Dual Control of one ATEM Switcher

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MrsKathiB

Dual Control of one ATEM Switcher

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi there! I'm completely new to this, so please bear with me. I work at a church that broadcasts our services live on Sunday mornings, as well as produce a service for our "in house" experience. Sometimes those are different. Currently we are all in one small control room where we have to either split what goes on our in house screens and what is broadcast, or we "match up" so that they are the same. We are hoping to move our computer that runs ProPresenter slides out of the room and into our sanctuary. Here's where I need your help.

Current Equipment:
ATEM 2 M/E Production Switcher (purchased around 2013)
ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
Mac Computer - OS Sierra 10.12.4

Does this switcher allow for two separate entities (the panel and a separate controller, possibly the StreamDeck) to use the same switcher to produce two different experiences? Ideally, we’d like to be able to have me run the slides and be able to either put up full screen graphics, masked out lower-third graphics, and either a specific camera or whatever is on Program. Can I run the ATEM software on a separate computer without interfering with what is being produced by the panel in the control room?

I hope this makes sense, and I apologize for my lack of understanding. Thank you so much for any help that you can give.

Jack Fairley

Re: Dual Control of one ATEM Switcher

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 2:24 am

You can control the switcher from multiple points. You may be able to use ME1 and ME2 to produce two separate feeds the way you want, but you may run out of keyers, media stores, etc. I would go through your run of show, and translate that into technical requirements, and compare that to the ability of your equipment.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 am

The 2M/E will accept up to 7 ethernet connections, so you can use any combination of ATEM panel, ATEM software computer, Companion computer, 3rd party panel, etc until you hit the 7 connection limit to control the switcher.

This model has 2 different M/E outputs which can indeed be controlled from separate points. As long the two shows can share the same 16 input sources, media pool, etc it is perfectly capable of mixing two independent outputs.

Of note when using in this mode...the DSK can only be used on the M/E 1 output, the tally only works when sources are on the M/E 1 output, and there is only one audio mixer. Also shared would be the one Super Source, and one DVE. If you can live with those limitations then have at it!
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Kevin Copeland

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Yes you can.

Your switcher is like 2 switchers in 1. You have separate outputs on the back for ME1 and ME2. So your broadcast panel could be switching ME1 to your stream. And someone else could be using the ATEM software on a computer to switch ME2 to your screens or whatever.

Keep in mind that you also have 6 AUX outputs and you can switch those as well to another source. These would be cuts only but could give you another different feed somewhere else. But lower thirds would not work here unless you used the mix of ME1 or ME2.

Good luck.
kc

FlannelKnight

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Hey, Just coming across this post. I am basically wanting to know the same question. What did you end up doing? Did you get a second switcher setup or were you able to run everything off of one switcher?
--DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.1.2
--Windows 10 version 1909
--Intel 9900k
--32Gb RAM
--RTX 2070 8GB VRAM
--2x Samsung 970 M.2 Pro 512Gb in Raid 0 with a 4Tb WB Black Storage Drive

MambaFiber.com

PostFri May 22, 2020 6:04 pm

I love when the OP makes ONE post and is never heard from again. Don't hold your breath waiting on an answer...

I rarely have need to do this, but have pulled it off with 1, 2 and 3 systems so know what the pitfalls are. Most of them noted above. If you have a specific need/question about this, post it...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production