps for quick turn-around projects that you don't anticipate benefitting from extensive grading/CC in post.

Shoot ProRes/DnxHD in "Film" (log) mode (like log mode on most popular cinema cameras) for projects that may benefit from a bit more DR at the "expense" of some additional required work in post. BMCC log mode yields about a stop or so better DR than Rec.709. The BMCC's built-in LCD can be set to "Video" mode while recording "Film" mode to make shooting easier.

Shoot BMCC RAW CinemaDNG mode (which is always log) to capture the full DR & color range the camera is capable of recording. RAW is handled differently in post than is ProRes/DNxHD.

On a related note, there's information on how to use BMCC zebras when shooting ProRes in the following thread (read the whole thread):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6722

-

Stephen Folker

PostSun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks for clarification. :)

John Koop

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 1:53 am

That was very helpful for me as well.

Question:
You mentioned CinemaDNG recording. I don't see that as an option in my URSA while I updated the newest firmware.
How can I record in CinemaDNG?

Thanks,

John

Ben McAllister

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 pm

John Koop wrote:That was very helpful for me as well.

Question:
You mentioned CinemaDNG recording. I don't see that as an option in my URSA while I updated the newest firmware.
How can I record in CinemaDNG?

Thanks,

John

Recording RAW will give you CinemaDNG

Return to Cinematography