Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

.obj file tracking to video in resolve 15 fusion tab

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Cutsom

.obj file tracking to video in resolve 15 fusion tab

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Hello, Blackmagic community.
I have been using DaVinci resolve and fusion for almost a year now but I still can't seem to figure something out just yet. I've watched almost every tutorial for Davinci Resolve 15's fusion tab. I've been trying to get a .obj file to be tracked on the ground of my footage. This is for a school project and would really blow away my teachers. However, I do not have access to The studio versions. So I cannot use the camera tracker. I can only use the regular tracker and planar tracker. Could maybe any1 show me how it could be done? Maybe take a screenshot of the nodes with a little description that would help me out a lot :D . Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have no problem importing it whatsoever I just need to know how to get the tracker data + 3d obj to work and merge it too existing footage.

Bryan Ray

Re: .obj file tracking to video in resolve 15 fusion tab

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Well, it depends greatly on the nature of your shot and the camera move. If your 3d object stays in one spot, and there is a convenient surface or feature near that spot, and the camera does not move too far laterally (such that it would expose the fact that your object is simply flat), then you could get by with a planar or point track.

If you really need a 3d camera, though (and Fusion Studio features are strictly off-limits), your only recourse is going to be to try to find a way to make a track and import it to Fusion. I believe that Blender has a reasonably good 3d tracker, although learning the Blender interface is daunting if you've never used it before. If you go that route, you'd need to export the camera in Alembic format. You could also use FBX, but getting the versions to match right usually takes some trial-and-error. Then import it to Fusion using File > Import > Alembic Scene…
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Cutsom

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 6:51 am

Hey bryan, thanks for your reply. In my shot the camera doesn't move too much and I think that a planar tracking would be just fine other that the nodes just don't connect. I've tried alot of combinations but can't to be able to get my tracking to the object a and then be displayed on my other footage. Do you maybe know how I can? I am still learning alot from the nodes based system and you would help me out alot if you perhaps could post a screenshot on how to posistion the nodes. I have used blender in the past and found it very intimidating but if it is the only option that will have to do. Thanks.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 7:40 am

Maybe you can do a screenrecording of what you're doing, so we can help you better.
From the way you describe your problems right now, it appears that you're still learning Fusion itself in addition to what it is you're trying to do. There is no such thing as 'positioning' the nodes. It's all about connecting one thing to another, but they have to be compatible things.

For example the planar tracker works with images, it tracks pixels and returns coordinates that are related to where the item you tracked is on-screen.
But the *.obj you've imported lives in Fusion's 3D world until you make it an image through the Renderer3D unless you do that the planar tracker can't 'talk' to the 3D world.

Right now your questions aren't specific enough to answer them precisely ;)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Cutsom

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 am

Thanks so much Sander de regt. The Renderer3d node was the solution. I tried it before but also with a bunch or merge 3d nodes which messed it up. But do you know how to get any sort of realistic render of my mesh? Because rn i just see a white print of the sunflower.Image

Bryan Ray

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 pm

It needs a material, and probably textures. Also, you'll need to turn on Enable Lighting and Enable Shadows in your 3Rn. Here's an article about rendering in Fusion's 3d workspace that might help you:
http://www.bryanray.name/wordpress/blac ... workspace/
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

groslaine

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Well, it depends greatly on the nature of your shot and the camera move. If your 3d object stays in one spot, and there is a convenient surface or feature near that spot, and the camera does not move too far laterally (such that it would expose the fact that your object is simply flat), then you could get by with a planar or point track.

If you really need a 3d camera, though (and Fusion Studio features are strictly off-limits), your only recourse is going to be to try to find a way to make a track and import it to Fusion. I believe that Blender has a reasonably good 3d tracker, although learning the Blender interface is daunting if you've never used it before. If you go that route, you'd need to export the camera in Alembic format. You could also use FBX, but getting the versions to match right usually takes some trial-and-error. Then import it to Fusion using File > Import > Alembic Scene…

I did a tracking in blender and export as FBX or/and Alembic but the thing is fusion tab (in resolve 15.2) seem not dealing with this kinf format. Well if I have a cube in my blender scene it will import the cube but not the camera and the mouvement. And If I make a camera3d node in fusion and choose "import camera" and then select the alembic it say "Unsupported file format".
So I'm not able to bring camera data in fusion tab, if anyone have a solution it will be great.
Thx

xunile

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Make sure that when you select the Import Alembic Scene from the Fusion menu, that you make sure the Import Cameras checkbox is checked. I just imported a scene from Blender and the camera works as expected in Fusion.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

groslaine

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 8:58 pm

Actually my bad. I did it wrong, well not realy but I find the way.
I was Importing the alembic via the node or the media pool, but like Bryan Ray said It only work on the fusion top tab (I dont know the proper term for that) and not the resolve > file >import file.
At least it's the only way I found to make it work in resolve 15.2.

Return to Fusion