Minimum post systems for BRAW/DNG/Prores?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Wayne Steven

Minimum post systems for BRAW/DNG/Prores?

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm

I was just looking at posting a post about if anybody had figured this out yet, and decided to make it into a thread. The Braw bit is "Marketing" but you are welcome to try to figure it out from the mini 4.6k requirements based on clean footage, as that is what the Pocket 4k is more likely to produce. BM officials are welcome to contribute their insights?

I was walking past a IMac 27 inch today, and thought to myself, that might be all you need one day. But the current GPU is not the best, but maybe it could still handle Braw realtime. Which is tantalising considering how minimal your system and rig might get.

But we are getting to a point where a laptop might do. But for 8k, another interest, a desktop might still be preferable. So any insight into that would be appreciated too?

Thanks.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

MishaEngel

Re: Minimum post systems for BRAW/DNG/Prores?

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Have a look here https://www.cinema5d.com/blackmagic-raw-dynamic-range-on-the-ursa-mini-pro-4-6-tested/

One note upfront: I was very surprised to see the playback performance of BRAW in DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.2. I am using an I7-4720HQ Laptop with 16GB RAM and a GTX980M graphics card, and 4.6k ProRes XQ resulted in ~7 frames / second playback (fps), 4.6k RAW DNG (lossless) resulted in ~11 fps, whereas BRAW had smooth 24 fps playback in a UHD timeline! Hence, not only smaller filesizes with BRAW but also vastly improved playback – a real winner combination.

When you do more effects, the GPU will bottleneck you eventually.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 am

Thanks for that. Yes slow downs are inevitable. But I'm curious how Prores is performing worse than dng, we have come a long way, but I suspect it is the laptop hardware configuration bottlenecks here, like storage system performance as it does not seem to be getting bottlenecked on debayering etc but on file datarate.

But what about the minimum being the basics at highest modes (4kp60)?
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Chris Whitten

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 am

I've been editing and grading very easily using a 2017 MacBook Pro. It doesn't like Fusion however.
I haven't delved into the higher quality 4K raw settings on my Pocket 4K yet, but Pro Res HQ is fine. I used the same laptop to edit music videos with original Pocket raw all the time, no problem.
To be honest, most of the time over the last 8 or so years Resolve has worked fine on my old iMac and new MBP.
With the newer Pocket quality and latest versions of Resolve everything sped up and was more smoother to operate when I purchased the MBP.
I grade and edit, I don't need complex fx or composites.
Chris Whitten

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm

While DNG is too much for the CPU, my iMac can handle BRaw in 4.6K just fine.
If things get too hard for the GPU, an eGPU would help.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Cinematography